Author Topic: I have found RUST! HELP!!!!!  (Read 10962 times)

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: I have found RUST! HELP!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: 16 June 2010, 13:40 »
Well my Year 2000 Polo is galvernised and has plenty of bare metal from dings and scratches and none have any sign of tinworm.

Nick

kells

« Reply #21 on: 16 June 2010, 14:40 »
Galvernisation, isnt it only a coating of some sort ??  what im trying to say is  the late MK3's were worse for rust than the early ones which had the wax proofing stuff like the Mk2's.. and the same for that Era polo's, they were terrible.

Someone was saying in auto express the other week VW Golfs are not bulit like they used to be..

sad times finding rust like this on a 05 plate. hope it gets sorted out ok!

Offline sambo

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 16 June 2010, 19:13 »
It's probably had the front wings painted to remove stone chips, If they've taken it back to bare metal they'll have keyed up the metal and removed or reduced the galvanising. VW won't want to know I bet you all the money in the world.

I'd take it back to the garage you bought it off and ask them to take a look, did you get any warranty?

Sam
Sam

AXX power!  ..   Tinkering has started.... :smiley:

Offline Davstylee

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 16 June 2010, 20:59 »
It's probably had the front wings painted to remove stone chips, If they've taken it back to bare metal they'll have keyed up the metal and removed or reduced the galvanising. VW won't want to know I bet you all the money in the world.

I'd take it back to the garage you bought it off and ask them to take a look, did you get any warranty?

Sam

Trust me VW will know about it once I have finished with them. If the body shop guy says no then im going to drive the thing through the salesman at Abridge VW's window and tell him to fix it!

Yeah it came with a years extended warranty.
Mrk V, GTI, 3dr, DSG, heated seats, winter pack, cruise control, rear parking sensors and now thanks to GizzyWizzy and SteveP in the MK6 section a RCD 510. Awesome!

Offline Jimp

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 16 June 2010, 21:31 »
Take a screwdriver, dig into the rust until there is a hole, get replacement under warranty.  :grin:
Still, I'm shocked to see even a hint of rust on a mk5, let alone on two wings!
Not low enough mk5
Not on the road enough mk3

Offline sambo

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 16 June 2010, 21:44 »
It's made of steel at the end of the day. Doesn't matter what VW do to it, if a third party has been involved somewhere down the line the warranty ain't worth jack.

You should have a chance of getting something done about it with the extended warranty from the garage though, but I doubt VW UK will even get back to you about it.

Good luck with it though mate, bit of a sh!tter for such a new car.

Sam
Sam

AXX power!  ..   Tinkering has started.... :smiley:

Offline Oilburner

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 16 June 2010, 23:04 »
My 54 plate Mk5 has some blistering in a tiny area on the lip of the bonnet where it seems there may be a bit of rust, its probably only a few mm in length. Was just going to sort it myself when I got around to it (The MK2 takes more than enough of my time  :grin:) but think I will try the stealers after seeing this thread!!  :wink:
1987 - MkII Golf GTI 16v
2005 - MkIV Golf GTTDI 140

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 17 June 2010, 10:14 »

Body protection warranty
The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance or by external rusting.

I had a similar issue with a 2year old Mazda 6 (54 plate). Rust on all 4 wheel arches.
Searching the internet and talking to the bodyshop tech it turns out Mazda used cheep metal for a few years as there was a shortage and a lot of cars were now displaying rust around the wheel arches.
The set up I had to go through was (which I'd imagine would be similar to VW), take the car to the garage for pictures to be taken, these were then emailed off to Mazda head office, waited several months for an answer on whether they would repair them or not.

Here's the bad news, they agreed to repair the rear wheel arches as these had corroded from the inside out due to poor metal. The fronts that looked exactly the same to me were corroding from the outside in and not covered from their anti perforation warranty (external rusting). I took it further and demanded some big shot come from head office. They still refused to budge. He claimed it was completely different.

I think the fact the cost for repairing the 2 rear wheel arches that they were covering, £2800 compared to the front which they refused to do at only a couple of hundred pounds said to me they were probably right.

Its an even longer story in that the garage did the work, told me they changed all the rear panels etc only for the rust to return 6 months later. Bar-stewards had only rubbed the rust down and painted it!!! Claimed Mazda instructed them to do this first!! Whole scenario took about 2 years (I kid you not) and in the end I got that fed up I traded the car in for the golf. They still never changed the rear panels and to this day I'm still waiting on Mazda contacting me!!!
« Last Edit: 17 June 2010, 10:37 by p3asa »
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Davstylee

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 17 June 2010, 14:41 »
Just a quick up date, I am still waiting for the body shop tech to get back to me. Been told I should get a call by the end of next week.

In the mean time I have sent a letter to the salesman who sold me the car, explaining the faults I am currently having (air con not working, the rust ect.) I said I want some form of compensation and reassurance that the faults will get fixed quickly and I will not have to pay for them, otherwise I will take legal action against them. Should get some sort of reply I think. :grin:

Just hope it all gets sorted quick unlike the Mazda case above.
Mrk V, GTI, 3dr, DSG, heated seats, winter pack, cruise control, rear parking sensors and now thanks to GizzyWizzy and SteveP in the MK6 section a RCD 510. Awesome!

Offline Gene Hunt.

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 17 June 2010, 18:17 »
Bet the bast**ds come back with '' you should have had the car inspected by a main dealer every year sir'' for your car to be covered by the body work warranty''.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2010, 20:30 by Gene Hunt. »
Candy White ED35.