Author Topic: **About £500 to spend.... what should I get? **  (Read 3073 times)

Offline ANT_1

• GTI forum regular
Ive got the standard GTI stereo i think, tape and CD... i used to have alpine in my old car but my dads had that, and I'd like an upgrade anyway...

Ive got 2 DIN slots to fill no? so i was thinking alpine screen or something along those lines, can someone reccommend me some...

I'd also like a 6 disc changer and some speaker suggestions for the front that will fit in the standard pods.

I dont want to use my 12" sub in the golf, think ive grown out of it, maybe an 8" one....

Any suggestions?

the £500 is for the headunit really... or HU and graphic equaliser...? its either that or stick with the standard and buy a road angel navigator...

or should i spend a bit more and get in dash sat nav... but do they have the speed camera plotted on them?

cheers
ANT

Offline ANT_1

• GTI forum regular
been trawling ebay... but confused... dont know any of the brands... and do I go for a double DIN screen and a cd/dvd/mp3 auto changer in the boot? would that be better?

ANT

Offline gibson

• GTI forum regular
watch with the unknown branded stuff. May seem cheap but ya get what ya pay for remember!! Ive seen a few and you can barely see the screens during the day they are so poor.

Not to say that some of them arent a bargain. But i'd stick with alpine/pioneer/kenwood etc

Offline ANT_1

• GTI forum regular
any suggestions?

shud i save for one with sat nav or buy a cheaper one and get a road angel navigator?

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
The only double DIN headunit worth your hard earned is the Kenwood DDX8027 or DDX6027. They don't have Nav as standard, but have the option to add it. Neither do speed camera's. None of the decent screens do.

You'll be pushed to find a legit one for 500 notes though.

On that budget I'd do for something like the Alpine CDA-9855R in the dash. Use the other DIN hole for gauges maybe? Then proper cabling throughout and a nice little subwoofer to bring up the bottom end. Stick with the standard mk4 setup. I am right in assuming you have a mk4 golf?

If you're wanting to swap out front speakers for components try and budget for a quality amp to power them. components off the headunit is always a mistake long term. Not enough power to run them properly. a nice little 2x50w will do. Proper phat power cable is a must with half decent RCA cables.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline ANT_1

• GTI forum regular
Ive thought about gauges... what gages can you have apart from boost gauge...?

theres a load of brands ive never heard of on ebay, you reckon i shud steer well clear?

ive already got an amp 4x100, i would like a small sub i think, got rid of my 12" from my old car

are the standard gti speakers ok? they sound sh!t at the mo, but that mite be the standard head unit yeah?

illprobably do components later... Id like cd/dvd changer, screen, and something to fillt he second din slot... thougth about double DIN screen...?

:undecided:

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
stay well away from ebay screens. all those brands you've never heard of are really poor quality and the ones you have heard of have no warrenty backup. If I was parting with over 500 notes I'd want some reasurance of a warrenty.

gauges... oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, vacume, air/fuel ration, fuel pressure, voltage, ammeter, exhaust temp, inlet temp, fuel level and a clock...
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline ANT_1

• GTI forum regular
i have no idea how to wire up gauges...  :undecided:

Offline ANDY_GTI_T

• Just got here
Hey,

I hav a Pioneer P5700 DVD player + Screen in my motor.  Cost £1000 4months ago n is sweet as.  Just a single DIN unit.  I am going to sell it now tho cos im board of it.  Just want a really good Alpine headunit.

Offline ANT_1

• GTI forum regular
go to www.saxosportsclub.com and GEM is selling a really nice new gen alpine one in parts for sale.