Author Topic: INFO Side Trim/ Side Skirts. Gone Rusty? Check here  (Read 53013 times)

Offline Foreveryoungaus16v

• I live here
Re: INFO Side Trim/ Side Skirts. Gone Rusty? Check here
« Reply #30 on: 03 August 2014, 14:58 »
Best thing I did was take all the sh!tty side trim and wheel arches off. Now my sills are done car looks brand new. Would never dream of putting all that water trapping plastic back on

KW V2, TEAM DYNAMICS PRO RACE 1.2, EIBACH ARBS, DS 2500 PADS, BLACK DIAMOND DISCS, LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL, CHIPPED ECU, VIBRA TECHNIC MOUNTS, JETEX DECAT,  FULLY POLYBUSHED
163 BHP (TSR POWER RUN)

Offline xAntiVenxm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #31 on: 07 August 2014, 13:44 »
Best thing I did was take all the sh!tty side trim and wheel arches off. Now my sills are done car looks brand new. Would never dream of putting all that water trapping plastic back on

got such a dilemna in my head about this...

I'm having my rust sorted over the next month or so (either before or after the BH weekend & TRAX) but in serious debate with myself about the arches..

Somehow I think removing the arch covers and sideskirts will make it lose the GTi look.. that it wouldn't feel original anymore..

but then I think about the water and dirt trapped against it and how i'd probably end up having to have the arches done a second time years down the line..

I suppose I'll see what they're like when I drill the rivets out and pull them off (nervous..  :lipsrsealed:) and then know if i want to keep em on. I know the bottom of the arches where it meets the side skirts needs some attention, as its very crunchy, so will have em done with the sills..

I just don't know  :undecided:

Offline Foreveryoungaus16v

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 07 August 2014, 16:34 »
I paid nearly £500 to get my sills done. Stuff putting that trim back on. Infact I have sold it all. Looks far better all smooth in my opinion.  Thats what I like about the VR6 Highline, no trim.

Paying out to get rust done you would be insane to put the trim back on. However am sure some would disagree.  Can't understand why VW decided to put it on in the first place. Hated it when it was on.

Reason why most keep the trim on is they are nervous to take it all off and see what is lurking.  If they did and then paid a small fortune sorting the rust out doubt very much they would put it back on. My car now looks 100% better even more so with the new Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 coming :cool:
« Last Edit: 07 August 2014, 16:39 by Foreveryoungaus16v »

KW V2, TEAM DYNAMICS PRO RACE 1.2, EIBACH ARBS, DS 2500 PADS, BLACK DIAMOND DISCS, LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL, CHIPPED ECU, VIBRA TECHNIC MOUNTS, JETEX DECAT,  FULLY POLYBUSHED
163 BHP (TSR POWER RUN)

Offline Diluxe

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 15 July 2015, 16:56 »
I've just obtained the drivers side for my car , should I have bought the metal strip aswell?
1997 16V