Author Topic: sub in spare wheel well  (Read 4002 times)

Offline richy_b

• Not said much yet
sub in spare wheel well
« on: 09 July 2005, 20:49 »
hi all, im looking at putting a sub in the wheel well of a mk1 , has anybody done this befor? am i limited to a certain size sub? also is it possible to use a rear facing one, you no the ones which show the magnet instead of face??

cheers all.

Offline vdubit

• Not said much yet
  • ICE obsessor and Golf Collector...
Re: sub in spare wheel well
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2005, 15:51 »
the sub needs to be sealed to the box, and the box needs to be sealed too. Unless you lay fiberglass in the well i cant see you being able to seal it, thus meaning it'll sound pants. The wheel well prob isnt very big either (you'll be lucky to get 1cuft), meaning your restricted to small subs (a week 10" would prob be ok)

If you must do it, the only possible way is to make a false floor from 12mm mdf, and cut out the hole for the sub above the well. you'd then have to make a liner for the well from fibreglass, and bond it to the underside of the false floor. You'd have to soundproof between the fibreglass and the well to stop vibrations.

I really cant see the point in doing this. You could face it upside down, but again i cant see the point. Just build a regular box!

Offline richy_b

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2005, 22:54 »
oh ok i just wantd somthing different as the car is going to be stripped  and thought a bo would look out of place.

Offline dubvrs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2005, 23:34 »
Should have no problems just need to find out the volume of the spare wheel well.

I made these which are 2 options.

Same idea but in a clio cup.

11" sub in a mk4 golf spare wheel.

Judderi

« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2005, 13:57 »
Dubvrs i like your work!  :smiley:

Your maybe not gonna get the best sound but if your looking to save space then have a bash at it. Got nothing to loose really.