Author Topic: 1.8t 20v conversion probs.  (Read 6627 times)

Offline swiss

• Not said much yet
1.8t 20v conversion probs.
« on: 03 April 2008, 15:05 »
Hi,

I'm just in the middle of douing the 20v swap, its going in to a mk2 8v (late spec) using an agu with an 02j gearbox.

I've used the 02a gearbox arm (357 199 356) to reach the rear gearbox mount. I've also used a mechanical clutch actuator in order to keep my clutch, cable operated.

The problem I'm having is:

The gearbox arm (357 199 356) has a piece to hold the clutch cable. This seems to be in the way oh the gear selector mechanism. tho be exact its the reverse light switch thats in the way.
 :cry:
Questions I have:

Has any one fitted an 02j box with cable clutch?

Does any one have a pic of how they have made this work?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Offline swiss

• Not said much yet
Re: 1.8t 20v conversion probs.
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2008, 20:47 »
bump

Offline ben44

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2008, 19:15 »
the problem youve got my man is that the cable conversion was intended to fit 02a boxes and youve got the 02j. you could try fitting the complete shift mechanism from an 02a (undo the two 13mm bolts and it pulls out the box) although whether it fits i dont know? other than that youll just have to bite the bullet and fit the hydraulic pedal box (corrado or passat b3) and associated bits, it is not as hard as it seems, (i avoided doin mine for ages!lol)you dont have to remove the dash or take the engine out despite what people told me   :rolleyes: it only took a morning to do!
hope that helps :cool:
My signiture sucks..........................

Offline swiss

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2008, 21:31 »
Thanks ben44.

I think I've worked a way round it,

If I remove the c-cable support ear that holds the outer casing in place. extend the steel 02a arm bacwads & weld that ear further back. I should be able to get the clearance thats needed.

We'll have to try that first thing and then see what comes from it.

May well go hydrolic if it works out to not to costly

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2008, 21:49 »
I'm just fitting a cable-changer with a cable clutch on it.

It should work fine, provided you use the right kit.  You need a gearbox bracket from an early to mid 90's Toledo 16V, which holds the cable from the same car, which you will also need.  The actuator bracket (which it sounds like you already have) was from an early 90's Passat 2.0.

Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline swiss

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2008, 22:05 »
On my 02j the reverse light switch is in the way of that ear piece holding the outer clutch cable (black) to the gearbox mouting bracket.

Will try eng move it further away and see what hapens, it has to go regardles and less I can put the gear change in back to front?

Offline ben44

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2008, 18:22 »
update. the shift tower is interchangeable between 02a and 02j. this guide will help but they are doing it the other way round!

Offline swiss

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2008, 19:03 »
Cheers man.

Gonna go hydrolic, after hours of messing arround trying to make something from nothing, we worked out its defo the better option.

To be honest with out my good friend/mechanic who owns SL Autos I would still be scratching my head on what to takle next.

Well now that issue is sorted, well sort of. Still need to put the pedal box in but thats not to major. just need to plumb the enine in and hope the loom works.
 still need to mod the down pipe and make a mount for my intercooler and just make the car look normal again.

Well any advice/links on the hydrolic clutch would be ace if posible.

Thanks a bunch.

Offline ben44

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2008, 09:47 »
its pretty straight forward mate.................

at the bottom of this page http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=76658.0

Offline swiss

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 08 April 2008, 23:52 »
Did the hydrolic clutch today, just need to bleed it and extend the brake vacume.

We went to start the car today and started first time. sounds awesome :evil:

Hopefully be able to drive it again after being off the road for one week, can't wait.

Thanks for all the help.