Author Topic: GTD review after 550 miles  (Read 8720 times)

Offline Valenni

• Here all the time
Re: GTD review after 550 miles
« Reply #10 on: 03 October 2013, 22:22 »
 andyk11 your car looks stunning mate. Great work.
Proud owner of a Pure white Golf GTD  - Adaptive Chassis Control - Panoramic sunroof - Dynaudio sound pack.

Offline andyk11

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 04 October 2013, 09:03 »
Great looking car and nice review! I was so tempted to change my order from white to red after seeing one in the flesh.

Just one question, how's the mpg looking at this early stage?

Cheers.  Economy wise I averaged an indicated 51-52mpg on my recent 230 mile motorway trip up the M1.  Where conditions permitted I was sitting at 75-80mph.  I reckon that if driven religiously at 70mph then mid to high 50's should be possible.

A couple of nights ago I went out for a spin on some local B-roads.  Even though I was having fun in sport mode it still averaged 45mpg over a 10 mile stretch.

On the way back down the M1 last night in heavy traffic and poor visibility I averaged 49mpg.

Interestingly the indicated mpg appears to be very accurate.  I've just filled up brim-to-brim and got 48mpg... exactly the same as the computer!  That includes this week's commuting through Leeds in 40min of stop/start traffic each way.  So, I'm pretty pleased with that.

It'll be interesting to see how much the engine loosening up will improve economy.  But so far 50+ is easily achievable  :smiley:
Tornado Red GTD ordered 25th April, confirmed BW34. Built sometime in BW36, now in the UK and delivered 27/09 :-)

Offline andyk11

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 04 October 2013, 09:11 »
Red is definitely a colour to put that extra effort into as looks awful when flat as some seen in flesh were, but when shining bright it is a complete transformation and it does look stunning.

Going to give mine the GTechniq induction was just going to G wash, P1 and C2v3 though is the P1 necessary? was just thinking it would remove any sediments prior to the C2v3 seal? I am not into detailing it will be a working car but do want to give it best chance between washes.

I was expecting to have to do a light machine polish but in the end a light decontamination with Tardis and Iron-X was fine. TBH the decon was mostly needed to get rid of whatever the dealer had put on. I'd imagine the P1 would be similarly effective in removing any existing waxes.

I know what you mean about it looking flat. TR does seem to look its best in sunlight when with the C2v3 it looks superb with a really glossy look. 

After having used other sealants I'm a real convert to C2v3. If used sparingly it's really easy to apply and the way water just flys off when underway is really impressive.
Tornado Red GTD ordered 25th April, confirmed BW34. Built sometime in BW36, now in the UK and delivered 27/09 :-)

mjh_056

« Reply #13 on: 04 October 2013, 09:44 »
Red is definitely a colour to put that extra effort into as looks awful when flat as some seen in flesh were, but when shining bright it is a complete transformation and it does look stunning.

Going to give mine the GTechniq induction was just going to G wash, P1 and C2v3 though is the P1 necessary? was just thinking it would remove any sediments prior to the C2v3 seal? I am not into detailing it will be a working car but do want to give it best chance between washes.

I was expecting to have to do a light machine polish but in the end a light decontamination with Tardis and Iron-X was fine. TBH the decon was mostly needed to get rid of whatever the dealer had put on. I'd imagine the P1 would be similarly effective in removing any existing waxes.

I know what you mean about it looking flat. TR does seem to look its best in sunlight when with the C2v3 it looks superb with a really glossy look. 

After having used other sealants I'm a real convert to C2v3. If used sparingly it's really easy to apply and the way water just flys off when underway is really impressive.

Thanks for this.

That is what the thinking was for the P1 to remove any sediments/waxes and then seal it with the C2v3 which I am completely sold on from all who have used here and using sparingly of course! and ensuring cloth had a some saturation the night before so not required much C2v3 when actually applying.

TR is a great colour when shining and think the treatment you gave does it full justice and hope to have mine gleaming similarly though think my main aim is to give it a really good winter protection for the irregular washes it will get though hope the C2v3 will just allow me a quick lance from time to time and dirt will for most part just fall off.

Good to read on experiences so far too, so thanks for updates, still valuable to keep us still waiting going!!

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #14 on: 07 December 2013, 15:18 »
How are you finding it now with a few miles on the clock? You seem to be getting better mpg figures than most are suggesting they can achieve. I am early awaiting delivery of my chosen steed.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline andyk11

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 07 December 2013, 18:01 »
How are you finding it now with a few miles on the clock? You seem to be getting better mpg figures than most are suggesting they can achieve. I am early awaiting delivery of my chosen steed.

Still loving the car :smiley:  I've covered about 5,500 miles now so plenty of mileage over the last couple of months.  Over that time I've filled up 12 times and averaged 47.5mpg brim-to-brim (48.5 indicated long term avg).  I tend to do the same journeys each week and the economy's remained fairly consistent perhaps even dropping slightly in the recent colder weather.

I mentioned on another thread that the engine loosened up noticeably at 3,000 miles.  In sport mode the throttle response is brilliant for a diesel and the handling continues to be really engaging.

The only issue I have is the horrendous squeaky noise from the front end!  I suspect it's the common suspension fault but it's booked in next week for the dealer to take a look at.