Author Topic: Downside to chipping?  (Read 7950 times)

Offline fat bald bloke

• Just got here
Downside to chipping?
« on: 26 August 2003, 08:58 »
Chipping sounds great, it makes your car go faster - great.

But, are there downsides?

Does general engine wear increase ten-fold, does your insurance (if they're made aware) increase ten-fold?

Or, is it all good?

I have a 2000 V reg 150bhp 1.8t - that, incidentally, doesn't have the red Gti badge - why not?

golfvr6

Re:Downside to chipping?
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2003, 11:18 »
Chipping the car shouldn't give you any problems. As long as the turbo boost isn't too high!
The 150bhp 1.8T is detuned, it probs is a more natural 180bhp.

Offline fat bald bloke

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2003, 09:02 »
Many Thanks.

Would the 180bhp be exactly(?) the same engine and tuning as that in the Seat Leon Cupra?

Are you aware of anyone that's informed their insurance company and whether or not it made a big difference to their premium?

Despite being the ripe old age of 28 and with 4 years ncd most of the major insurers that I tried (online) wouldn't even offer me insurance on the car as it is!
Direct line gave me cover for a little over ?600 in the end.

Kerbed an alloy this morning.  Boo.

golfvr6

« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2003, 09:47 »
As far as i know all the 1.8T engines are pretty much the same, all to do with turbo boost and fuelling. If you chip it don't bother telling the insurance company, theres no way they are gonna know!

golfvr6

« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2003, 09:49 »
I know what you mean about insurance, i am 29 with 4ync , insurance  on my vr6 is just sh!t.

Offline GaryM

• GTI forum regular
  • Gary
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2003, 18:57 »

Despite being the ripe old age of 28 and with 4 years ncd most of the major insurers that I tried (online) wouldn't even offer me insurance on the car as it is!
Direct line gave me cover for a little over ?600 in the end.

Thats not bad at all, whats your excess?  Most policies wont cover under the age of 30.
I have had a quote off Esure for my soon to arrive 1.8T 180 - ?585 fully comp (?150 excess) - thats for me (30) and the missus (29), 7 years no claims and 3 points for speeding.

Gary

2003 (53) GTI 180  | Custom Code Phase1 remap (JBS)  | Click for photo's and spec

golfvr6

« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2003, 20:13 »
Thats not a bad quote!

Offline fat bald bloke

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2003, 08:16 »
I think my excess is ?150 too.

And yea, I wasn't too dissapointed with the ?600 quote, I was quite surprised that so many refused though.  I guess it's a nice car to steal though.  Actually it's a bloody lovely car to steal.

Might be old news to you guys but apparently an insurance premium will often go down if you add a named driver to your policy - something about the insurers seeing it as spreading the risk.

When people talk about being able to change the settings after chipping their car - is this done in the cabin via a nice looking switch or is it a bonnet up affair?  If it's in the cabin is it a nice looking thing to fit in with the quality of the interior?

golfvr6

« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2003, 13:52 »
Insurance go down when adding another driver? thats the first i heard of it. Every company i've tried want more if i put my wife on the policy.

Offline jblack

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2003, 01:03 »
Hi all,

I'm a bit a newbie to all this gti lark but bear with me ;)

I've just bought a y plate gti and the insurance quote I got went down by ?60 when I added the wife to the policy and that's with her 3 points for speeding??!?!??! Fact of the matter is she won't be going anywhere near the drivers seat but hey, if it knocks a few quid off then I'm all for it :)

Jim