Author Topic: Help can't open car  (Read 8484 times)

Offline bogwoppit

• GTI forum regular
Re: Help can't open car
« Reply #50 on: 03 January 2021, 17:13 »
I've figured out another solution to this flat key fob battery.

If you have a Keyless entry & start Golf and it has the SOS button by the interior lights, then install the VW 'We connect go' app onto your mobile phone and set it up for your car.
Then if your keyfob goes flat, you can still open the car using the app, no need to flick off the lock barrel cover on the door handle.

One of our keyfobs went flat earlier today, and this method worked.
BMW 128ti - current

Mk 7.5 GTI PP, indium grey, manual - gone

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #51 on: 03 January 2021, 17:25 »
I've figured out another solution to this flat key fob battery.

If you have a Keyless entry & start Golf and it has the SOS button by the interior lights, then install the VW 'We connect go' app onto your mobile phone and set it up for your car.
Then if your keyfob goes flat, you can still open the car using the app, no need to flick off the lock barrel cover on the door handle.

One of our keyfobs went flat earlier today, and this method worked.

Great idea! Will it work with my mobile? :whistle:

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline bogwoppit

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #52 on: 03 January 2021, 17:28 »
 :grin:
BMW 128ti - current

Mk 7.5 GTI PP, indium grey, manual - gone

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #53 on: 03 January 2021, 18:00 »
Good find, unfortunately whilst I have keyless, no SoS button :huh:
Just have to rely on spares in wallet and car :wink:
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #54 on: 04 January 2021, 17:17 »
Had the very same thing happen to my two month old car last Sunday!

Locked the car on the drive then went to open later in the afternoon and nothing!

Found out how to change battery and replaced with a new one but still nothing, no red light nothing..

Checked both batteries with my multimeter and both were reading over three volts so they were ok.

The spare key opened the car no problems...

I've had to book the car in at my dealers but because I need a car they can't see it until January 2021, if it wasn't for cv-19 they said I could have gone in at the weekend, unfortunately they want it in for two days to run diagnostics!

As the spare worked ok I'm hoping it just needs a new key fob.

Did you try taking the battery out of the spare and putting it in your main key if it definitely works? or too worried to risk the spare not working too?

I had the battery go on my key fob several months back and I haven't bought a spare yet. Tired a different battery.... nothing, not even a red light on the fob. The battery had been kept in the cupboard for a couple of years in the packet and never been used. Had to rush over to Halfords and grabbed whatever battery they had (Energizer) and it worked right away. Looked it up online and there's quite a few comments saying some brands work on theirs and some don't. I used to have an old TV remote that didn't work with most batteries but always worked with Panasonic ones.

When it wasn't working I managed to get into the car with the key but the alarm was going off, plus somehow it actually still started. Not sure if thats normal?. I now keep a spare battery in my car as I know I can still get in with the key and at home.

Offline Phil245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #55 on: 22 January 2021, 16:18 »
Ahhh................May 2019 GTi 7.5 PP.   Keyless.    Just gone to the missus's car on the drive and can't get in !   No red light on the fob.....

Managed to get in and start it with the spare key.

Found this thread and having read 6 pages I'm guessing I need a new fob battery (!)  but was hoping someone would have mentioned what the battery type is ?  Can I get them off Amazon/Ebay or are they a VW dealer special ( well, "special" price).....

Edit - just managed to get the key apart, it's a Panasonic CR2025 @3V    if that helps anyone reading this thread in future....
« Last Edit: 22 January 2021, 16:22 by Phil245 »
2019 Golf GTI 245 Performance, 2020 Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0 TDI
Sadly sold, Octavia VRS245 Estate, Audi A3 1.5TFSI S Line Black Edition, Polo GTi 1.8, Audi TT Roadster, Golf Mk7 GTD etc.
Daughter has 2019 Polo 2.0GTi DSG. We love VAG !

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #56 on: 22 January 2021, 17:03 »
Yeah real common battery - probably your local petrol station has them.

Buy two, keep one (inside of its packaging) in your wallet or handbag (hey, its 2021, who am I to judge)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Phil245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #57 on: 22 January 2021, 17:32 »
LOL...... I don't carry either, just my phone in it's case with a debit card....!

Just reading a more or less identical thread over on the Karoq forum.    Seems that a few members have had problems with anything other than a like for like Panasonic battery being needed. Something about mA/h and pulses.....

Have a read if interested.

I've cancelled my Amazon order for generic 2025's and ordered genuine Panasonic's just in case....
2019 Golf GTI 245 Performance, 2020 Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0 TDI
Sadly sold, Octavia VRS245 Estate, Audi A3 1.5TFSI S Line Black Edition, Polo GTi 1.8, Audi TT Roadster, Golf Mk7 GTD etc.
Daughter has 2019 Polo 2.0GTi DSG. We love VAG !

Offline Zan

• Not said much yet
  • MK 7.5 GTi PP>Now MK 8 R-Line 150
« Reply #58 on: 22 January 2021, 18:51 »
Got in my car yesterday after work and it popped up with the replace key battery warning so nipped into screwfix on the way home and picked up some Varta brand batteries.
Replaced in my daily fob and also my spare and no issues so far, curiously a year ago they replaced the battery on the service and the car has had another service just a few weeks ago and they didn't replace it this time around.

Online Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #59 on: 22 January 2021, 21:34 »
I recently had my key-fob die on my 'new' car only two moths after buying it, no warning just stopped, I tried two new batteries (good make) but nothing.

Booked into the dealers and had to wait until the beginning of January, lo and behold (as I expected) they put two new batteries in (they changed spare as well) and it started working again, they reckon that it's not the voltage of the battery but the mAh that makes the difference.

Charged me £10 for the privilege!  I got a bit angry (not usual for me) saying that changing the batteries should be part of the handover when buying an 'Approved VW' and it was a bit of a cheek on a two month old car, costs them very little but should be part of the customer service.

More importantly when I mentioned that I didn't get a low battery warning on the dash they didn't say a thing, to me that was the bigger issue as it's likely to happen again (they said I should have seen one).

I've bought a few Varta cells which seem to have a high mAh ready just in case.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.