Author Topic: Lazy starting  (Read 11206 times)

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
Lazy starting
« on: 05 September 2016, 17:40 »
Occasionally,  my Gtd decides that it can't be bothered to start instantly,  and decides to crank for circa 6 to 8 seconds before catching.  I've since had one or two occurrences since where it coughs before cranking a bit more and starting.

Does anyone else have this lazy starting? I can't pin it down to a pattern, the only saving grace is it did it in front of the dealer when I picked it up the other day. They're happy to look but last thing I want is a wasted trip if it behaves so just looking for feedback.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Lazy starting
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2016, 18:51 »
Lazy starting or lazy glow plugs?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2016, 07:33 »
When its hot weather, mine always refuses to start first pull the starter motor cranks over but it doesn't fire. Usually its not first thing in the morning, but in the evening coming home from work after its sat in the sun.

Switch it off, turn the key again and off she goes instantly.

Been like that since day 1.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2016, 11:39 »
From previous experience, glow plugs do little to nothing on common rails except in extreme conditions (i.e. sub 4 and/or sub zero) owing to the huge injection pressures. Normally a delay in start is attributable to rail pressure (either through regulator or sensor) meaning that the injectors are waiting to operate. In other words, fuel system gremlins!

Like I said, dealer is happy to look, but it's an inconvenience of about an hour to get there and back with a courtesy car, not something I want to repeat too often, would like to give the guy some sort of clues lol. I might hook it up to live data myself.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline zoom_cool

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2016, 11:57 »
This is all over different forums as well mine does the same seems to be a common fault and I dont think there is a fix if you find one let us know I will like wise.

I have had mine at dealer and they thought it was injectors so they replaced two injectors but it didnt resolve the issue.

I noticed it happens when the car is idle for more than 8-10 hours (after driving it) however if you leave it over 24 hours it will start first time I think it is a air lock that is causing it

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/395080-vrs-tdi-occasionaly-slow-to-fire-up/page-2
Golf GTD Carbon Grey, with Leather,Discover Sat NAV,Winter Pack,DSG 5 Door

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2016, 15:20 »
Not sure that's the same fault as I am describing.

Mine is definitely a "when sat in the sun for hours" problem.

Turn the key, starter motor cranks it, no fire. Switch ignition off and try again and it fires first time. If you then switch it off it will fire first time and be happy as normal until the next time its spent 6 hours in the baking sun in work's car park.

As I said, its done it since day 1 pretty much. I've never reported it to the dealer as anything which I can't demonstrate to them in the shop is nothing they will try to fix!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline zoom_cool

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2016, 18:25 »
Not trying to be smart but it sounds very similar I bet if you leave it over 6 hours say till the next day it will start first time does it only happen on a warm day? Mine will do the exact same if you turn it off after over cranking it will start first time all the time but leave it idle for a few hours and it will over crank.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2016, 08:00 »
Have you tried flicking the ignition on then off then on again

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2016, 10:43 »
Its not even predictable really, I could tell you when its *likely* to happen, but even then its not 100% gonna happen.

Offline zoom_cool

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2016, 13:02 »
Our Skoda VRS 184 friends seem to have a Software update available for Over Cranking

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/395080-vrs-tdi-occasionaly-slow-to-fire-up/page-3#entry4711746