Author Topic: Polishing question for a ceramic coating.  (Read 4754 times)

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
Polishing question for a ceramic coating.
« on: 09 July 2018, 10:33 »
Background
My new Golf was Pro detailed and ceramic coated immediately following the PDI with no dealer cleaning whatsoever.
I now want to learn how to detail the car myself with my detailer supplying me with a suitable shampoo.

Q; Can I apply a final polish to the car after shampooing and drying, and if so what product would be suitable?

:confused:

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
Re: Polishing question for a ceramic coating.
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2018, 11:04 »
Hi Mike,

It shouldn't be required, and indeed I'd discourage any polish with cut to it.  For maintenance and ongoing gloss, your detailer should be able to recommend a "quick detailer" that you can use to spray on and wipe off.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2018, 14:09 »
Mike, do you actually mean polish?  Or a sealant/wax or Quick Detailer to top up the coating?

A polish is a compound containing abrasives to give cutting ability, so designed to remove a few microns of clearcoat to correct defects.  If you use a polish, you will be removing your ceramic coating unless it’s Gtechniq Crystal Serum which bonds with paint at substrate level and thus can only be wet sanded off.  Virtually all other ceramic coatings can be removed by polishing.  So if you want to keep the coating, don’t polish.

However if you mean a use a sealant on top of the ceramic coating, then yes you can.  Be guided by the detailer to select something compatible with your ceramic coating. Such as a nano or polymer based sealant, preferably from the same chemical family as your coating.  And use every few weeks after a wash to refresh the paint and add a layer of sacrificial protection.  Very very common practice amongst detailing enthusiasts. Some sealants are designed to reactivate ceramic coatings.  Ask your detailed for recommendations.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2018, 14:49 »
Thanks for your guidance.

To me polishing is what we do to furniture using beeswax, nothing is removed from the wood and just a fine layer of wax is added.
Obviously I dont want to add wax to ceramic, nor do I want to harm or deplete the coating and I haven't a clue what spec. the product applied was either.
I will talk to The Man Timself about how to keep it nice and shiney and the products he advises.

What a minefield of terms and processes me thinks  :shocked:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2018, 15:09 »
It is a bit of a minefield but once you get your head round it it’s not so bad.  But yes, car polishing is sort of the opposite to polishing furniture!

I’m sure your detailed will be able to recommend a suitable product for use with your coating.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2018, 11:27 »
A coating, at best, may only need a 're-charge' type product. As mentioned you wouldn't want to polish it as by definition it would remove the coating.

What coating was applied and why do you think that you need to top it up?

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2018, 13:06 »
Thanks for the advice.
As Im a total newbie to all of this self-cleaning business I have been watching a number of how to videos on the 'tube.
Some guys in the US were using a product on the paintwork after the shampoo and dry had been completed and the results were amazing, also seen pics of the cars on here which are as good or even better, blindingly shiney!!

What product was used by my detailer I do not know, but I do know he is applying the same material to cars worth +£1/2mil so I would expect it is among the best available. Certainly when he snow foamed my car the snow foam was sliding off one side before he had covered the other.

You will appreciate I dont want to end up with a gargage full of pruducts I cannot use because they are either incompatible or unsuitable, hence my very basic questions.

Will get onto foaming equipment and resien filter systems after I sorted the 2 bucket basics.

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2018, 13:57 »
Just to add to comments Mike, we had our Gti CS Gtechniq ceramic coated along with Llumar ppf front end after buying it last year. After wash/towelling I've just used a Swissvax quick detail spray recommended by guys who did the work....obviously other brands are available but it does a fantastic job (albeit bit pricey!)

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2018, 10:58 »
Just to add to comments Mike, we had our Gti CS Gtechniq ceramic coated along with Llumar ppf front end after buying it last year. After wash/towelling I've just used a Swissvax quick detail spray recommended by guys who did the work....obviously other brands are available but it does a fantastic job (albeit bit pricey!)

Thanks for your post above.
The company who coated my car in Oct '16 had it for two days following the PDI and (I think) it had three coats of the ceramic whatever, at the time I hadn't heard of PPF and had only leant of Ceramic coating from this forum.
The same company is going to supply me with a compatible shampoo which Im planning to use with the 2bucket process (just spent £50+ on the required items).
Rebecca has suggested Quick Detailer which I will ask about at the same time.

My 'problem' is that although Ive owned nearly 30 Cars Ive never cleaned them much at all, , they either stayed dirty, Him above washed them or I would drive them to the local ford and slosh them with a bucket.
Im begining to think that the cost of car cleaning items are comparable to those used on boats ££££££!

:cry: