Author Topic: Rear Axle beam alignment after removal  (Read 5256 times)

Offline Skink

• Not said much yet
Rear Axle beam alignment after removal
« on: 22 September 2020, 16:45 »
Afternoon all,

This problem has been making my head hurt for days now, I just can’t seem to work it out so hopefully one of you more knowledgeable people might be able to help.
I removed the rear beam of my Mk3 to give it a clean up and put in replacement poly bushes (see previous post). All was going swimmingly. Got to the old bushes out without too much aggro, wire brushed and treated the beam etc.
BUT..... on going to replace the beam, I can’t get it to line up. If I get the NS bush seated in the mounting bracket the OS is 5 or 6mm out and visa-versa. Even when I raise the beam equally, one side is out. I didn’t touch the axle mounts on the body but something must have moved. Any ideas?

https://flic.kr/ps/3Ua8mx

« Last Edit: 22 September 2020, 17:06 by Skink »

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
Re: Rear Axle beam alignment after removal
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2020, 17:16 »
On the face of it , my suggestions is that the replacement bushes are a different width. I had a similar issue in the dim and distant past when changing the leaf spring bushes on a Mk1 RS2000 I was given Mk2 bushes and foolishly though they were the same but appeared to be c. 1cm wider.... out with the hacksaw. Just a thought!
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline Skink

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2020, 20:07 »
Thanks. That did cross my mind but I measured them before putting them in and they seemed fine (actually 1mm smaller by the vernier). They are Powerflex bushes so must have been used thousands of time by others. I’ve done measurements from each mounting bracket and can’t see any sign of movement. I guess I’ll have to move them both a couple of mm each.

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2020, 12:36 »
No probs, that's a shame. The only other thing I could think of that it was twisted slightly and moved when released... Good luck on the problem solving.
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline WeekendMechanic

• Here all the time
  • Golf MK3 GTD
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2020, 16:44 »
Did you manage to figure the problem?

Offline Skink

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2020, 13:09 »
Hi,

Did you manage to figure the problem?

No, not yet. I’m really reluctant to move the axle mounting brackets until I’m sure I’ve covered all other bases. If it’s stops peeing it down I might nip out and re-measure everything to see if I’ve missed something.