Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2741241 times)

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #8410 on: 18 May 2018, 20:21 »
Booked my estate in for some VWR springs in July  :smiley:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8411 on: 18 May 2018, 22:01 »
With a Polo GTI+ on the way (build in 3 weeks time, ready for July but waiting until new plate) to replace the wife's 3 door A1, I decided it was time to get the front passenger side wheel that she minced refurbished in preparation for a private sale.

There's a place by the Tyne Tunnel that gets cracking reviews, I took the wheel in with the Golf, and had them look at the front passenger side Pret that she also scraped. It's a light scrape on the Pret, but there's a large paint chip on the edge (about 1/2 the diameter of a 5p piece. I was astounded by how thick the paint was on the wheel, seeing the depth of the paint chip.

The guy came out to have a look at it and decided it was easily fixed (scrape is paint deep only). He then commented on how it had been refurbed before, I said "no way, I've had this from new". He told me to have a closer look at the chip, and sure enough, it's like looking at the cross section of a tree - White primer first on wheel, then silver, then possibly clear, then white primer, then silver again and then clear on top.

He said that he gets half his work from pre-delivery refurbs of cars coming off the Tyne-bound ships, VWs, Audis, BMWs, you name it. Cheeky twits, makes me wonder how many cars have been maimed and repaired in transit.

Sootchucker, don't know how you manage it, 42mpg in not only an R, but a DSG R - although if it's a new 7 speeder, that may make all the difference to be having a 7th gear  ratio not too far off  GTD's 6th gear. Always thought that the 5th and 6th gears of an R (6 speed) were far lower than they need be - mine is happy maintaining 30mph in 5th and at motorway speeds, mpg really drops off, tending towards 30mpg. I get 32-36mpg in my R on the 20 mile mixed roads journey to work, nearer 30-32 nog on the way home when traffic is far busier.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline somersetred

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8412 on: 19 May 2018, 06:25 »
In reply to carit9 with the scratch. Is it worth getting chips away to have a look?  If it’s a long scratch you might just make it look awful.  I did something similar to one of my cars a few years back and regretted it to the day I sold it.  In my experience they have been pretty good and can make small scrapes totally disappear for about 80 quid last time I used them?
« Last Edit: 19 May 2018, 06:28 by somersetred »
GTI pp tornado red

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8413 on: 19 May 2018, 07:32 »
Sootchucker, don't know how you manage it, 42mpg in not only an R, but a DSG R - although if it's a new 7 speeder, that may make all the difference to be having a 7th gear  ratio not too far off  GTD's 6th gear. Always thought that the 5th and 6th gears of an R (6 speed) were far lower than they need be - mine is happy maintaining 30mph in 5th and at motorway speeds, mpg really drops off, tending towards 30mpg. I get 32-36mpg in my R on the 20 mile mixed roads journey to work, nearer 30-32 nog on the way home when traffic is far busier.

Ha, then you probably won’t believe that on the way home from work last night, I was deliberately trying to see what it could return driven sensibly. So only 65 mph on the motorway and Eco mode. When I got home it was showing 45.6 mpg, but when I came off the motorway it was at 47.4 mpg (lost the last few mpg in the 2 miles between motorway way and home)  ;D
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8414 on: 19 May 2018, 08:58 »

Ha, then you probably won’t believe that on the way home from work last night, I was deliberately trying to see what it could return driven sensibly. So only 65 mph on the motorway and Eco mode. When I got home it was showing 45.6 mpg, but when I came off the motorway it was at 47.4 mpg (lost the last few mpg in the 2 miles between motorway way and home)  ;D

Perhaps you have missed your calling. Driving instruction to R owners? :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8415 on: 19 May 2018, 09:49 »
Nah..boring as hell, couldn't do that all the time, was just a test !

Have to say though, that whilst you wouldn't drive that way usually, it's pretty incredible to think that a 310ps 4wd monster like the "R" can return high 40's mpg driven sensibly.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2018, 09:51 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8416 on: 19 May 2018, 10:14 »
Ordered some covers for my door latches with a GTI logo on them. Unfortunately these arrived all the way from China today:

For a Subaru perhaps? Definitely not for my GTI though. When they do eventually turn up, since you get 4 and I've a three door, there will be a pair going spare. If any other 3 door owners fancy them do let me know and I'll keep you in mind should they ever arrive :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8417 on: 19 May 2018, 12:58 »
Ordered some covers for my door latches with a GTI logo on them. Unfortunately these arrived all the way from China today:

For a Subaru perhaps? Definitely not for my GTI though. When they do eventually turn up, since you get 4 and I've a three door, there will be a pair going spare. If any other 3 door owners fancy them do let me know and I'll keep you in mind should they ever arrive :rolleyes:

Oops! 

Did you go for the ones like I have below but GTI logo’d?   Mine have been on over a year now and have never budged at all. 

Rear

Front

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8418 on: 19 May 2018, 13:20 »
^^^ That's them, bargain on ebay, except when you get the wrong ones! I'm sure it'll get sorted soon.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
« Reply #8419 on: 19 May 2018, 22:41 »
Nothing as I’ve not got one at the moment so if anyone is selling😉

Posted an ad in the wanted but not sure how busy a section it is.

Got one!

After selling my GTi last year for an R but sold it soon after after scum bags decided to attempt to kick my front door in while we slept to get it I’ve got myself back into a GTi hopefully it will be a bit less nick able.

Was looking for a car around a 65 plate but came across a pretty well specced and spotless  63 plate so a deal was done.

5dr DSG In DPB
20k with 4 main dealer services
performance pack
Winter pack
Discovery nav
Keyless
DCC
Panoramic roof

Couple of issues have arisen the headlamp washers are not working(hopefully a fuse) and the temp guage is going up to just below the red doesn’t appear to be overheating it just jump from the 90 to it and doesn’t move so thinking it may be sensor.

« Last Edit: 20 May 2018, 06:41 by dereks »