Author Topic: 8v Vs 16v  (Read 8243 times)

Offline Colin

• Not said much yet
Re: 8v Vs 16v
« Reply #20 on: 17 August 2004, 10:42 »
A new cam is the way to go now as previously stated, if you can stretch to a new 4-1 exhaust manifold and if possible a performance exhaust, to really make use of the engines new breathing abilities.
Change the air filter as well, no point in choking the engine!
One minor point ! Why was the crank lightened and balanced and the flywheel untouched? chop half a ton out of the flywheel and it'll rev like a motorbike !
It'll be a b!tch in traffic tho......
ps. that reminds me, don't use a radical cam if it's your daily commuter.

Offline davidhawkins_78

• I live here
  • Valver Bad Boy
« Reply #21 on: 17 August 2004, 12:03 »
lol ... no lairy cam - BORING !!

What ever happened to idling at 4000 rpm at lights and having to drive it like an F1 car all the time eh ?

;D  ;D  ;D

'89 Monza Blue Valver
to quote a VW engineer, "the Mk1 was the prototype, the Mk2, the real thing!"

Offline 16v Matt

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 17 August 2004, 12:19 »
LOL ;D

Offline knobby

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 17 August 2004, 22:33 »
LOL.. very funny posts guys.. and thanks for the info.. seems i need to call TSR see how much its gonna cost be to change the cam.

I wanna get it put on a rolling road see what she puts out.. just im way down south in hampshire and it seems all u boyz are from up north.

Where can i go in my area.. n e one know..

Cheers

Dave

Old VW's never die...they just go faster!

Offline Rob mk1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 17 August 2004, 22:46 »
Dave, Where in Hampshire, if your anywhere near Aldershot there's a place called SAS in Holder RD GU12 4RH. They have a website but it is called Tuning Japanese. They charge ?75 per Hr on the rollers.

Hope this helps

Rob ;)

Offline knobby

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 17 August 2004, 23:02 »
Yeah thats not far from me.. gonna call some places tomorrow and get some prices.

So what u recon the BHP will be??

Offline Rob mk1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 17 August 2004, 23:19 »
Just had a look at the TSR site and found the following:-
In 8V injection form, a 1.9l short engine fitted with a Pack A cylinder head and Eurotech 102 camshaft (Eurotech 202 in hydraulic head engines) gives a totally reliable 135bhp.

This is almost the same power output as a standard European Golf 16V but with masses of mid-range torque which makes this engine a winner in the Traffic Light Grand Prix!

So yours should be pretty similar. Had any traffic light GP's lately

Rob

Offline knobby

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 17 August 2004, 23:42 »
not really.. but was racing a new 1.8Turbo golf around some B roads the other day.. and he could keep up in the corners but i lost him on the straights he didnt have the inital power punch. this was with the older wheels on it i recon now with my 17's id have him for sure.

no off the light GPs yet though.. Where is the next big meet then around south?

Offline knobby

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 18 August 2004, 10:52 »
Got it booked in tomorrow morning at 8 for a rolling road test so we should find out the BHP tomorrow. Would be cool to know what u currently think it stands at.

its only gonna cost ?50 does that sounds pretty cheap to you guys?

Offline davidhawkins_78

• I live here
  • Valver Bad Boy
« Reply #29 on: 18 August 2004, 10:58 »
Sounds fine to me - on modern fuel injection cars there's very little tuning you can do improve the figure compared to say re-jetting / balancing a pair of DCOE. Really your paying for the engineer's time and the time it takes to tweak the best from your car.

I'd say you'll be running 125 - 140 bhp depending on the other parts around the engine - (exhaust - air intake / filter - fuel / ignition maps etc )

All the best - and get rid of those acceleration sapping 17's - 15's all the way ;)

'89 Monza Blue Valver
to quote a VW engineer, "the Mk1 was the prototype, the Mk2, the real thing!"