Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362420 times)

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
Also, if the tensioner has gone and the chain has stretched, would it be normal for the mechanic to want to check the piston heads and change the oil in case it got contaminated? VW are going to charge me for that too :(

I’m no mechanic but they should be closed systems so how could stuff get in there?

Thanks!

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
Also, if the tensioner has gone and the chain has stretched, would it be normal for the mechanic to want to check the piston heads and change the oil in case it got contaminated? VW are going to charge me for that too :(

I’m no mechanic but they should be closed systems so how could stuff get in there?

Thanks!

I think the oil would need to be changed as the engine has to 'tilted' in the engine bay (engine mount removed) to gain access to the timing chain side cover (which is metal and sealed), so some oil will be lost when the cover is removed. In my case I also had a problem with the cam pressure release valve (cant remember the exact item), so this needed changing also and there was the chance of metal particles had got into the oil from this item.  I had new oil and filter when my chain and tensioner were changed, I think it is good practise to change the oil for a few quid extra.

Your pistons should be fine if the timing is only out, and the chain not actually broken. But I guess they are checking all basis's and a bit of health check.

I felt the same at the time as you regarding VW and MK6 GTI, but they are great cars. I traded mine about 9 months later due to it needing more money spending on it (rear caliper seized, 2 x front tyres, service etc), but I ended up buying another GTI, this time MK7. GTI is great car so hard to look past, I took a punt on the MK7 GTI as it runs the gen 3 version of the 2.0 TSI, the MK6 is gen 1 version.  My thinking is hopefully by 3 generations VW have the basics sorted - hope I'm right!

Hope it gets sorted soon, let us know how it goes.

Mike
« Last Edit: 04 January 2018, 08:39 by mikegti77 »
MK7 GTI, Carbon Grey, Pan Sunroof

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
Update

Got a quote for the work from Lancaster VW in Milton Keynes, £1050 for parts and 12 hrs labour costing £1750 so total of £2,800. Customer services girl from retailer had no idea what she was talking about and so wishy washy it was unreal.

Work to replace tensioner, chain, other ‘bits’, change oil and check pistons. When asked what other bits are and could I have a breakdown of cost she said no, internal use only.

She also said they could get the work done for £1,400 if I pay for service which is due in couple weeks and then she would ‘ask’ VW if they would contribute out of goodwill it get it down to £1400. So no garuantee, wanted me to pay £330 for service and authorize the work for £2,800 and only then would she try to see what they would do. Shocking. Bad enough car has failed but now feels like they are trying to rip me off. I called VW and raised a case so waiting to hear back.

However got a quote from an indie of £600 to change tensioner, chains (there’s two apparently, big and small) and guides. Even if they do spot anything else it’ll be a damn sight cheaper than Lancaster VW MK. Decision made really.

I’ve just ordered a MK 7.5 GTI on lease.  Just looking to fix the MK 6 then get rid as soon as I can now after all this.

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
Update

Got a quote for the work from Lancaster VW in Milton Keynes, £1050 for parts and 12 hrs labour costing £1750 so total of £2,800. Customer services girl from retailer had no idea what she was talking about and so wishy washy it was unreal.

Work to replace tensioner, chain, other ‘bits’, change oil and check pistons. When asked what other bits are and could I have a breakdown of cost she said no, internal use only.

She also said they could get the work done for £1,400 if I pay for service which is due in couple weeks and then she would ‘ask’ VW if they would contribute out of goodwill it get it down to £1400. So no garuantee, wanted me to pay £330 for service and authorize the work for £2,800 and only then would she try to see what they would do. Shocking. Bad enough car has failed but now feels like they are trying to rip me off. I called VW and raised a case so waiting to hear back.

However got a quote from an indie of £600 to change tensioner, chains (there’s two apparently, big and small) and guides. Even if they do spot anything else it’ll be a damn sight cheaper than Lancaster VW MK. Decision made really.

I’ve just ordered a MK 7.5 GTI on lease.  Just looking to fix the MK 6 then get rid as soon as I can now after all this.

Keep pushing with VW customer services, they will likely play hardball, but if the car has full main dealer history you may get something.  I am surprised at the total cost, another member (Hardwell I think) on page 56 of this thread paid £1390 at a main dealer (which fits in with your possible £1,400 goodwill), that was a few years ago and I'm not sure of the level of goodwill he received.  Also check out page 1 of this thread, it has a summary of what other members paid for their engine repairs, this could be a good guide for you.  Your £600 at an indie sounds about right.

The MK7 / MK7.5 is a great car.  It is always a catch 22 when spending big money on a car repair, repair it and keep it and hope nothing else big goes wrong, or move it on and the next owner gets the benefit of your repair.

Fingers crossed for you.
« Last Edit: 05 January 2018, 08:52 by mikegti77 »

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
Update

Keep pushing with VW customer services, they will likely play hardball, but if the car has full main dealer history you may get something.  I am surprised at the total cost, another member (Hardwell I think) on page 56 of this thread paid £1390 at a main dealer (which fits in with your possible £1,400 goodwill offer), that was a few years ago and I'm not sure of the level of goodwill he received.  Also check out page 1 of this thread, it has a summary of what other members paid for their engine repairs, this could be a good guide for you.  Your £600 at an indie sounds about right.

The MK7 / MK7.5 is a great car.  It is always a catch 22 when spending big money on a car repair, repair it and keep it and hope nothing else big goes wrong, or move it on and the next owner gets the benefit of your repair.

Fingers crossed for you.

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
Hi guys,

Another update. VW aren’t prepared to contribute anything to the cost of my repairs. The VW dealer is prepared to contribute 50% to the total of £2,600, so I would pay £1,300 after their goodwill. I just wanted to ask for something advice and if you think I should go for it. I managed to get a breakdown of the work.

The parts are £900 inc VAT. Biggest cost being a ‘repset’ costing £200, any ideas what this is? Apart from the chains, tensioners and rails, there’s also a few gaskets and sealants which cost a few bob. Is this normal to need to replace these when changing the chain and tensioner?

The work they say their going to do is ‘carry out compression test, remove cylinder head, check valve seats, piston pertrusion replace camshaft drive chain, tensioners and guides, carry out final check’. Apparently it is 12 hrs labour. Is this work necessary? Chain has stretched but not snapped. But sounds like they want to take apart the engine which explains the gaskets. Indie I spoke to said it sounds a bit OTT and quoted me about £600 to change chains, tensioners and guides.  Im looking to get it running so I can sell on, is it worth spending the extra money to take the engine apart to check the other components?

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
Hi guys,

Another update. VW aren’t prepared to contribute anything to the cost of my repairs. The VW dealer is prepared to contribute 50% to the total of £2,600, so I would pay £1,300 after their goodwill. I just wanted to ask for something advice and if you think I should go for it. I managed to get a breakdown of the work.

The parts are £900 inc VAT. Biggest cost being a ‘repset’ costing £200, any ideas what this is? Apart from the chains, tensioners and rails, there’s also a few gaskets and sealants which cost a few bob. Is this normal to need to replace these when changing the chain and tensioner?

The work they say their going to do is ‘carry out compression test, remove cylinder head, check valve seats, piston pertrusion replace camshaft drive chain, tensioners and guides, carry out final check’. Apparently it is 12 hrs labour. Is this work necessary? Chain has stretched but not snapped. But sounds like they want to take apart the engine which explains the gaskets. Indie I spoke to said it sounds a bit OTT and quoted me about £600 to change chains, tensioners and guides.  Im looking to get it running so I can sell on, is it worth spending the extra money to take the engine apart to check the other components?

Difficult one regarding the cost as it is your money / car etc.  But it's £1,300 at VW main dealer, £600 at indie.  Given you already come this far with the main dealer (as in labour costs for investigation work), if you took the car away now to be repaired at an indie, would you not be hit with some labour costs at the main dealer?, plus the cost of transporting the car to the indie garage.  In other words, the difference would no longer be £700, but potentially a lot less.

I also believe that all work completed at VW main dealers comes with 2 year warranty on parts and labour. Work at your indie will come with a 2 year warranty on parts only, at least that was the case with my indie.  Perhaps not important to you, but if you are selling the car any potential buyer having done their home work will be asking about timing chain and if has been changed etc, a VW main dealer warranty backed chain replacement with an invoice will help the sale I would think.

The parts sound a little expensive and 12 hours labour does sound a lot, however, I don't know the full breakdown of components being changed (it does sound over and above the usual chain, tensioner, guides and chain cover which is what your inide will be quoting for), i would concentrate on the total cost and if you are happy rather than amount of labour etc.  No idea what 'repset' is, the gaskets and sealants again not totally sure, but i do know the timing chain cover for example uses a special sealant which is expensive - again my parts listing is on or around page 14 on this thread.   If gaskets are mentioned, this will be due to the cylinder head being removed.

It sounds like you are slowly getting this sorted, and the dealer has done the right thing by dropping the price to a similar level seen on this thread.  Not my money, but if you are wanting my opinion... Let the dealer do the work, you know the cost now (be clear with them you will not pay any more than the £1,300 quoted), it will be fully warranted work and less hassle overall than trailering the car to the indie, and essentially starting over again with work.  Also potentially the bill may raise from the indie if other problems are found.  Then you need to pay VW for the time already spend with the car.

Let us know what you decide and when you get the car back.

Mike
« Last Edit: 10 January 2018, 09:15 by mikegti77 »

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your advice and support through this ordeal! 

Essentially, the difference in price now comes down to the extra work VW want to do to take the engine apart to check the pistons and valves and then use new parts to put it back together. However, if they do find any other problems I’m not sure there will be any goodwill towards those costs.

The cost of towing the car to the indie is minimal, just £30 as its only a few miles away. I have also used this indie before last year to change the engine manifold, they specialize in VW group motors and I trust them. I took the car to VW hoping they would do the lot for free!  On balance, I think I’d rather pay the £600 quoted by the indie and if they find any other issues it shouldn’t be any more than what VW are asking.  Good point on the warranty but I’m going to sell on webuyanycar, do you think it would matter there?

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your advice and support through this ordeal! 

Essentially, the difference in price now comes down to the extra work VW want to do to take the engine apart to check the pistons and valves and then use new parts to put it back together. However, if they do find any other problems I’m not sure there will be any goodwill towards those costs.

The cost of towing the car to the indie is minimal, just £30 as its only a few miles away. I have also used this indie before last year to change the engine manifold, they specialize in VW group motors and I trust them. I took the car to VW hoping they would do the lot for free!  On balance, I think I’d rather pay the £600 quoted by the indie and if they find any other issues it shouldn’t be any more than what VW are asking.  Good point on the warranty but I’m going to sell on webuyanycar, do you think it would matter there?

I understand, you have to do what you are comfortable with.  I have a trusted local indie also, and I must admit I would trust them more than my main dealer, and my main dealer is a pretty decent one.

Let us know how it all pans out, hopefully the VW dealer will not want too much for the work already undertaken.  If you are selling through we buy any car they will not be bothered about the chain replacement, just don't even mention it to them.  They just sell it on through the trade, so things like condition, mileage, service history and any damage to paintwork / alloys is more important to them.

Good luck

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
Thanks Mike, I’m hoping it’s just the standard £72 VW will charge me for the diagnosis!

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks