Author Topic: More Door Dragon Green GTi  (Read 5450 times)

Offline Pokey

• Not said much yet
More Door Dragon Green GTi
« on: 25 February 2013, 19:56 »
So here I have my GTi project. I got bitten by the Dub Bug back in the late 90's and my affair with the brand started with a MK2 GTI big bumper more door. After several more dubs and many failed attempts at getting projects off the ground (always had to sell the car before I could do anything) I have finally got one to get stuck in to.

It's a '97 R Plate 8V AGG with 99K on the clocks. Body work wise it's pretty straight with only the usual stone chips on the front showing the true signs of age and mileage. It did belong to a friend of mine who sold her on because she'd bought a Rav4. She sold it to another friend of mine who spent a lot of time getting the exterior plastics mounted properly (missing clips replaced etc) and generally tidying her up. However he soon got bored with it as he's a Bimmer boy and his main focus is a rather tidy 323i Vert with Schintzers & Hard top etc. So he looked to move it on. Durning his ownership it had developed a misfire, so he cleaned out the intake etc and replaced gaskets. It disappeared for a short while but then started to misfire again. Eventually after getting no bites on the adverts he'd placed he ended up selling it to me for £250

I stuck a new set of plugs, leads and dizzy cap on it and it hasn't misfired since. The day i bought it was also the day that the NSF spring snapped so I've ordered a set of coil overs to combat that issue. I am picking up a set of BBS RXII 16" wheels and a Vento front end this weekend.

Here's how she looks in her current state:

She's not doing bad for her age.

I have started to re trim the interior upper plastics. I hate the beige contrast against the black cloth seats and black dash. I have chosen to cover them in Marvel quilting fabric, something I am sure will not be to everyones taste but I like it. The headlining will also be covered in it.

I have a list of mods I want to add:
Vento front end
BBS RXII rims (although I really want a set of corvette rims)
Delete rear door handles (have a couple of 2nd hand doors coming)
Duckbill splitter
CL Hatch
Scorpion Exhaust (already have this ready to fit)
Coilovers
Remove arch plastics (nervous about what I'm going to find underneath)

I'm looking at this as a long term project so have no idea when it'll be finished, but I hope to at least get it road worthy and get to some shows in it this year in a part complete form.

I'll keep you posted with progress and pictures. 

He who dares Rodders!!

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
Re: More Door Dragon Green GTi
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2013, 20:07 »
good little project there mate, look forward to it unfolding  :smiley:

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
Re: More Door Dragon Green GTi
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2013, 09:19 »
Can't beat a dragon green  Mk3. :) I know that feeling of trepidation on removing the arch covers, both my rears were rotten to the point of being almost non-existant. So the covers went straight back on! Plans sound good, look forward to it unfolding.