Author Topic: Bad misfire..  (Read 26969 times)

Offline ANSA

• Not said much yet
Re: Bad misfire..
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2005, 17:06 »
yes i agree but still has the issues of bad miss fire

Offline tianaroja

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 02 February 2006, 16:31 »
TAKE THE TOP OFF THE MAF AND CLEAN THE SLIDING SCALE I THINK THIS HAS FIXED MINE

Offline marcogolfo

• I live here
  • Freelance Web Design, Logo Design etc email me
« Reply #22 on: 07 February 2006, 11:00 »
anyone got a picture of that for mk2 16v? :huh:

Offline tianaroja

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 08 February 2006, 19:14 »
on mk3 its on the top of the airbox black plastic bosch wrtitten on it if that helps

Offline Blobby

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 20 February 2006, 14:10 »
Wow.  I have just bought my first Mk2 8Valve GTi and all was fine then last night I started getting a missfire at around 2500 -3000 RPM when doing around 70Mph.  Have driven the car this morning and it's cleared but your advice is sound and something I may look into, Got any pics of what you did, as am fairly new to all this and not so experianced at electronics :smiley: :laugh:

Offline Blobby

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 23 February 2006, 11:12 »
Well I smelt petrol yesterday morning when I started the car, so thought I would investigate.  Turns out that the fuel pipe that goes to the injectors was lose and pissing fuel all over the manifold  :sick: So tightened this up and misfire seems to have gone now aswell as the danger of me exploding.

Offline Nils

• Just got here
« Reply #26 on: 24 March 2006, 03:55 »
Need some advice guys,

got a mk3 8v gti and basically couple of months ago got the thermostat changed cos it was running cold. before this got replaced I didn't get any juddering but afterwards I experience it once or twice on a long run but other than that the car ran sweet and got good mpg. dad said this was due to guys leaving air bubbles in system so was gonna drain it out and get rid of the air... anyways before I got round to this(it had been a month after thermostat repalcement) was driving home (100miles) and car started juddering/misfiring alot. me+dad replaced dizzie cap (bosch), rotor arm and leads (not VW ones) but seems to have got worse... now misfires everytime I drive to work and before the cap, arm, etc replacement this never happened, on top of this today on the motorway was doing 3k revs and suddenly just dropped to nearly cuttin out (bit scary)

so been readin various posts and seen following:

- clean throttle body
- reset ECU (Is this possible without takin to garage??)
- MAF replacement
- fuel and/or ECU relay
- coil
- etc....

funny thing is though it's got worse since we replaced the leads, etc... so maybe we got dodgy leads or ECU needs reset.... when it doesn't happen the car runs like a dream... HELP!!!!???

Offline Nils

• Just got here
« Reply #27 on: 08 April 2006, 17:34 »
Just thought I would give peeps a heads up regarding misfire/cut-out... seems like quite a few mark2/3 owners getting this problem... I got a mark3 8v and mine started misfiring really badly after replacing the dizzy cap, plug leads and rotor arm... it also started cutting out when slowing down  :sad:

Anyways looked at quite alot of threads relating to both the issues and the common thing seemed fuel pump relay, so replaced it but didn't help with cuttin out... not sure if it helped with misfire because it hasn't for a while... went to get an ecu download at (Autotechnik, Southampton) and this told me that there were no major faults... the guys down there suggested to do the obvious and replace the rotor arm (even though it was new) So went to GSF and got BERU rotor arm and dizzy cap and so far so good  :laugh:.... not cut-out or misfire since.... so looks like get yourselves some quality parts.... actually also after replaced parts the first time I hooked  up the leads in the wrong order and tried to start the car... read somewhere that this may screw up the ECU so I also reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 15mins...but be careful if u got alarm cos mine doesn't work anymore think just needs resetting....

Hope this helps...

Offline s3akr

• Not said much yet
  • Looking for my 2nd MK2 - 16 valves? Suits you sir!
« Reply #28 on: 21 April 2006, 22:28 »

I do 130miles a day commuting into London in my faithfully unreliable 1991 MK2 GTi 8 valve and I have had many of the symptoms listed and I've replaced the leads, dizzy cap, rota arm but my car has behaved since replacing the fuel pump which died, then later the fuel filter after another bout of juddering about 3 weeks ago.

I'm having the MAF apart tomorrow for a spot of cleaning for the hell of it.

Current Cars : Leon FR TDi 150 (Revo'd), Pug 406 Hdi 90 (I'm not proud of it)!     Past Cars :- Mini 1000 (x3), Metro (GTi 16v, MG Turbo),  AX GT (x2), Cavalier (1.3, Sri, GSi2000), XR2 (Mk II), R5 GT Turbo (Phase 1, 2xPhase 2),XR3i Cab (x2), Pug 206, Golf (1.8 GLi Cab, V5,1991 MK2 GTi 8 Valve), Accord Type R, MX-5 (phase 2), BMW 3 Series (E30 320i Cab, E36 318iS Coupe, E36 M3 Coupe), Clio (16v, Williams 2), Audi S3(Revo'd)

Offline WhiteMk2Gti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 07 June 2006, 08:55 »
My Mk2 8 Valve has just started doing this, between 3000-4000, will give the MAF cleaning a go first, then since i have done a oil, filter, plugs and leads less than 3k miles, if that dont cure it will replace all them!

Should i bother with fuel filter too?

What about the coil and rotor arm?
You know you want to, you dont realise it yet!