Author Topic: 1st MK1 Golf GTI  (Read 41572 times)

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
Re: 1st MK1 Golf GTI
« Reply #40 on: 10 March 2012, 23:26 »
Right bit of an update, nothing overly exciting but just carried on stripping and sniffing out the horrid rot so as it stands now it pretty much stripped interior wise and all windows and hatch removed

removed all the wiring and fusebox from the inside of the car, except the interior loom which i can't pull out as i cant unplug the connector from the fuel pump yet as its still on the car lol no biggy everything else is gone

took boot and rear lights out and also removed the vinyl from A & C pillars, was going to remove roof liner but then i discovered at some stage a little mouse had moved in, shreaded the sound deadener in the roof and bought some seeds with him HA! :grin:

Also had a little chew on interior light cable

Sorry some of the pics are cack i was in a rush, So iv left the front seats in as im running out of room in my man shed lol but took the wings off and fitted them im so i could get a better look at the inner arches and was fairly pleased  :nerd:

Bit of a poke shows nice primer behind the underseal and waxoil, Yayy  :laugh:
Boot has shown up a couple of minor areas that will need welding, nothing shocking though

That fixing point is shot and will need cutting out and new metal welded in

This ones better no rust just abit grotty but a lovely little whole on the right hand side!
Had abit of a poke at the seam sealer around the poorly fitted rear panel and werent the best  :undecided:
Doesnt look as thought the person who did the work knew what primer was for its just rotted behind it but must have bought a job lot of silicone from B&Q cus i sh!t you not theres that much silicone in random places on this car lol!

Just a random shot i took, Pigeon sh!te welding on passenger sill

Had some luck finding part numbers and finding some panels im going to need for the repairs on VW classic parts. Only problem is affording it now but welder should be here for early/mid april just had to get some practice in down the shed before unleashing myself on the beast.

Plan for next week is to "attempt" to remove the sound deadening from the floors to make the repairs needed, anyone have any tips?
Ill see how it goes lol.

Sorry for boreing you folks.

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 11 March 2012, 13:50 »
Good work so far mate! I reckon a hot air gun and a scraper should do the job :) maybe some degreaser and some rags, maybe thinners if needed to clean it all up afterwards :)

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #42 on: 11 March 2012, 17:01 »
Yeah iv had a look and screwfix special £14.99 for a hot air gun so will deffinately try that. Got a tin of gun thinners i bought ages ago on accident instead of panel wipe so fingers crossed good to go just hope its not an arse to get the bulk off lol.  :cry:

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 11 March 2012, 19:14 »
Haha, it probably will be lol! Worth it though :)

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #44 on: 13 March 2012, 21:14 »
Got back from work early today and as the weather was beautiful thought it would be rude not to do something so i went and found out the grinder and knotted wheel and attacked the rear quater and get it down to bare metal so i can remove the outer sill when i get chance to. Neway let the pics do the talking:

Yup pretty sh!te lol there must have been a good 10mm of filler in places and goes all the way upto the swage line.
Ripped it off, quick wipe over with panel wipe and quick spray with some zinc primer i had knocking around just to protect it until i can cut it off.
Also had some luck the weekend, littel gem turned up on ebay a Clarke 100EN mk2 mig with pretty much everything it came with from new, not been used much and only £120 smackers. Well chuffed just need to learn how to use it now before i unleash it on the car hehe. :smiley:

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 13 March 2012, 21:24 »
Its shocking how some people just bodge it like that! What would make you think that after welding, just a quick grind down will be "OK". It looks sh!t, and just causes more problems than were there initially.  :angry:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #46 on: 13 March 2012, 21:48 »
Exactly that! Thing is they cant have cut the rust out of the old panel before putting the new 1 over the top cus its rotted it all out! Doesnt even look like they have used primer on some stuff and just seam sealed it and its rotted from behind lol!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #47 on: 13 March 2012, 22:51 »
I'm quite shocked how this car was allowed to get so bad to then be ruined more by shoddy work...

I hope you got this car for a very good price.. Love the fact that you are learning to weld for for it.. You will be super proud when done.   Keep it up fella.  :cool:

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #48 on: 14 March 2012, 07:51 »
Lol define a good price?? Looking at it now i probly did pay abit too much but no point worrying about it now just need to make the best out of wat i have, yeah its something ive always fancied so be great to do it. I can see the finished article in my head just dont know how long its gunna take to get there lol!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #49 on: 14 March 2012, 09:30 »
Lol define a good price?? Looking at it now i probly did pay abit too much but no point worrying about it now just need to make the best out of wat i have, yeah its something ive always fancied so be great to do it. I can see the finished article in my head just dont know how long its gunna take to get there lol!

I don't know, being generous £350?

Regardless what you paid for it, at least you're saving it rather than letting it die.