Author Topic: All confused ( mk7 to mk7.5)  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Plodalong

• Just got here
All confused ( mk7 to mk7.5)
« on: 11 March 2019, 22:58 »
Currently I have a 2016 GTI PP (mk7) with 35k on the clock which I love.
However, I have the opportunity to buy a brand new unregistered one with a 6k discount.
Both cars are white.
Would it make sense (financially) to change now or wait on a new Mk8 when they become available.
Thanks M.
« Last Edit: 11 March 2019, 23:21 by Plodalong »
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right.
White 16 GTI PP.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: All confused ( mk7 to mk7.5)
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2019, 23:50 »
I doubt you're going to get £6k off the Mk8. Well not straight away at least.

Any new car is going to cost £££, whether it's a Mk7.5, Mk8 or something different entirely. I'd say it doesn't really make sense to swap a 3 year old Mk7 for a Mk7.5 in pure financial terms. But if you like it, and if you can afford it without overreaching yourself then it's a good deal.

I'm hanging on for the Mk8. Not for money saving reasons though.
7.5 GTD

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2019, 09:26 »
Based on previous GTI launches, it’s usually launched a good few months after the non performance models we probably won’t see the mk8 GTI until well into the second half of 2020 and as Guzzle has said, you’re unlikely to get discounts in the region of £6k.

Additionally, if demand exceeds supply, or of VW restrict the number of GTI’s they build in the early part of the car’s lifecycle (they’ve had a tendency to do this in the past), then customers can also look forward to long lead times between ordering and getting their cars. With the mk7 GTI, it wasn’t uncommon for some of the early GTI customers to experience a wait of 8-9 months.

@Plodalong; if you wait for the mk8 GTI to be launched and order one, it might be well into 2021 before you get it. Only you can decide whether to keep your existing car for a couple more years and be an early adopter of the mk8 GTI or take advantage of the £6k discount and get the mk7.5. Not a bad dilemma to have though!

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2019, 10:06 »
Sure you are getting a 6k discount now - but the heavy discounting will be because they are on run out...

The resale value of a Mk7 once the Mk8 (in any form) will fall like a brick off a bridge...

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2019, 10:45 »
Sure you are getting a 6k discount now - but the heavy discounting will be because they are on run out...
Agree.

The resale value of a Mk7 once the Mk8 (in any form) will fall like a brick off a bridge...
Disagree. VW can't allow MK7 values to fall like a brick off a bridge, else they will have cars being handed back left right & centre and 100's of millions of pounds of negative equity to burden. They discount heavily to keep the appeal, but GFV's are still in line with where they should be as the model gets older.

All new cars depreciate, but if it's heavily discounted enough to start with it'll be proportionate to the residual depreciation over time.

It's why when the MK8 is released we won't see high performance models, they will be filtered in later to create a 'halo' image that bolsters residuals later in the MK8's lifecycle. It's why Audi release the RS version of any model at the very end of the lifecycle.

:)

SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2019, 15:23 »
Often the run out models are the very best ones to buy.
With the pre-facelift mk7 VW lopped off £3250 on top of dealer discounts making them an absolute steal.
With the 7.5 they’re now loaded with extras and there are huge discounts by the looks of it.

Value wise versus waiting for a mk8 with unknown spec and price is very dependent on many things.
Brexit will cloud the water, potentially anything could happen. Import taxes? Major recession? No Brexit?
These things will influence demand, retail costs and future values of used cars which are all relative.

There are literally dozens of ways of looking at it and juggling figures around.

Being as we pretty much know the styling of the mk8 won’t be revolutionarily different and we also know from history Golf buyers are a conservative bunch and therefore values of outgoing models hold strong until the incoming model itself has been around quite a while. This means mk7 models won’t depreciate unreasonably once you take huge discounts into consideration alongside good demand and long lead times.
VW know how to play their market.

I’m not sure what I’d do in the OP’s shoes.
Depends on the financing, what’s owed or what depreciation on the old car (cost to change in other words) and whether there are any big bills coming up on the existing car.

I could look at it from my own situation I suppose. Car approaching two years old so a nigh on £400(?) service due any minute now (counter flashing in days), £600-800 worth of new tyres needed on my Prets (admittedly I have a nigh on brand new set on my Belvederes) and road tax due.
Car value approx £24700.
Add bills together in rough estimate: £1300 I’ll never see back if I keep the car.

Personally if I was offered an in stock GTI 245PP with Brescias for circa £26k I’d probably be mad not to go for it at approx £1500 to change to a brand new fully taxed car and a set of wheels that could offset most of the cost to change.

(Thankfully I’ve not been looking!)

Traditionally that’s how I’ve done my timing of car changes, avoiding big dead money bills to offset some of the depreciation.
Admittedly previously the cost to change would have been massively more than £1500 or so (nearer £10k) and therefore you really have to weigh up longer term of the likely future depreciation of your existing car (plus any balloon payments, I’ve never had a PCP) and expected repair and wear & tear costs versus the depreciation to the same date point of your potential new car.
Therefore if you set it that you want a mk8 or whatever in Sept 2021 you will have to do a bit of research and maths.
There are masses of variables though.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2019, 15:57 »
Surely the best financial decision is to keep your current car.

The 7.5 is a step up but worth changing for?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2019, 16:18 »

Not really a step up, just a sideways one!

If you’re going to change cars at some point it’s merely a case of managing long term depreciation versus running costs.
At any given point in time a car has a certain value and will require money spending on it.
It’s how much you want to pay versus how much you want it!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2019, 17:35 »

Not really a step up, just a sideways one!

If you’re going to change cars at some point it’s merely a case of managing long term depreciation versus running costs.
At any given point in time a car has a certain value and will require money spending on it.
It’s how much you want to pay versus how much you want it!

I am in this place; but my thoughts are a little more complicated.

I got my Mk7 in Oct 2013. My option selections were extravagant and after discount it was £33k. It has been relatively cheap and painless to own, although I know I will need a new battery @ approx £240 before the Winter.

As a 63 plate it also appears a little old too, but otherwise my 20k mile car is still an enormous pleasure to drive.

However, I have transitioned to an EV as my main daily driver...which I love...and I am torn between getting a Mk7.5 before October or waiting until mid 2020 for better EVs to be available with a 300 mile range, so I can combine both vehicles to a single car which is practical, quick and fun.

Another option is to keep this Golf "forever" and go for a cheaper replacement EV that won't be as fast but can do 300 miles.
GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline Bullfinch

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2019, 19:45 »
I’ve just changed from a 64 plate GTi PP which had DSG and winter pack but was otherwise standard to a MY19 GTi PP DSG in what I call high line spec (leather, 19” Brescias, Dynaudio). Very pleased with the change and like others feel a MK8 GTi won’t be here until 2020 at best.
Daily: Mk7.5 GTi PP DSG, Weekend: 911 997 Gen 2 Carrera 4S