Author Topic: Golf mark IV or V?  (Read 2606 times)

Offline GaryM

• GTI forum regular
  • Gary
Golf mark IV or V?
« on: 07 August 2003, 16:21 »
Hi

I am looking into changing my car and at the top of my list is a new Golf GTI 1.8 Turbo (180PS).
When are the mark V's realistically going to appear on the roads and is there a list of the models that will appear?
I would like to know if its worth waiting for the V or take the plunge with the IV on the new reg change.

Thanks

Gary

2003 (53) GTI 180  | Custom Code Phase1 remap (JBS)  | Click for photo's and spec

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Re:Golf mark IV or V?
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2003, 14:18 »
From what I've read in the car mags the MkV is due to be on sale in Feb of next year, with the GTi models being 'some of the first to arrive'.

Therefore I would expect them to be available on 04 plate from March.

Whilst a MkIV will indeed become cheaper when the MkV's are released they will also loose money much, much quicker, so you will have to do some maths - is saving a couple of grand at the point of buying gonna be worth it if that money and some is gonna be lost in worse residuals by the time you come to change again?

Personally, I would rather spend ?18k and drive round in a new car than spend maybe ?15.5k driving round in a car that had been replaced. That ?2.5K will still be 'in' the mkV when you come to change, and if the mags are to be believed you'll have a much more entertaining period of ownership with a MkV GTi than a Mk4 (its meant to be much better dynamically.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline Nimrod

• Not said much yet
Re:Golf mark IV or V?
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2003, 23:07 »
Latest word from the Frankfurt motor show is that the Golf mk V will be out the first quarter of next year.  It will initially have a choice of four engines, all of them sh*t.  something like a 1.4 & 1.6 petrol and a couple of diesels (neither of them the fantastic PD130 or PD150 variations).  The GTI's will be on the road around next september, including a 2.5 TDI with the DSG box from Audi, wowsers!
« Last Edit: 15 September 2003, 23:10 by Nimrod »