Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2741181 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #8400 on: 18 May 2018, 10:54 »
^^^ Blimey! All I've had as a loan car was a bloody up! - and it was an auto, worst gearbox I've ever experienced by far :rolleyes: They must really value your custom.

My dealer has three of the four VAG brands on one site (no Skoda), so it’s always a bit of a lottery what you’ll get as a courtesy car. On one occasion I got an Audi TT but the initial excitement soon wore off, and I was glad when I got my own car back again. The TT was plagued by numerous creaks and rattles from the interior trim (so much for Audi premium build quality) and getting in and out wasn’t good for me with my dodgy back! On another occasion, they gave me the sales manager’s fully loaded mk7 Golf GTD; they had an ulterior motive though, as they were trying to get me to buy a new one! I didn’t get hooked in though. :grin:

Nice to have something a bit different to the usual up! or Polo though.

It certainly would be. My up! felt more like a 'down!' :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline carlt69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8401 on: 18 May 2018, 12:47 »
I managed to get a nice scratch in the drivers door today!! something flew up off the road and hit it.

I've only had the car 6 days!!  :sick: :cry:

VW touch up paint is now on order!!
MK8 GTi in Moonstone Grey

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8402 on: 18 May 2018, 13:50 »
I managed to get a nice scratch in the drivers door today!! something flew up off the road and hit it.

How deep is the scratch? If it doesn’t ‘catch’ when you run a finger nail over it, a car detailer or mate with a machine polisher should be able to polish it out.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8403 on: 18 May 2018, 14:34 »
Well, popped over to my Dad's at lunchtime in the "R" (about 9 miles each way), 7 miles of motorway and 2 of 50 mph A roads.

As the motorway was really busy (Friday afternoon traffic), I could only do 55-60 mph. Again the "R" really surprised me with an overall return of 42 mpg. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure if I'd have been tanking it it would have been well below 30  :)

Not sure if this "R" isn't part diesel  :D :D 

Also, that's a good point Joe, I'll have to try it in Eco mode tonight with the free wheeling to see what's the best I can get before I destroy the dealers fuel tank over the weekend  ;)
« Last Edit: 18 May 2018, 14:37 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8404 on: 18 May 2018, 14:49 »
You are been very restrained. One of my favorite games was to plan my workload and site visits to see how many miles I could put on a courtesy car. I ones had a Bora with less than 50 miles on the clock for 3 days. That went back with over 1000 miles on it.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8405 on: 18 May 2018, 15:17 »
Just got my GTi back after having the drivers window fixed, acc tightened, rear seat now doesn't make any noise at all and a free set of new numberplates. All of this should have been done at the first visit bit must say the service manager at Durham Pulman has sorted everything out for me. Top marks to Phil Arnott.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8406 on: 18 May 2018, 15:34 »
Well, popped over to my Dad's at lunchtime in the "R" (about 9 miles each way), 7 miles of motorway and 2 of 50 mph A roads.

As the motorway was really busy (Friday afternoon traffic), I could only do 55-60 mph. Again the "R" really surprised me with an overall return of 42 mpg. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure if I'd have been tanking it it would have been well below 30  :)

Not sure if this "R" isn't part diesel  :D :D 

Also, that's a good point Joe, I'll have to try it in Eco mode tonight with the free wheeling to see what's the best I can get before I destroy the dealers fuel tank over the weekend  ;)

You clearly weren’t driving it properly!  :tongue:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8407 on: 18 May 2018, 16:43 »
You clearly weren’t driving it properly!  :P

Funny how everyone's said that  ;D

I know it was said tongue in cheek Rebecca, but the trouble is, when all 3 lanes of the motorway are travelling at around 60-65 mph, the only way to spend extra fuel is to try and intimidate the driver in front of you to pull out of the way and then onto the next car (as per BMW and Audi drivers  :-X ). Fortunately I don't drive that way, but this weekend in North Wales, well that's different  >:D
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline carlt69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8408 on: 18 May 2018, 19:17 »

How deep is the scratch? If it doesn’t ‘catch’ when you run a finger nail over it, a car detailer or mate with a machine polisher should be able to polish it out.

It’s a proper scratch, so I’ve ordered the touch up paint and fingers crossed don’t make it look worse  :laugh:

Bloody typical though!
MK8 GTi in Moonstone Grey

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8409 on: 18 May 2018, 20:20 »

It’s a proper scratch, so I’ve ordered the touch up paint and fingers crossed don’t make it look worse  :laugh:

Bloody typical though!

Yes, Sod’s law that this happens on a brand new car and wouldn’t have happened if it was a much older car.

I personally prefer the Chipex paint kits to VW touch up paint. With the Chipex kit, if you’re not happy with the results, you can easily remove the paint you’ve applied by using the blending solution that’s supplied as part of the kit and then start again. 

If I were you, I wouldn’t use the brush inside the cap of the VW touch up paint as in my opinion, it’s much too big for fine work like touching in scratches, and it may end up looking worse than the scratch does. Better to use a very fine artists type brush or even the end of a cocktail stick. I’d also practice on another surface first, so you can perfect your technique before applying paint to your car.

Good luck :smiley:

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl