Author Topic: Dom's MK5 Gti - New Wheels  (Read 43471 times)

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
Re: Dom's new car - Mk5 content
« Reply #30 on: 16 August 2014, 10:42 »
If I wanted to get rid of the rust on my mk4 I'd have to replace every single panel  :grin:

Offline Tommy90tucker

• Just got here
« Reply #31 on: 16 August 2014, 19:33 »
When fitting the cruise control do you only have to the the stalk and isit a single wire that's a straight plug in and then reprogrammed with vag com thank you

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #32 on: 16 August 2014, 22:10 »
You might also need a new steering wheel control module.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #33 on: 27 June 2015, 21:24 »
Wow - not been on here in a while :embarrassed:

This is mainly due to not doing anything to the Mk5 at all, here's a summary of what's happened over the last 12 months(ish).

Fitted cherry hazard switch and Gti seat handle inserts:

30mm H&R springs:

Which came off my brothers ED30:

Fitted some wind deflectors which you can almost see here:

Gloss black rear badge:

I spent ages test fitting wings to replace the rusty ones with, in the end I got them both done by VW under warranty.

While it was there I got a few other bits done including an R32 bumper:

Which means it currently sits like this:

I've got a wiper blank on its way from Dan (xtetx), Matt at Only Charged Dubs has got hold of a set of BC Racing coilovers for me which he's using to fabricate some brackets to convert them to air ride at a later date. When he's done with them I'll get them fitted - for those who haven't heard of BC, they're quality coilovers, fully adjustable and come with camber top mounts etc.

I'll sort some wheels as well, probably some more BBS CHs, or possibly BBS VZs.

Offline xtetx

• I live here
  • started as a 1.6 now we here
« Reply #34 on: 16 July 2015, 17:18 »
looks so good now!

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #35 on: 19 July 2015, 16:56 »
Gotta admit I do like the R32 rear on the Mk5, not so keen on the front though

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #36 on: 27 July 2015, 19:58 »
looks so good now!

Cheers bud. You've already seen it so will know what this next update will be :grin:

Gotta admit I do like the R32 rear on the Mk5, not so keen on the front though

I really don't like the R32 front end, mine has changed a little as you'll see now.

Update time!

I gave the engine bay a quick once over:

My brother was having some issues with his Ed30 last week so I popped over to take a look:

It ended up being a faulty PCV valve so temporarily I gave him mine and refitted by BSH revamp kit:

I had some tint film lying around so decided to do the fogs:

I've been having issues with my tail light bulbs, they appear to be way too bright and look like this:

oes anyone have an recommendations for replacement bulbs?

I deleted the rear wiper the other day thanks to a quality kit from Dan aka Kill All Wipers:

I popped into Only Charged Dubs for a service on Tuesday afternoon:

While I was there I decided that a set of coilovers was needed. Matt happened to have a set of BC Racing coilovers on the shelf, they were specced as 'extra low' when ordered so have the potential for a massive drop should I want it.

I arranged to go back on Friday to get them fitted. When I arrived Joe was finishing building them up:

We decided to set a small amount of negative camber (as yet unknown exactly how much - I'll go for alignment this week).

With the wheels off I gave the rear arches a check over and found two small areas of rust bubbling on the seam. I sanded it back to clean metal and treated it with a 'rust converter' to try and stop the spread. I'm going to tiger seal over the top to try and seal it all in.

Joe got cracking at removed the old suspension:

The car gave up a bit of a fight, one of the ball joint bolts snapped and then the driveshaft popped out inside the outer CV boot. They were all sorted pretty easily though.

We wound the coilovers all the way down to see what it would look like:

It was sat on the tyres and wouldn't get off the ramp :laugh:

I set a provisional ride height and headed home happy!

Sat morning I popped round to a mate's garage to get the brakes skimmed:

Like new:

I got the car home and cleaned it up ready for FittedUK on Sunday:

The eagled eyed amongst you will have also spotted a smooth grill and I ditched the yellow tint on the fogs.

This week I need 2 new tyres and full alignment, then I'll be skint for a while  :grin:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Dom's MK5 Gti - Big Update
« Reply #37 on: 27 July 2015, 20:45 »
Looks  :cool:

Not enough doors but never mind  :grin:

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 29 July 2015, 15:21 »
Looks Good mate :afro: although I still don't know what your obsession with red cars is  :tongue:

Offline scottv6

• Here all the time
« Reply #39 on: 19 August 2015, 16:34 »
If u noticed a blue transit following you for awhile this afternoon on m1 it was me trying to get a pic :-) i thought it was you but wasnt sure