Author Topic: How are you finding your GTD performance?  (Read 29116 times)

Offline noobmonkey

• Here all the time
Re: How are you finding your GTD performance?
« Reply #70 on: 05 December 2013, 21:42 »
Excessive smoke that would obscure other road users vision is considered a fail.

And a right royal pain in the Bee-hind!!!
VW Golf MK7 GTD Manual 5DR Pure White

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #71 on: 05 December 2013, 22:42 »
Excessive smoke that would obscure other road users vision is considered a fail.

And a right royal pain in the Bee-hind!!!

Thing is the test currently done places nearly zero load on the engine therefore you dont see that much smoke. Which is fortunate for most Fords and Vauxhalls be cause they would fail  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline dippy_x

• I live here
« Reply #72 on: 08 December 2013, 07:53 »
Just read the following:

http://www.trl.co.uk/trl-news-hub/transport-news/latest-transport-news/diesel-vehicle-mots-to-be-tightened_801669206.htm

Sounds like there will be a check for DPF from next year.
On Order: 02/05/13
GTD: Carbon Grey, Winter Pack, Keyless, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera, Furry Dice
Collected: 06/11/13

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #73 on: 08 December 2013, 08:38 »
Just read the following:

http://www.trl.co.uk/trl-news-hub/transport-news/latest-transport-news/diesel-vehicle-mots-to-be-tightened_801669206.htm

Sounds like there will be a check for DPF from next year.

Some daft logic in there talk of undoing the work of the manufacturers to reduce CO2 emissions. DPFs clear soot by combusting it into CO2 - they create more CO2, not less, although there are no arguments that the soot is more harmful than a little more CO2 liberated in its combustion. They do need to get their facts straight before making scientifically incorrect statements to justify the use of the DPF.

For me, the use of a DPF should be subjective - if they can make a diesel clean enough not to need one (by a defined output limit) then it's use should not be mandatory. Getting a cold diesel to not produce soot and work to the best of it's efficiency is probably the biggest challenge, but it may be possible in the not too distant future.

Right now we're in a position where 30% of the cars on the road are producing most of the undesirable emissions, those without catalytic converters and old/thirsty tech.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #74 on: 12 December 2013, 11:29 »
Changing the subject somewhat.

My GTD arrived today and on the first initial 20 mile spin it to holds up well to my g/fs 120d M-Sport (subjectively) in terms of performance and is much more refined than I expected.

The power delivery so far has surprised me as it doesn't suffer with that horrible soft off boost delay, sudden delivery and narrow powerband that previous diesels I've driven had and that the 1er still has to an extent, the power curve is much smoother and more progressive...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #75 on: 12 December 2013, 12:30 »
Changing the subject somewhat.

My GTD arrived today and on the first initial 20 mile spin it to holds up well to my g/fs 120d M-Sport (subjectively) in terms of performance and is much more refined than I expected.

The power delivery so far has surprised me as it doesn't suffer with that horrible soft off boost delay, sudden delivery and narrow powerband that previous diesels I've driven had and that the 1er still has to an extent, the power curve is much smoother and more progressive...

It has quite a wide power band compared to previous TDIs. The older ones really tailed off past 3300rpm, this one is strong with its torque delivery all the way to 4000, so you might find yourself pushing it a bit harder before change-up than you might otherwise be used to with a VAG TDI. I was a little disappointed with mine until I held onto the gears a little longer and stopped driving it like my Scirocco 170TDI when I put my foot down. Avoid Shell V-power like the plague when you fill up.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.