Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362546 times)

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
@ davidP81,

That's the benefit of sharing thoughts and experiences on forums like this because of the great insight offered by those who have taken preventative action (e.g mikegti77) and those who have been afflicted like you.  Thanks for sharing this.

I had already decided that if I'm satisfied they get the car up to visual/ cosmetic standard as promised, meaning I'm having the car, I'll then discuss the subject of the tensioner and the best way forward with them (no point in addressing that now in case the deal falls through on cosmetics etc). 

Your experience and the VW Warranty approach are exactly as VW warranty explained to me the other day.  Basically, that the warranty company has a clear expectation that proper and robust pre sales inspections are carried out by main dealers (obviously to avoid dealers potentially cutting corners resulting in warranty prematurely being relied on to 'pay out').

I did think there was a £5k limit with the warranty though? ...and was wary of that because I think I've read some people saying main dealers wanted approx. £6k to repair consequential timing chain tensioner/ related damage.

I doubt the dealer I'm buying from will agree to replace the tensioner upon my request unless there's a demonstrable symptom (rattle etc).  But I would expect them to confirm in writing that within the first 12 months, for example, they guarantee that having declined my pre-sales request to change the relevant components, then if it does fail in that time period, between the selling garage and the warranty company they will repair all at no cost to me.

@davidp81 - Are you prepared to say which dealer/ group you bought from?

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2014, 11:00 by Pld118 »

Offline davidp81

• Just got here
I bought mine from Lookers in Battersea and overall I have been really impressed. I had the car recovered to my local VW dealer in Basingstoke and they quoted potential labour costs just to investigate the fault. I contacted Lookers and they recovered the car back to themselves and provided a courtesy car straight away. I had actually owned the car 32 days when it failed but they did give me the option to exchange the car for any other as part of the 30 day exchange scheme they run. I chose to get the work done to the car though as it was the exact spec (3 door, Candy white) that I had gone out looking for.

It's been extremely frustrating being without the car for 3 weeks so soon after spending out so much (last car was a Type R and did not have a single fault in 8 years), but putting things in to perspective the fact it is not costing me anything to get such a big job done is definitely a positive and why I stumped up extra cash to buy approved used.

They're excellent cars though so good luck with the purchase.  :smiley:

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
Thanks davidP81

Offline fentshire

• Not said much yet
Hello there all of you with Golf Mk 6 GTI timing issues.

Here is my little story...

I live mostly in Vienna, but use my Golf Mk 6 GTI when back in England and drive over to Vienna three or four times a year.

I purchased my car (Candy white, 3 doors) second hand, from Listers in Leamington Spa in July 2012. It is an October 59 reg, it had 19k miles on the clock. I fortunately purchased a two year VW warranty with it.

I have enjoyed driving it over the last 21 months and had no problems. It now has 45k miles on it. It has been serviced at a local independent garage, when required. However, a week ago, I flew back to London Gatwick, from Vienna, ready to enjoy a late night drive up the M40 to my home in Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands. After 30 minutes, I stopped for a midnight cappuccino to keep me going. When, I turned on the engine again, I noticed the warning light come on and an awkwardness in the starting of the car. Now, I have no knowledge of engines, nor mechanics. I can fill it up with petrol and that is about it.

I drove back home and the following day, I immediately booked it into my local official VW garage - Johnsons. They were really helpful and a lady called Laura was sparkling with helpfulness. I guessed it might be the starter motor, because of the whirring sound when turning the key in the ignition. But as mentioned, I am clueless about engines. I had guesstimated a bill of up to £400+.I waited about 30 minutes and then an engineer came out. He told me the timing chain had gone and the car was undrivable.

Then it was back to Laura. My first question was to ask her how much it might cost in the worst case. She said they would have to investigate properly, but it could be circa £2k ish. My heart dropped and my wallet was screaming at me in my back pocket. I politely told her I had purchased the car from Listers in L. Spa and had a 2 year VW warranty. She said leave it with me.

I flew back to Vienna last week and until this afternoon had heard nothing. I took this to be bad news and was expecting to be £2k lighter in my bank a/c when all this was through.

Well the wonderful news is I received an email from Laura this afternoon, to say my car would be completely mended in the next few days, with zero cost to me (because of the warranty) and would then be delivered to my home, ready for when I get back from Vienna in 10 days.

Brilliant and so very pleased. Hats off to Laura for her excellent customer service and thank heavens I purchased the VW warranty.

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
Further reassurance there fentshire  :smiley:

Y'day morning, I raised this topic with the selling VW main dealer.  The sales person said - having spoken to both his Sales and Service Manager - this is not an issue they have experienced in 8 years of working there.  They verbally reassured me that their pre sales service inspection was robust and that they would not intend to change the tensioner parts as a preventative measure as there are no symptoms on the car either (I explained there are not always symptoms). 

Whilst verbally informing me not to worry as between the warranty and the dealership, I would be covered without cost in the even of a failure, they would not confirm that in writing, aside to the wording of the VW warranty.

They did show me the pre sales inspection paperwork for this car and despite having had a major service in November, last month they did a full service, all filters changed, wiper blades all changed, rear brake pads changed and 2 new rear tyres amongst other things; and all of that aside to a lot of well done interior and exterior cosmetic repairs and trim/ accessory replacement that I requested as part of the deal. 

Their seemingly honourable and thorough approach on other issues, combined with the 12 month Das Welt VW warranty (and some good examples on this forum of the VW warranty covering such failures); and my S.O.G.A rights does make me feel reassured not to become too paranoid about this potential issue.

I did wonder though if before collection, I should suggest what if I pay for the parts, will they stand the labour time and just get this done (a stitch in time and all that)...

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
Further reassurance there fentshire  :smiley:

Y'day morning, I raised this topic with the selling VW main dealer.  The sales person said - having spoken to both his Sales and Service Manager - this is not an issue they have experienced in 8 years of working there.  They verbally reassured me that their pre sales service inspection was robust and that they would not intend to change the tensioner parts as a preventative measure as there are no symptoms on the car either (I explained there are not always symptoms). 

Whilst verbally informing me not to worry as between the warranty and the dealership, I would be covered without cost in the even of a failure, they would not confirm that in writing, aside to the wording of the VW warranty.

They did show me the pre sales inspection paperwork for this car and despite having had a major service in November, last month they did a full service, all filters changed, wiper blades all changed, rear brake pads changed and 2 new rear tyres amongst other things; and all of that aside to a lot of well done interior and exterior cosmetic repairs and trim/ accessory replacement that I requested as part of the deal. 

Their seemingly honourable and thorough approach on other issues, combined with the 12 month Das Welt VW warranty (and some good examples on this forum of the VW warranty covering such failures); and my S.O.G.A rights does make me feel reassured not to become too paranoid about this potential issue.

I did wonder though if before collection, I should suggest what if I pay for the parts, will they stand the labour time and just get this done (a stitch in time and all that)...

my advice would be to just enjoy your car :)

you've asked the right questions, you are aware of the potential issue and importantly you have a good warranty, so i would not worry.  in 12 months time when the warranty expires decide what you want to do. if you do decide to change the tensioner in a years time, think of it as a cam belt change (in cost terms).  One thing that maybe worth checking is the car build date, if second half of 2010 you may have a revised version of the tensioner fitted already, exact dates of version at start of this thread, 2009 / early 2010 versions seem to be the affected ones i believe.

enjoy your car when you collect it, drive it as it should be, they are great cars!
MK7 GTI, Carbon Grey, Pan Sunroof

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
Thanks for the reply Mike. 

The garage declined to do this preventative work either fully or on a labour only/ I pay for the parts basis, the sales person reiterating not to worry, the warranty/ group will cover it in the event of a failure.  Anyway, it's all documented that I broached the subject with them yesterday and today and made a reasonable offer to partially pay for the work before collection of the car and therefore save the warranty company/ organisation a much larger outlay in the future should failure occur.  I'm satisfied I've done what I reasonably can for now and that I've got adequate protection in the event of a failure during the warranty period; and if the car behave's itself, it will be kept beyond the initial warranty period and the warranty extended by me anyway.  The car has a fantastic service history and is later 2010MY so touch wood...

Offline herbie911

• Here all the time
Hi Guys and Gals,
Not been here for a while. My car was four years old with 39000miles on the clock when the engine called it a day. Didn't realised I am not the only with a a blown engine.
The story starts last summer when my car makes a funny rattling noise every morning. I took it to the dealer and left the car overnight. They said they didn't hear anything. As my work is busy I plan to wait til my next service in a months time before asking them to review the issue again. After two weeks, the car starts to consume more fuel and one saturday morning it just won't start. Luckily in my own home!The RAC guy immediately told me it is bad news and mentioned he towed another MK 6 GTI a week ago. It took my local dealer 3 weeks before they starts looking at my car and told me the cylinder head had gone due to problem with the timing belt. It took another week before they put a new engine in my car. They did lend me a courtesy car for that week. Fortunately, I went for the extended warranty when the factory one expired. I just wonder why VW don't do what Porsche do with the GT3, just recall the whole batch and fix the problem. Although the dealer had been helpful, I lost a bit of confidence with the brand!
« Last Edit: 01 April 2014, 14:27 by herbie911 »

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
Because Porsche care about their reputation. And also there isnt that many GT3 to recall, there are hundreds of GTI, Octavia II, A3, Leon etc that would need it doing. It would cost them a fortune.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Also because its not a saftey risk. Unlike a gt3 bursting into flames.

herbie911 can I add you too the list? Anymore details if I add you?
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.