Author Topic: vdo gauges wiring problems  (Read 48319 times)

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
vdo gauges wiring problems
« on: 09 October 2004, 14:58 »
hi
just got hold of a set of vdo gauges out of an audi (you know the ones) to put in my 8 valve gti.
they came with most of the wiring loom, i'm assuming the voltage should be easy to wire up and i also assume the oil temp can be wired to the original sensor, but i'm not sure how to wire up the pressure gauge as i didn't get the sender with them. i know i have to get one for the correct pressure but where do i put it, on the engine, when i get one and where is a good place to buy one from?
if any one can tell me how to wire these up correctly i would be very grateful
thanks in advance for your help
team grumpy....... its a way of life, not a forum post

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Trimdeluxe

Veedubgt18v

Re: vdo gauges wiring problems
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2004, 14:59 »
check out this link, this is how i did mine and i put it on the net for others hope it helps!  :)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.combes2/Vdo.htm

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2004, 18:05 »
thats wicked, thanks alot. next job on the list then!!!

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk

Offline E1v15

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2004, 20:14 »
hey ,

what a great helpful link !!

on the back of the original question does anybody know where to get the bulb holders from ?

Stuart

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2004, 10:22 »
yeah they are used all over vw's and audis they are the little square twist out buld holders, they light up things like the ashtray and stuff. i have a set of gauges for sale if anyone wants to make me an offer.................

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #5 on: 12 October 2004, 10:24 »
oh yeah the pressure sender is on the right hand side of the block on audi coupes from the early nineties. its about the size of a camera film case

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2004, 11:43 »
another helpfull bit of advice! cheers mate, i'm about to tackle them now. one more thing :P i'm after some of those lovely premier dials, or something similar, does anyone know if i can get some new faces made up for the gauges as well? and how would i go about getting them apart to fit them? thanks guys

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2004, 11:53 »
the only way to take them apart is to prise of the metal ring round the front of the glass, it isnt glued (mine werent anyway) then remove the needle then put the new face etc on. oh yeah they light up red if you want green you gotta open them up and remove the red filter then put green bilbs in the back. any questions pm me i will try to help

Offline Daz...

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 14 October 2004, 11:58 »
I was about to ask how to get the gauges working properly and then I found this, good man!!! ;)
08.03.10 - 3, maybe 4 weeks, and I want my golf back on the road!

diagnosis-dub

« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2005, 04:58 »
It all depends on what your car is.

The 16V has the 0.3 and 1.8 bar senders on the oil filter housing so you can just replace whichever one you have with the sender you got.

The 8V has the 1.8 bar sender on the oil filter housing and has the 0.3 bar pressure sender on the cylinder head.

You have to make sure you replace the correct one otherwise you knacker your low pressure warning system.

You need to check the spanner flats on the sender to check what one you have.