Author Topic: Golf GTI 16v mk3 2L Brake pad warning light!  (Read 5788 times)

Offline jbh-sn

• Just got here
Golf GTI 16v mk3 2L Brake pad warning light!
« on: 08 March 2012, 22:41 »
Hi all,

I bought my golf a few months back, and I knew the front discs were wearing. A couple of weeks ago the pad wear indicator turned on.

Now I have changed the discs, and pads, but the light remains on, sometimes after 5 minutes of driving, sometimes after 1 minute, or just on straight away. It doesn't come on when I apply the brakes, just at a random moment, but always stays on for the duration of driving until ignition switched off.

Now a couple of questions; first one being, do you need to reset the sensors at all, or are they automatic? and how do the sensors actually work? finding this out would help me determine the problem. Would it be a circuit that is broken when the pads get to a certain level, and my circuit is broken somewhere else, sending false signals (or none at all)?
I just find it really odd, either the sensors started playing up before i changed the discs and pads, or something may have been disturbed in the process if there is no reset.

Any help?? :undecided:
« Last Edit: 08 March 2012, 22:47 by jbh-sn »

Offline Dogbot

• Here all the time
Re: Golf GTI 16v mk3 2L Brake pad warning light!
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2012, 22:52 »
Are you sure it's not the handbrake light that's coming on as Im not aware that there where wear indicators on the mk3, the symptoms you describe are as if a previous owner has removed the abs light bulb, the handbrake lamp comes on sometimes when this is the case, my car does this..... It also does the intermittent symptom you describe but with the handbrake lamp, a quick test I found that highlights this is if you unplug the abs light cluster from its plug, with this unplugged the handbrake light comes on and goes off correctly, plug the abs lamp cluster back in, if th lamp comes on an stays on you will need to look at the abs system, alternatively you could test you abs by braking hard In a safe place where there are no other vehicles..... Hope my ramblings help

Offline tweed

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2012, 22:53 »
What light is it? As I didn't know they had a warning light. I know you can get the pads with the wire on them for the warning.

So start with what light you got?
And did you get the right pads?

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2012, 23:49 »
Brake warning light is also fluid level so might be worth checking it.

Offline MK3 Menace

• Here all the time
  • 98 GTI, big changes are coming...
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2012, 23:51 »
My R plate has a brake warning light.

Someone posted about it recently. Think it a thread to do with unused dash lights...

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2012, 01:23 »
Yup, there sure was.

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2012, 07:22 »

This is the brake pad warning light. If this light is on, you must have noticed wires on at least one of the pads?

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2012, 18:50 »
As far as im aware the handbrake light is also brake wear indicator,low brake fluid indicator,also something to do with the brake bias on the abs system.

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2012, 18:53 »
Don't think the handbrake light is a wear indicator mate. Is a low fluid and bias warning light though. It's an indication of ABS issues on the rear.

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2012, 18:57 »
thry don't have wer indicator for the MK3, it was MK4 onwards

it will be hand break light coming on coz the pads are worn thus making the fluid level drop

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/