Author Topic: Around £5-6K to spend, advice wanted  (Read 2681 times)

Offline zxrmatt

• Not said much yet
Around £5-6K to spend, advice wanted
« on: 02 November 2005, 12:22 »
I`m helping my g/f look for a MK4 golf at the moment.

Ideally she needs something with around 50k or less on the clock.

We are going to look at a 1999 GTI 1.8T at the weekend, and possible also a 1999 1.8 20v NA. Would also be interested in the GT TDI but these seem to be out of the price range.

Any advise on what would be best to go for and anything specific to look out for, as there seems to be a few know faults with these, i.e. the window runners, coils etc?

Also she obviously doesnt want to buy a car thats going to need a load of cash spending on it as soon as she gets it home, so i guess the newer the better?

Also what are the chances of the turbo engine blowing? Is this common, as i have read about one guy on here who has blown his enigne and my friend seems to think its not that uncommon?

At the moment she has a MK2 8v and wants something with around the same performance.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 02 November 2005, 12:31 by zxrmatt »

Offline kniterider

• I live here
  • had most, sold most and often buy more!
Re: Around £5-6K to spend, advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2005, 20:07 »
not knocking what ive got (1.8 20v n/a) but if you can get something nippier a 1.8t with a few more miles would be better, cause the performance side of things aint that good on this model... not the slowest... but it certainly dosnt make you think wow!!

any engine in any car can blow, not if you take the right precautions if it (wether a turbo or not) hasnt had the cambelt/tensioners etc done before you bye you wanna be knocking it off the price then youll be pretty safe i reckon!

:smiley:

Offline PaulMK4GTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2005, 14:22 »
I've got the same as Kniterider (1.8 20V NA). It a 1999 model and it had done 60K when I bought it about 10 months ago - it cost me just under 6k.

I agree with kniterider, if you can get the turbo version for the cash then do. The actual performance figures as standard are pretty similar. The turbo has an extra 25bhp, will get to 60 about 1.5 seconds quicker and top end is about 10mph more than the NA version. However it's also 4 insurance groups higher. The thing is the turbo is much more tuneable if you want more power at a later stage.

Having said that i am happy with mine, it's not slow and they are good to drive, but like Kniterider said you won't be blown away. If you're not too bothered about having the various modifying options later (bigger turbos, remap etc) then go test drive the NA version, it will do 0-60 in a similar time to the mk2 8V and has a better top end than the mk2 and maybe the saving in insurance over the turbo version will swing it for you.

Regarding what to look out for, if it's done 60K check the cam belt and tensioner have been done. It'll cost you around £300 if not. Even if the car's only done 50K it's worth baring in mind it'll need doing within the next year or so. Not Cheap.

Coil packs aren't a problem on the NA but are on the Turbo i believe. Other than that, check the electrics - windows and central locking (the lock mechanism has just bust on mine - common problem apparently).

Good luck...

Offline zxrmatt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2005, 15:36 »
Cheers guys.

Had a few quotes and the insurance is going to be about £100 difference between the turbo and NA, so not a great deal really.

I`m guessing that the other half isnt going to be too bothered about power increases or doing much modding on the mk4, so maybe the NA will be fine.

We have booked a test drive on saturday for a 1.8t so i`ll have to see how it goes on saturday :grin:

Sugar79

« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2005, 14:41 »
Had a few quotes and the insurance is going to be about £100 difference between the turbo and NA, so not a great deal really.

:shocked: :shocked: your lucky when i was looking for my golf, the insurance quotes i was getting for a 1.8T where unreal!!! well over a grand which i refuse to pay so thats why i bought the 2.0GTi instead  :sad:

Offline zxrmatt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2005, 14:50 »
£1000! :shocked:

Myself and the g/f are both over 26, although she only has 2 years no claims, 1 accident and 3 points.

FC = £300 or 410for turbo! not bad considering she pays £300 now for her mk2

Offline charri42

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2005, 00:29 »
Having owned a 1.8 NA, 2.0 (in a Bora) and 1.8t mark 4 I would wholly reccomend getting a 1.8T. Much quicker and more economical too. My current 1.8T averages 38mpg compared with 33 for the 2.0 over similar driving. Strangely, the 1.8 NA is less economical than the 1.8T. Much nicer spec on the 1.8t also and I reckon you should get a nice car for £5k.

I need to sell my car soon to make way for an estate, its an 1.8T, 2001 X, pearl black met, climate, 3dr, 6 CD changer, red recaro, BBS split rim, 75K, FSH and I was only expecting low £5k's for it. I'd have thought you should get a nice car for £5-£6k, even the far more expensive turbo models

Good luck

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #7 on: 11 November 2005, 00:33 »
Having owned a 1.8 NA, 2.0 (in a Bora) and 1.8t mark 4 I would wholly reccomend getting a 1.8T. Much quicker and more economical too. My current 1.8T averages 38mpg compared with 33 for the 2.0 over similar driving. Strangely, the 1.8 NA is less economical than the 1.8T.

Probably because you have to drive the N/A's harder to keep moving swiftly along.  :wink:
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #8 on: 11 November 2005, 00:34 »
I`m helping my g/f look for a MK4 golf at the moment.

Ideally she needs something with around 50k or less on the clock.

We are going to look at a 1999 GTI 1.8T at the weekend, and possible also a 1999 1.8 20v NA. Would also be interested in the GT TDI but these seem to be out of the price range.

Any advise on what would be best to go for and anything specific to look out for, as there seems to be a few know faults with these, i.e. the window runners, coils etc?

Also she obviously doesnt want to buy a car thats going to need a load of cash spending on it as soon as she gets it home, so i guess the newer the better?

Also what are the chances of the turbo engine blowing? Is this common, as i have read about one guy on here who has blown his enigne and my friend seems to think its not that uncommon?

At the moment she has a MK2 8v and wants something with around the same performance.

Cheers

Forced induction is the way forward! :cool:
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0