Author Topic: Track pad recomendations  (Read 10785 times)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: Track pad recomendations
« Reply #20 on: 14 August 2012, 09:29 »
I know, but the reason I ask is because at speed the wheel causes higher air pressure in the wheel arch and causes the car to lift. Its partly why a lot of high performance cars have vented wheel arches, not only for cooling but for aerodynamics.

Offline Nige

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 14 August 2012, 09:37 »
I know, but the reason I ask is because at speed the wheel causes higher air pressure in the wheel arch and causes the car to lift. Its partly why a lot of high performance cars have vented wheel arches, not only for cooling but for aerodynamics.
Yeah, agreed, the wheel acts as an air pump.

My aero isolates the wheel well as much as possible from the underneath, so there wasn`t as much air entering the well as usual, this meant I wouldn`t have had the same pressure as a stock car, which in turn meant I had the heat issues, ie melting dust caps.

Because of this, the venting of the arches wouldn`t be as noticeable on my car.

In answer to your question, No, I didn`t.  :wink: I already have a lot of aero grip but I didn`t notice a difference after adding the vents.

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #22 on: 14 August 2012, 09:51 »
Cheers. Have you got any pics of the underneath of your car? Have you got a full floor leading to the diffuser?

Offline Nige

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 14 August 2012, 10:22 »
Cheers. Have you got any pics of the underneath of your car? Have you got a full floor leading to the diffuser?
Yep, although we are veering off topic here  :grin:.
This is the view from the diffuser (you can see the vertical fins at the top of the photo) looking towards the front of the car

Outside

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #24 on: 14 August 2012, 10:38 »
Looks so good. It's great inspiration.

Offline Prawny

• Here all the time
  • R-tech power!!!
« Reply #25 on: 14 August 2012, 10:54 »
Stupid car  :evil: goes round corners FAR too quickly for a mk2 Golf!

Offline DOA

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 26 August 2012, 21:49 »
Well, a bit late, but time for a wee update on the DS2500's following my second sprint and club afternoon at Curborough from a couple of weekends ago.

First thing to mention is that the brakes are as good as anything I have ever used, giving excellent feel and modulation in both wet and dry conditions as well as excellent initial bite (not too strong, but lets you know how to modulate from the initial pedal application). The brakes are more than capable of exceeding the capabilities of the (now thoroughly scrubbed in) Toyo Proxes T1-R's, although I would expect that from the basic brakes anyway. Sadly I cannot really comment on dust and fade as I simply have not put enough miles on the pads or hammered them on track, but considering the heavy breaking in proceedure and their use thus far, there is minimal wear and zero signs of cracking and glazing. The OEM spec 239mm discs are already showing signs of wear though..... The one thing I will qualify all of the above with is that I really have not had the opportunity to hammer the pads on a track (Curborough is only 75 seconds for me on a two lapper) but, having let a (cone bashing) friend who has never driven the car before, loose in the car for a few laps, he also felt that the brakes were rather good considering the age of the car. Shame his puny arms couldn't deal with no power steering......

I would recommend the pads themselves to anyone needing a fast road/occasional track pad and I shall be fitting them to next years car......

For anyone who is interested, the following is my fastest run at Curborough on the 12th: http://youtu.be/ADcPnJy5Vh4
To put the time into perspective, this and my fastest timed run in the dry would have put me 0.2 secs behind an ABF equiped Ibiza cupra 16V that was running on my first event and there is time that I could still find if I wasn't swapping to the Clio for next year. Sadly I fear I will not be matching Nige's times any time soon in either of the track cars..
« Last Edit: 26 August 2012, 22:06 by DOA »

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #27 on: 23 September 2012, 19:40 »
Has anyone used Pagid Blue RS4-2's before. Road or track?  :nerd:
Evolution Map / Longlife USA 80mm TBE w/100 cell Sports Cat / ITG Maxogen G60 / Forge Twintercooler/ Forge TB Hose / R8 Coilpacks / EBC D&G Front & Rear Discs / EBC Yellowstuff Pads / BSH PCV Kit / Poly Pro Front & Rear / W.A.L.K / APR Torque Arm / 034Motorsport Density Line Engine Mounts / Vibratechnics Subframe Mount / Vibratechnics Dogbone Bush

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline Nige

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 17 November 2012, 04:26 »
No, but I`ve heard very good things about them.