Author Topic: 1.8T Nightmare (continued) - Please help  (Read 26277 times)

Offline Krispy

• Here all the time
Re: 1.8T Nightmare - Please help
« Reply #10 on: 14 January 2009, 19:20 »
oh.. something i forgot to mention...
ive noticed that this happens sometimes, if i go over a bump or take a sudden turn also..

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #11 on: 14 January 2009, 19:38 »
tps is built into the throttle body

is this happening mostly when there's engine movement? as in enough to be yanking/trapping a dodgy earth?

Offline Krispy

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 14 January 2009, 19:59 »
ye, it only happens when the engine is moving

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #13 on: 14 January 2009, 20:13 »
tbh if it was an earth issue it would kill more than throttle, dash/lights/servo/pas etc.. happened to me once at 60mph in the wet, exciting!

here's a list of earth points to check anyway.. its yank so some things might be reversed for RHD http://mit.edu/dennis/www/vw/grounds.html

check the injector loom too though

it could be either of those but my gut still says tps.. maybe you can find a cheap or damaged 2nd hand throttle body on ebay and pinch the tps off it (vw don't sell it separately iirc)

Offline Krispy

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 14 January 2009, 20:22 »
alright mate ill give them a try, cheers for the advice~!!

Offline rheady

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 15 January 2009, 13:07 »
I have the same problem but its very intermittent. Took it to VW to check and they said it was the throttle sensor, funny they didn't find this when it was under warranty?? The throttle body I was quoted at £150. They said the cleaned the throttle housing and it was OK for a while. Looks like I'll be getting a new throttle body when I get paid. What made me laugh is that they said it would take 2 hours to fit and would cost £150 in labour.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #16 on: 15 January 2009, 13:10 »
I have the same problem but its very intermittent. Took it to VW to check and they said it was the throttle sensor, funny they didn't find this when it was under warranty?? The throttle body I was quoted at £150. They said the cleaned the throttle housing and it was OK for a while. Looks like I'll be getting a new throttle body when I get paid. What made me laugh is that they said it would take 2 hours to fit and would cost £150 in labour.

Good old Capitol in Merthyr i take it mate?  :rolleyes:

Offline rheady

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2009, 13:33 »
The previous owner took it to a few dealers as the fault was intermittent but it should have been picked up. Capitol are good at finding the faults its just the cost of the repairs. You'd think they'd drop their prices because of the credit crunch. They must just be doing services at the mo.

Offline Krispy

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 18 February 2009, 20:47 »
Bought a throttle body for £60 and put it on today hoping that it had cured the problem but 5mins after i left the garage it started its SH!T again.
« Last Edit: 18 February 2009, 20:59 by Krispy »

Offline scoobynutta

• Not said much yet
Re: 1.8T Nightmare (continued) - Please help
« Reply #19 on: 18 February 2009, 22:08 »
Had something similar on an old golf tdi mk4, turned out to be the previous owner had fit the wrong air filter (too big) which intermittantly caused the engine to lose power.