Author Topic: GTI Review and links.  (Read 321908 times)

Offline ROO1

• GTI forum regular
Re: New GTI Reviews?
« Reply #30 on: 21 April 2013, 08:44 »
Lol I mean punchy diesels. The 4 pot I did love was our old TT-S cab....full of drama
Mk7 Golf GTD on order for 64 plate delivery
5 door
Pure White

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 21 April 2013, 09:16 »
wow he touched a raw nerve with you lot  :grin:

glad I decided not to order one, EVO know whats great and what does not hit the sweet spot of fun. the mark 7 GTI is going too be good but not great  :wink:

I live my life between 1-3k revs which is where my Sciricco was boring and the GTD will flourish.  Have any of you lived with big power diesels?

Fair enough, the mk7 has got considerably more torque than the outgoing model so in theory should perform a little better in the lower rev ranges but between 1-3k says mile munching to me where the GTD will beat the GTI hands down, we all have our reasons for choosing what we do but performance wouldn't be the reason i'd buy a diesel.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline ROO1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #32 on: 21 April 2013, 09:34 »
GTD is the perfect real-world car. Similar in success to the original Fabia VRS
5 door
Pure White

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 21 April 2013, 09:47 »
GTD is the perfect real-world car. Similar in success to the original Fabia VRS

The GTD is the perfect real world car - if you live your life between 1-3k revs i.e. for you (as you've stated).  Personally I get past 3k revs as soon as possible, as id rather have some fun in a car rather than pootling along like a granny - hence why I have ordered a GTI!  :evil:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #34 on: 21 April 2013, 09:57 »
Ooh play nicely now boys, or this will turn into a Derv v Petrol debate :wink:
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 21 April 2013, 10:06 »
Just healthy banter/discussions! Each to their own and it would be very dull if we all liked & bought the same car!

Bottom line is the GTD & GTI are shaping up to be great cars!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 21 April 2013, 10:12 »
How many of us are driving these cars to the limit like evo testers. If we want our 'back ends' sliding out round roundabouts, we'll buy a cater ham, or a vauxhall.  It seems as tho th new golf does everything I want it to, and the alternatives for the money don't.

Exactly right IMHO ... journos always review cars as if they were on a track all the time, where in reality actual owners are looking for a great all rounder for all types of trips in all types of weather.  The MK 6 Golf R got very similar types of comments, but for me it was the best car I've ever owned.   

A few more quotes from EVO to get back on thread  :smiley:

I didn't know about this one :-

If you opt for the performance pack you get a choice LSD settings (normal or sport)

"We'd tick the option for the Performance Pack (PP - £980) with which you also get the clever electronically controlled LSD.  Also tick the Adaptive Chassis Control (£795) with Driver Profile Selection (standard) giving you control over ACC, throttle mapping, steering mode and on PP cars, whether you want the diff in Normal or Sport mode."   

"The most notable improvement to the engine is in mid-range torque.  The PP GTi delivers 258lbft - the same as the MK 6 R and 51lb ft more than the Mk 6 GTI"

"There's very little kickback and grip levels are easy to detect both on the way into and out of corners.  This allows properly committed driving; you can attack the corners vey hard and drive through them without fear of sudden oversteer."

"The Jacaro tartan seats are comfy, the driving position relaxed but multi adjustable, the dials are clear and the infotainment excellent.  There's little wind or road noise, and the ride in "Normal" is relaxed. "

Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 21 April 2013, 10:37 »
Cheers Jonny, i downloaded Evo to my ipad yesterday only to discover it was last months!! :embarrassed: :angry:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline ROO1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #38 on: 21 April 2013, 14:19 »
Just healthy banter/discussions! Each to their own and it would be very dull if we all liked & bought the same car!

Bottom line is the GTD & GTI are shaping up to be great cars!

2 great competitors :)
5 door
Pure White

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #39 on: 21 April 2013, 14:41 »
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)