Author Topic: caddy project , new wheels/stance  (Read 8682 times)

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
caddy project , new wheels/stance
« on: 08 June 2011, 15:15 »
I recently went halves on a caddy with a mate so we dont trash our cars all the time (he has a 485bhp audi rs4!)

my minor celebrity mate Mave (the boat that guy built - BBC no less) had recently aquired this caddy but it wasnt as useful as his transit (go figure lol) so he moved it on.

as is the usual case with my vehicles, it was a little tatty when we got it. a front end nudge meant ibiza panels had been fitted and as you can just about see, the colour was a bad match. rust scabs had been covered with stickers and it generally looked a bit naf.

we decided we didnt like it as it was but didnt want to spend a fortune so after the sucess of rollering my wife's mk3 I convinced him we should do the same to this.  He wanted satin black but we settled on matt as i think it is a little more forgiving.

Anyway I flatted back the paint, ground back and treated the rust, primed and top coated the bare metal to seal it then we slapped the matt on.

When I did the golf I used a brush for the areas the roller would not reach. this created brish marks (obv) but also the cheap brushes fell apart from the thinners i assume and it made it hard work.  to counter this we bought a couple of rattle cans for the hard to reach areas and i think it was a good move.

my mate refurbishes wheels and he had a set of 17's lying around. 2 were done in orange (look red here though) and the other pair are a custom metallic purple (which created mixed opinions). personally, i dont like it so i will show you the good side!

I had a bit of roof flashing lying around so we stuck it on the roof and the sides - it has quietened it down a little so we are going to cover the panels with it.

future plans? well the obvious plan would be to slam it but my mate is very against that idea. I will make sure i have a few quid laying around next time he goes on holiday though! can't keep it like it is it  looks rediculous.

we were thinking about a polo gti front end, a because they have sexy grills and bumpers, b because someone local was sellling all the parts for £120 and c, we thought it was a bolt on conversion (the caddy is built around the 6n polo, the 6n2 gti being a facelift) but we completely overlooked the fact the  polo has a swage line about a foot above the sills so it would need major surgery to the wings or the sides of the van to work.  so we are now thinking an ibiza cupra, just like everyone else!

thoughts? comments?
« Last Edit: 02 June 2012, 13:36 by lewis1641 »

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: caddy project (please dont laugh at the stance)
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2011, 15:17 »
Great project, needs lowering however. :laugh:

Offline i_am_me

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2011, 15:27 »
paint it blue and write reckless down the side :grin:

what is it with you and matt rollered paint? :grin:
<br />
If at first you don't succeed skydiving is not for you

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2011, 15:37 »
matt and rollering is cheap and easy. also a lot harder to look bad than rattle cans

Offline i_am_me

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2011, 15:39 »
i thought you werent allowed to go ratty
<br />
If at first you don't succeed skydiving is not for you

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2011, 16:25 »
OMG whats with the stance!?   :rolleyes: :grin:  Kidding

Nice... fast progress too, looks great and you've done a great job with the paint.. I am now tempted to bin the cans idea I've started, half my car has been canned already and i looked into the great results you can with rollers after....  What paint and rollers did you use?

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2011, 16:32 »
paint was cellulose from a local auto paint supplier. used 2.5 litres mixed with 10% thinners. i would recomend mixing the paint slightly thicker than you would if spraying.

rollers were cheapies from wilkinsons. avoid the fluffy ones - the cellulose brakes them down plus they leave a heavy texture. we used 3 foamy ones. also the rollers are the small ones, around 3". i thjink they are often called radiator rollers.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2011, 16:35 »
paint was cellulose from a local auto paint supplier. used 2.5 litres mixed with 10% thinners. i would recomend mixing the paint slightly thicker than you would if spraying.

rollers were cheapies from wilkinsons. avoid the fluffy ones - the cellulose brakes them down plus they leave a heavy texture. we used 3 foamy ones. also the rollers are the small ones, around 3". i thjink they are often called radiator rollers.

Thanks... may look into some satin for a bit of rolling action, spraying stopped half way due to expense of it and the fact it's a lot effort to get results.  Also not great doing it outdoors and constantly wishing for the wind to feck off!

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2011, 22:35 »
I think I preferred it how it was.  :lipsrsealed:

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2011, 22:41 »
I think I preferred it how it was.  :lipsrsealed:

understandable as the before picture makes it look pretty straight and tidy.  it was peppered with tiny rust scabs though so up close it was really rough.  plus the front end is a different colour to the back.

the resulting colour may not be as good but the rust would have really annoyed me and like martin (i am me) says above, my mate wouldnt let me rat it!