Author Topic: GTD acceleration responsiveness  (Read 21403 times)

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: GTD acceleration responsiveness
« Reply #20 on: 06 May 2014, 20:06 »
A weird thing also happened later today, the fans came on when I parked up, they were blaring (as usual when the DPF is trying to cool) until I turned the engine off, then they settled down to a fan speed about 1/3 blaring speed. Never had variable non-ignition fan speeds before, the car has either been blaring or they've not been on at all. I'll mention the modes thing when I take my car for it's first service. I'm at about 7300 miles now, so it'll be due end July/start Aug.

I reckon this fan run on is because the aircon has been working harder, and the fans run on to dissipate heat from the aircon matrix. Remember this from my Mkiv days, as the fans used to blow their fuses in this mode.

Not tried the main thread adjustments, so I can't comment first hand, but sounds like a software error to me. I will try mine when I get the chance.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 06 May 2014, 21:10 »
Talk-torque: I didn't have my aircon on, so I'm still none the wiser.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 07 May 2014, 09:25 »
My DPF comes on quite frequently but maybe that's down to my journeys usually being fairly short distances, don't know how it works in all honesty.

I had my fans blaring out once louder than normal but settled down shortly after the engine was switched off (5 - 10 seconds or so) not immediate but as its quite frequent I tend to be oblivious to it now.
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2014, 13:35 »
Having had a play this week, my belief so far is that if set to Sport the throttle defaults to Normal on starting (sound actuator still working), then flipping out of Sport and back again after the engine's warmed up sharpens up the throttle to Sport setting. 

I also reckon that stopping the car (warm engine) and restarting manually reverts the throttle back into Normal.

Sounds much the same as you guys I think - very puzzling. :huh:
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2014, 21:41 »
Left mine in sport last night and it was still in sport this morning.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 11 May 2014, 12:20 »
Left mine in sport last night and it was still in sport this morning.

Thanks for rubbing it in.  :grin:

Having tried multiple times now, my engine is definitely defaulting to normal engine response than sport (whilst retaining the sport soundaktor response expected in sport) until I change modes mid-journey. I will mention it during my service, when the DTUK box is off, because the difference is more pronounced and because I don't want them to see the box on.

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 11 May 2014, 17:51 »
Monkeyhanger, when are you planning to book your car in as if its soon I will hold off booking mine in specifically for this problem?

I am tempted to call VW anyway as my DPF regen kicks in at least a couple of times a week which doesn't seem normal, and when it does my wife always says she can smell burning when exiting the car.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 11 May 2014, 20:28 »
Adekil: it'll be late July/early August in all likelihood. What's the daily commute like? You ideally need a good 6 miles a day beyond the time/distance it takes for the oil temp to get to at least 90C. Right now, 15 miles is ideal, although I get by on 12 miles each way because the car runs a little hotter with the DTUK box on (95C oil temp, like recent TDIs rather than 90C that the GTD seems to prefer*). 12 miles wasn't enough before the box. Failing that, 2 x 40 mile trips a week should keep the DPF nice and clean.

* due to minimising NOx for the Euro 6 emissions limits I suspect.

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 12 May 2014, 07:51 »
My daily commute is short, probably around 5 miles each way and recently not been doing many long journeys at the weekend.

I will bare those distances in mind and take some longer routes to see if this improves.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 12 May 2014, 08:20 »
Left my car in "normal" mode, which is acting like "sport" is expected to, but without the soundaktor. Don't have to keep flitting modes to get the sporty response, unless i'm missing the soundaktor noise.

The biggest difference is the turbo assisted pick-up in power. In the normal (sport indicated on mine) mode the car seems to pick up strongly from 2100 revs, in sport (indicated normal on mine or after leaving sport and coming back to it), it picks up strongly from 1750 revs. The initial difference is noticeable, but above 2100 revs there is no difference between the 2 that I can discern. Me leaving it in "normal" (sport response for me) results in around a 5%/2mpg fuel penalty for me, but i'm enjoying the car so much with the DTUK box, I really don't care.

Adekil: When you leave yours in "normal" is it acting as you'd expect "normal" to, or does it seem a little livelier than "sport" without having to come out of sport and then back into it?

50mpg (indicated, likely 45/46 actual) on the way to work today with a heavy right foot.