Author Topic: Well I'm calling this extreme GTI 16V makeover LOL!  (Read 97412 times)

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
Re: Well I'm calling this extreme GTI 16V makeover LOL!
« Reply #40 on: 01 November 2010, 09:50 »
mmmmm not a bad idea mate!
Grill is on and started to take shape!

Offline Jimmy Filth

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 01 November 2010, 10:01 »
Looking great, the only downside is I want to do the exact same to my engine bay, but have no knowledge how to. haha
7R 5 door.  Limestone Grey.  19" Pretoria's, Leather, DCC, Winter pack, keyless entry, rear camera.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 01 November 2010, 10:04 »
Looking great, the only downside is I want to do the exact same to my engine bay, but have no knowledge how to. haha

Jimmy bit of time, effort and money you can do anything you want mate, but if you use it as a daily its more difficult! You can do it on the cheap I did! :wink:

Offline Jimmy Filth

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 01 November 2010, 10:07 »
Mine is a daily drive, but I'm off work at the minute. haha.

I'm definately going to do the inlet manifold and rocker cover, then do as much as I can to make it clean.  Tempted to remove the under bonnet lining to polish the underside of the bonnet.

What paint did you use? anything special that can handle the heat?

Car looks amazing though mate, hats off to you.
7R 5 door.  Limestone Grey.  19" Pretoria's, Leather, DCC, Winter pack, keyless entry, rear camera.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #44 on: 01 November 2010, 10:12 »

I'm definately going to do the inlet manifold and rocker cover, then do as much as I can to make it clean.  Tempted to remove the under bonnet lining to polish the underside of the bonnet.

NO excuse.... my last mk1 was a daily..... you just need to plan it well... small jobs in the evenings and bigger ones at the weekend...  You know there's plenty of help on here if you post idea's up etc.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 01 November 2010, 10:19 »

I only use engine enamel VHT simonz silver and satin black, gloss black then use VHT laquire for other bits!
I get them about £4.00 a can, but buy in bulk like 10 cans off egay.
The manifold doesn't really get that hot about 55C max  :wink:
the only top tip I can give you is I bake the metal parts in the oven at a 20 degrees lower than rated it helps to seal and cure the paint for a tougher finish!
I can PM you a link from the chap I buy from nice bloke! 

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #46 on: 01 November 2010, 12:09 »
you inspired me to give my engine a bit of a scrub this weekend jay. i would show you a before and after but you can barely see a difference!

Offline Jimmy Filth

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 01 November 2010, 12:19 »
Is there a 'how to' for spraying engine parts on here??  I've tried a quick search but am useless.

Also, if you could PM me that'd be great.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 01 November 2010, 13:15 »
you inspired me to give my engine a bit of a scrub this weekend jay. i would show you a before and after but you can barely see a difference!

Haaaa yeah don't worry I'm keepin an eye out on all you thread and Kai's but he is a special case  :grin:
The trick is to use brake cleaner until all grease oil and grime has turned into powder then use a metal brush to get it off no point in just rubbing it with cleaners it just doesn't cut through!

Is there a 'how to' for spraying engine parts on here??  I've tried a quick search but am useless.

Also, if you could PM me that'd be great.

Jimmy here is a direct link he ships fast and you can ring him for advice aswell really nice bloke loves his cars!

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/E-MOTOR-SPARES/SIMONIZ-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=825327012&_sid=536141442&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=2

The equipment is simples:
One 4-5 liters can of brake cleaner for about £6-£7
6 cans of VHT including some laquire
One tough iron bristle brush, smaller ones you can pick up anywhere.
Masking tape Quality one that does not leave any residue NOT B&Q sh*t  :laugh:
Loads of rags or lint free cloths. Old clothes work fine!
Anything that needs a gasket bolts & washers just buy before you start stripping, some sealant orange instant gasket works well.
The trick is prep in painting all surfaces must be dirt, oil and grease free before attempting to spray!
Try not to paint over any places that mate with other surfaces like inlet holes and threads it will cause you trouble if you over spray!
Do light coats in sweeping motions, but remember the best finish is lighter coats, but more layers, leaving at least 1/2hr between coats depends on ambient temps to cure off quicker.
If your anal you can make a plastic tent to stop dust floating in during spray times.
Best thing about Alu VHT goes right on, no need to Etch primer unless its a smooth surface you are spraying.

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 01 November 2010, 16:08 »
I know what I'm doing this week  :laugh:
 :lipsrsealed:                                 
Guess it could have been worse I plugged all leaks but still got steamy rear windows further investigation revealed this still got solid metal but if I don't sort it now I'll pay later on! :cry: