Author Topic: How long...  (Read 3751 times)

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
How long...
« on: 22 June 2012, 13:11 »
...Will my car last now I have noticed that my DMF is failing. When up on the ramps you can hear it knocking, not really loud but you know it is knocking if you stick your head next to the gear box.

Car still drives ok, no issues with gear changes or anything. The clutch is on its way out (hasn't slipped once YET *touch wood*) so was planning on replacing at the end of my 8 week stint working at the Olympics...Will it survive maybe another 1k miles?  :undecided:

Cheers

PS - Garage quoted about £200-240 for labour to change the clutch & flywheel...This seem fair?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: How long...
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2012, 13:19 »
How long is a piece of string??

I drove nearly a 1000 miles when my clutch was slipping and the DMF rattling.  The new DMF was rattling when I sold it and had been like that for 'some time'

You should be fine; just don't race it  :wink:

I paid £200 labour; most people around my area didn't even want the job  :undecided:

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2012, 13:24 »

I drove nearly a 1000 miles when my clutch was slipping and the DMF rattling.  The new DMF was rattling when I sold it and had been like that for 'some time'

I paid £200 labour; most people around my area didn't even want the job  :undecided:

Brilliant. Cheers for that mate :afro:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2012, 13:25 »

Brilliant. Cheers for that mate :afro:

No worries; just don't blame me if it fails tomorrow  :lipsrsealed: :tongue: :kiss: :grin:

Offline archie837

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2012, 08:26 »
seems a fair price!

I changed mine my self and it took all fecking day. Horrible job.

I had a  look on ECP and they are offering solid flywheel conversion kits with clutch for about £250. Not sure how good they are though  :huh:
Project longterm Airbanger.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=163335.0

PD150 Anni daily

Offline Dean_W

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2012, 17:37 »
I had a  look on ECP and they are offering solid flywheel conversion kits with clutch for about £250. Not sure how good they are though  :huh:

Had one and took it out....that chatter is horrendous!  :sad:

Si, my DMF was fooked for about a year.  Did about 20K on it  :laugh:  I drove normal.  The only thing was sometimes it struggled to turn over when starting.  Also, high torque in low gears it juddered a little bit.
2002 GT TDI, Hybrid, Diff etc. 221BHP 355LB/FT

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
  • 2015 (65) Golf GTD, 2016 (66) Golf GTI
« Reply #6 on: 05 July 2012, 17:06 »
Hopefully getting mine done next week

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2012, 14:52 »

What are you having replaced/refitted? Keep us posted on how it goes  :smiley:

Would it damage the engine/gear box if you continue running the car if the flywheel is on the way out? I understand it will still be drivable but how does that affect the rest of the engine?  :undecided:

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
  • 2015 (65) Golf GTD, 2016 (66) Golf GTI
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2012, 15:54 »

What are you having replaced/refitted? Keep us posted on how it goes  :smiley:

Would it damage the engine/gear box if you continue running the car if the flywheel is on the way out? I understand it will still be drivable but how does that affect the rest of the engine?  :undecided:

Dual mass flywheel and clutch on my GT TDI, its booked in Thurs @ Midland VW  :wink:

Well mine is rattling, I'm not getting vibration much yet but its not worth the risk.. I hear it can damage gearbox eventually