Author Topic: Flood damage, need advice  (Read 2664 times)

Offline gti_mk3

• Not said much yet
Flood damage, need advice
« on: 30 November 2009, 22:45 »
Hi all,
A bad day today. Went through a flood in my lovely 8v and it conked out.  :cry:
Got it towed home, and had to rush to work in my other car. Upon getting home I lifted the bonnet to assess the damage. Long story short, water made its way up into the induction system and into the cylinders. I took all the plugs out and with the help of a torch could see water down there. The engine turns over ok (with plugs out) with no nasty noises although I think there's still water in the inlet manifold as after cranking it there's still water visible down the plug holes.

I can't pull it to pieces really until the weekend unfortunately but do you think this is definitely a head off job? Or will cleaning out the inlet manifold and churning it over get rid of enough moisture in order to be able to start it? I think the former really, just need a sanity check tbh.

Also the exhaust is full of water, is the cat likely to be fecked because of this? esp cos its going to freeze tonight?

Any advice? (other than stay away from effing flooded roads)

Cheers in advance
Chris

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: Flood damage, need advice
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2009, 00:14 »
If it stopped running then fair chance it has locked up, going to be better to remove the head as a 1st step.

Offline gti_mk3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2009, 10:48 »
cheers for reply. when you say "locked up" what do you mean?
it turns over ok

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2009, 12:12 »
cheers for reply. when you say "locked up" what do you mean?
it turns over ok

It may turn over but I suspect you have bent a valve.