Author Topic: DSG paddle extensions from the MK7, do they fit?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline The_Doc

• Not said much yet
DSG paddle extensions from the MK7, do they fit?
« on: 24 December 2022, 16:55 »
Anyone know if the paddles are the same between the generations? I have some leyo extenders from my old 7.5 and wonder if it’s worth keeping them for my 8.
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
Re: DSG paddle extensions from the MK7, do they fit?
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2022, 17:20 »
The GTI paddles on the 7/7.5 and 8 are different, but there is a different wheel on some other models (life etc) that has different paddles I believe, so it depends on which car you have.
« Last Edit: 01 January 2023, 08:17 by Carlosfandango »
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2022, 17:39 »
Im awaiting a Clubsport, paddles were from an old GTI. I figured it had different paddles since leyo sell them as separate items, but wanted to check. I’m definitely picking up a set, they were cracking!
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2022, 22:54 »
From what I've read the only way of changing them on the mk8 is to swap them for the mk8 R ones as the paddles themselves are not removable, you have to swap the entire unit.

Videos out there to show you how, not too tricky it seems...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2022, 21:45 »
For anyone coming here for an answer in the future, I wook my old extenders from the mk7 down to the dealer and offered them up to the paddles on a mk8, its a definite no.

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2022, 18:05 »
From what I remember when I changed my CS paddles to the R ones, there is a pin like the mk7/7.5, however, it’s further inboard under the airbag.

I looked into this a bit myself before going for the R paddles as a work mate has the Racing Line paddles on his Polo GTI, they’re nice.

For what it’s worth, the R paddles are worth the upgrade! If you find my and others guidance on here it’s straight forward to do. If I recall, the most import step is DO NOT turn on the ignition with the airbag electronics disconnected, you will get an error that requires OBD to reset.

I didn’t get an error, some did, I think we worked out it was the turning on the ignition with the airbag on the passenger seat that was the difference :rolleyes:
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2023, 20:37 »
The Leyo extenders fasten over the existing paddles, and clamp to them with a grub screw on the bottom, rather than replacing the paddles.

Thanks for the advice on the paddle change though, I’ll make sure to keep that in mind if I do go that route.