Author Topic: Gti Reviews  (Read 49658 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Gti Reviews
« Reply #70 on: 24 September 2020, 17:48 »
Here is a new review of the Mk 8 GTI from Top Gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmL_QbUwvsg.

No question, the reviewer definitely smiles in that video, and declares he's enjoying it.
7.5 GTD

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #71 on: 25 September 2020, 04:11 »
Great review!  I'm so torn - expect I will love the driving characteristics but find those buttonless controls impossibly frustrating.  But will definitely test drive and make up my own mind.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #72 on: 25 September 2020, 09:04 »
I wonder though... even this guy says its not tons better than the already excellent mk7.... and i wonder how much of the improvement is the new trick DCC its definitely a lot to do with the new tech.... what would it be like without it?

My opinion of the Mk7 DCC is that it doesn't really offer much real world capability, but maybe....just maybe... it might now be actually come of age.

This would be the third iteration of it : ACC Mk6, DCC Mk7 and now DCC Mk8.

Also, in a thing that annoys Mrs Groves, I spent some time last musing about the user interface. What it needs is programmable user short cut buttons. Like the way you put app icons on the front of your phone.

If someone has a desperate need to toggle ESP off while driving every 5 minutes, make a shortcut button to the ESP config page.

VW still suck at software and have an arrogant attitude towards it. Which is bad when you pitch a new product as "digital".

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #73 on: 25 September 2020, 10:43 »
I just think even as a died in the wool VW Golf user, that the MK8 GTI is going to be a harder sell than ever. VW for many years had this area to themselves and even when never upstarts came along, they relied on the heritage and "all the car you will ever need" bias.

Trouble is today, the GTI (and the R) have serious rivals sporting not only more power, but don't have the full buttonless interface (which let's face it, nearly every reviewer has criticised heavily). At it's new launch price of nearly £35k (DSG model) that brings it mightily close to offering from BMW (even before the 128ti hit the streets), Mercedes and Hyundai. Add a few options on and you are looking at nearly £40k (or just over if you want sunroof and leather). 

That's a lot of of money for a vehicle with arguably "questionable" looks outside (compared to the classy outgoing MK7 / 7.5 models) and with a very unpopular hepatic buttonless interior. Heritage will only get you so far but in my opinion, it's not a looker (sure much better than the standard MK8 models, but not as nice as the outgoing model) and VW are really going to have to discount these down a lot in my humble opinion to prevent lost sales to other marques which have not only caught up, but perhaps overtaken the Golf in many areas).

Biggest problem, is that if you want a nice GTI with some of the newer options such as 19", DCC, Sunroof, Leather, HUD, Kings Red Metallic, Winter Pack, rear view camera etc, then the list is over £41.5k, so even with a huge discount (down to say £35k), you are still in the £40k VED tax bracket. I don't mind paying that for a 300+ HP AWD hot hatch with lots of toys, but for a FWD hatch with "only" 245ps -really ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #74 on: 25 September 2020, 11:43 »
I've said on here a few times recently Sooty that price was going to be key for VW this time around.

I'm waiting until 2nd October to see what the PCP residuals look like, maybe I will be surprised but on the face of it right now, I think this is a bust for me - and I am in the market for an immediate purchase too.

The PP/Cup/TCR will only be worse on that front too and not sure where that leaves the R but I'd say definitely priced out of the market vs the competition.

I'm sure there are plenty who will buy, for whom money is no object and they just want it, but equally this does feel like a big departure from the mid-range price tag fun that the GTI has always been.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #75 on: 25 September 2020, 12:22 »
....., I spent some time last musing about the user interface. What it needs is programmable user short cut buttons. Like the way you put app icons on the front of your phone.

That's a brilliant idea. No idea if it is possible, but it would go a long way to addressing most of my concerns
« Last Edit: 25 September 2020, 12:24 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #76 on: 25 September 2020, 13:35 »
I see a few people ordering Porsches at the moment are having to sign up to agree to pay 10% more if we fail to do a deal with the EU.

If in worst case it does fall on its arse in Jan, could we see it get even more expensive?
'18 245PP DSG

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #77 on: 25 September 2020, 13:45 »
Maybe it's built in already.. You could do that with the timing of this... If it was me, I'd have done it.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #78 on: 25 September 2020, 13:53 »
It's a bit harder for VW to get away with that than it is for Porsche. People shopping for a Porsche are generally pretty minted and if they want a Porsche they'll buy one.

If VW adds 10% to run of the mill hatchbacks and saloon cars, the less discerning customer will say "feck that i'm buying something else".
7.5 GTD

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #79 on: 25 September 2020, 16:46 »
I'd be tempted to agree with Fred and they've already done it.
'18 245PP DSG