Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2738856 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #8380 on: 15 May 2018, 19:09 »
Cheers fellas. I’ll keep you posted.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #8381 on: 15 May 2018, 19:25 »
Well, after the GTI had a 4 month sabbatical, I reconnected the battery and brought it out of the garage. Tyres still had the same amount of pressure in them as when I left and (as expected) there were a multitude of faults present when I started it up. However a couple of cycles of the ignition, a small drive and a quick reset of the fault codes with my obdeleven and all primed ready for an MOT. Passed with flying colours, just needs a wash and brush up (small layer of dust) to be all back to normal again. Even though stored inside, there was still a small bit of rust on the rotors, but nothing that the first application of the brakes didn't cure.

It does feel weird driving it after 4 months of only being able to drive (mostly knackered) land rovers - that change from them to a lowered Golf is a bit drastic lol, but glad to be "back in the saddle".
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #8382 on: 15 May 2018, 19:51 »
Welcome back Gnasher, I hope it wasn’t too cold down there for you. I have a 6 month sunny holiday coming up in the next few weeks myself but I was thinking about a trickle charger rather than disconnect the battery since I have no way of clearing any faults.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #8383 on: 16 May 2018, 10:24 »
So the fuel tank is 50 litres on the Golf....  :grin:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #8384 on: 16 May 2018, 10:39 »
So the fuel tank is 50 litres on the Golf....  :grin:

so not empty then? I’ve had 55 litres in mine once or twice

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #8385 on: 16 May 2018, 10:56 »
Says it should be 50 litres. It was showing 0 range but normally got a bit left in at that stage!  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #8386 on: 16 May 2018, 22:11 »
Had new tyres put on the front today...

« Last Edit: 16 May 2018, 22:14 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8387 on: 17 May 2018, 10:51 »
I've had my 7.5 pp gti since 1st March and all this time I have been pining for a drive to enjoy its performance. Driving around the Cheltenham, Gloucester, Evesham area does not seem to cut it.

However at the weekend on my drive to a rendez-vous near Merthyr Tydfil I was confronted by the closure of the Heads of the Valley Road, the A465, just west of Abergavenny. The Road Gods had, in their omnipotence, simply closed this major arterial road. A diversion was not obvious and I kept switching between the built-in nav and Google Maps which quickly became unusable when the mobile signal was lost. And I was going to be late.

Now it is a lesson for life that you must quieten the negative emotions within in order to enjoy the here and now. I'm not sure I really managed to achieve this, and looking at the map now the obvious diversion should have been along the A40, but the route I ended up taking was a mountainous pass, probably the A4246.

At last, the pulling power from low revs, the no-understeer of the limit-slip front diff and the huge power margin of the free revving engine came to elevate me emotionally and physically. It was a brief but wonderful experience of what my Golf is really for.

I shall now put up with the somewhat harsh ride over the appalling road surfaces of Gloucestershire, the worry of leaving a trophy car in a Gloucester public car park and the jibes of friends who tell me that I am too old to have a mid-life crisis, and hope that one day soon I will find myself again on a deserted twisty mountain pass where the car will come into its own.

Do we have, on this forum, a list of nice roads well suited to this sort of thing?

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #8388 on: 17 May 2018, 12:51 »
I've had my 7.5 pp gti since 1st March and all this time I have been pining for a drive to enjoy its performance. Driving around the Cheltenham, Gloucester, Evesham area does not seem to cut it.

However at the weekend on my drive to a rendez-vous near Merthyr Tydfil I was confronted by the closure of the Heads of the Valley Road, the A465, just west of Abergavenny. The Road Gods had, in their omnipotence, simply closed this major arterial road. A diversion was not obvious and I kept switching between the built-in nav and Google Maps which quickly became unusable when the mobile signal was lost. And I was going to be late.

Now it is a lesson for life that you must quieten the negative emotions within in order to enjoy the here and now. I'm not sure I really managed to achieve this, and looking at the map now the obvious diversion should have been along the A40, but the route I ended up taking was a mountainous pass, probably the A4246.

At last, the pulling power from low revs, the no-understeer of the limit-slip front diff and the huge power margin of the free revving engine came to elevate me emotionally and physically. It was a brief but wonderful experience of what my Golf is really for.

I shall now put up with the somewhat harsh ride over the appalling road surfaces of Gloucestershire, the worry of leaving a trophy car in a Gloucester public car park and the jibes of friends who tell me that I am too old to have a mid-life crisis, and hope that one day soon I will find myself again on a deserted twisty mountain pass where the car will come into its own.

Do we have, on this forum, a list of nice roads well suited to this sort of thing?
Great post, and one that probably rings true with a lot of GTI owners.
It certainly does with me :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #8389 on: 17 May 2018, 13:31 »

Heading to Abergaveny tomorrow with some mates and then we are doing some of the Brecon roads on Saturday. Will make sure we get on that A4246  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport