Author Topic: How To: Custom White Balance (Or shoot cars in carparks under orange lights!)  (Read 27645 times)

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
Can't you just shoot in RAW, then set the W/B after?

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Yes you can but when working under sodium street lighting it's much much better to get it right in camera as you get consistancy with your shots all looking the same colour balance wise. Photoshop is OK for correcting WB but the camera is better at it.

nick

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
I'll have a fiddle with it tomorrow, make sure you bring your manual :-)

nick

see shady... what did i tell you!  :grin:

You must of read his mind lol!

Cheers Nick, will do, I didn't bother with the light trails last night as I couldn't get a decent white balance on the go :(

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
That's a shame mate but we'll get ya sorted. You should have had a go anyway!

Nick

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
That's a shame mate but we'll get ya sorted. You should have had a go anyway!

Nick

Well I did, I put the camera on the tripod and set it to shutter priority, and had a 20 sec delay on it, and then drove in front of it lol! I'll post the results in a bit.

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
do you just take the white paper so you can adjust the WB on the camera until the piece of paper goes white? and do you put the paper under the light or something? if so is it the whole sheet or sould there be some background?

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
do you just take the white paper so you can adjust the WB on the camera until the piece of paper goes white? and do you put the paper under the light or something? if so is it the whole sheet or sould there be some background?

+1 I need to know this as well.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
The piece of paper needs to fill the 90% of the viewfinder and it needs to be under the light conditions under which you're shooting. As to how to change it in your cameras you'll have to refer to your manual as they each do it differently.

Nick

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
ok so i dont know if you remember. i posted up some pictures in the light trials section of cars on the motorway. the pictures came out really orange and i think that is what was dimming the red lights of the cars.

if i wanted to set the white balance on that how would i go about that? because i wouldnt be able to get under the light to set the WB. so would i just show about 10% of where im shooting (if you know what i mean)

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
In that case you're a bit screwed but you can try the different default values for WB and see if any improve it a bit.

Nick