Author Topic: Help me out please guys- Im confused  (Read 4942 times)

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
Re: Help me out please guys- Im confused
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2008, 18:20 »
G3 paste? Whats that?  :undecided:

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2008, 18:38 »
its a heavy duty compound and can strip paint in the wrong hands, it might do the trick on that clearcoat and smooth it out. you can get it in big tins or you can get different grades of it in 1ltr bottles.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #12 on: 27 November 2008, 18:43 »
Sorry mate. Im a tad stupid and would not even dare use a product like that  :lipsrsealed:

I would screw that one up badly  :laugh:

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #13 on: 27 November 2008, 18:49 »
To the OP

In no way is this meant to sound rude, but if you don't know what the problem is you aren't really qualified to tackle the task in hand and, for your own protection, avoid this like the plague.

From the photos, it looks to me like the clearcoat has marbled, in which case cutting and polishing won't do too much good. if it is clearcoat failure then then only solution for an A1 job is to remove the clearcoat and re-apply it - i.e. respray time.

As has been said by others, a car that's worth a few hundred quid isn't really a prime candidate for a job that is likely to cost 5 times the value of the car. The owner clearly isn't sentimentally attached, or wouldn't have let the car get to this state in the first place.

If you say to him you'll have a go, will he be expecting a 10/10 job? Is he going to be an a55hole if you don't get it up to scratch? If so, I'd give this one a wide berth old chap...

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #14 on: 27 November 2008, 18:59 »
Hello

In no way is this meant to sound rude, but if you don't know what the problem is you aren't really qualified to tackle the task in hand and, for your own protection, avoid this like the plague.

Neither do most people on detailing world. I know Im not qualified and technically I dont think you can be qaulified to be a detailer. There isnt much formal training available. I was told to avoid that Audi and got into a whole lot of rubbish because of it and look at it now and I did it with half the equipment  you guys have.

From the photos, it looks to me like the clearcoat has marbled, in which case cutting and polishing won't do too much good. if it is clearcoat failure then then only solution for an A1 job is to remove the clearcoat and re-apply it - i.e. respray time.

It does seem that way... Which is why im happy I asked for help instead of accepting the job immediately... You guys teach us a lot.

As has been said by others, a car that's worth a few hundred quid isn't really a prime candidate for a job that is likely to cost 5 times the value of the car. The owner clearly isn't sentimentally attached, or wouldn't have let the car get to this state in the first place.

You shouldnt judge people that way. The rest of that car is in immaculate condition. If you read my original post you will see that the car has minimal swirls and is in top condition, I didnt even bother taking pics of teh interior because it was so neat. I dont judge my details on the value of the. I judge it on how much better I can make the car look. I will explain to the owner what the issue yet try my best to rectify it.

If you say to him you'll have a go, will he be expecting a 10/10 job? Is he going to be an a55hole if you don't get it up to scratch? If so, I'd give this one a wide berth old chap...

He is a good friend of mine and I have already expressed my concerns to him. He realises that this may be an issue but Im sure he will just have it done anyway... As you said. Its an oldish car. Lots of spares around.

Please dont see me as coming across negetively. Im honestly not.

mike

Join our group now!

ShoCk

« Reply #15 on: 27 November 2008, 21:23 »
Looks like some sort of paintstripper has ruined the paintwork ... vandalism of some sort ...

But thats just me guessing.

Good luck either way trying to rectify it :)

Offline cissyputt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 28 November 2008, 22:08 »
i would say that that was one of a couple of things, its either like said before clear coat failure as in the factory its a well known fact all mass manufacturers scrimp on laquer as its damned expensive stuff, or my other thought is it looks a bit paint 'burning' where the clear coat is polished so vigerously that it warps the laquer and 'burns' it which reults in this type of thing.

I would say the best way to cure it if it is either of these things is a trip to a body shop and painty painty laquery laquery but unless its all over the car u may get away with the panel and a blend panel next to it

just my humble opinion as a painter :D
Me love you long time! 2 Dollar! BARGIN!!

Offline Benrevs

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 29 November 2008, 13:51 »
This is a binder problem.  Where the laquer is mixed athe the shop/factory ie before it was mixed with thinners and hardners.  All laquers and paints are made up of various materials including a binder which keeps the whole lot stabilized... this was a either a bad mix or bad resources This is quite common, I have seen it on many cars not just metallics.  This can also happen through excessive heat but dont think this is the case.   you will probly find that it has effected the base-coat underneath aswell.  The only way is to flat back and re-paint im afraid and personally would do the whole thing not just the affected area as it may come up elsewhere.