Author Topic: Losing coolant, reassure me!  (Read 5644 times)

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
Re: Losing coolant, reassure me!
« Reply #10 on: 10 November 2012, 11:51 »
Oh and pipe clamps, are you using original ones or replacement ones? the original ones tend to leak and not hold pressure too well after years.

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 10 November 2012, 14:01 »
Pipes and clamps are original but show no signs of any leak. Will take a look at the thermostat housing when it's not raining outside. It's strange because it will lose a whole expansion tanks worth in a couple of hours running but then be fine :s Coolant  temp stable at 90, oil temp fine. Have ordered a new expansion cap incase its not venting correctly and over pressurising?

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 10 November 2012, 14:29 »
Have the engine running, preferably when the engine is cold and it's dry outside, squeeze any of the main water pipes and check for leaks, the reason I say when the engine is cold is so that the thermostat stays closed and will allow a little more pressure buildup around that area, also making it easier to see if there is a leak from that area. And not to mention, you won't fancy squeezing a hot water pipe.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2012, 14:31 by DCmk3 »

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 12 November 2012, 19:22 »
Quick easy question for someone! Does the expansion cap on your Mk3 have some kind of seal/oring? Mine doesn't, but neither did the new one I got from VW....asked them and they weren't sure :s

Car is still driving fine with no coolant in expansion tank and apparently not losing any more!?

Anyway have ordered a new tank, thermostat housing, and a selection of jubilee clips to replace all standard clamps.

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 12 November 2012, 20:22 »
Well mine has no seal on it.

Offline spudboy6

• I live here
  • Just like a golf ......
« Reply #15 on: 13 November 2012, 22:59 »
just had a quick read of your thread and i might have missed it but i can't believe the thermostat housing hasn't been mentioned !

yes we all know that the black unit on the front of the engine where your leak is coming doesnt actualy house the termostat but thats what VW call it ! , anyways it gets brittle over time and where the two 10mm nuts are the housing cracks due to heat and stress causing your leak .

so change the thermostat housing . and you will need the blank aswell as the new ones have two sensor holes so one part fits all models . cost saving . will come with a new seal aswell and have your self pleanty of coolant to top up and bleed system .

sorry if that has been mentioned / you have solved the leak !

just read it all again and seen someone had said the above but as ive typed it now it can stay  :whistle:
« Last Edit: 13 November 2012, 23:02 by spudboy6 »

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 14 November 2012, 08:53 »
I have replaced that part, it was the first thing I did, however that just exposed a weakness in other parts of the system. Replaced the flange on the side of the head too, and still have a leak. I have a new expansion tank and cap to fit tomorrow so we will see how that fairs.

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 14 November 2012, 13:21 »
Wahey located another leak! Seems to be from the left hand side of the engine, beneath  the alternator, so guessing waterpump or possibly thermostat housing? Didn't get a proper look and won't do til the weekend. Need to get this sorted though as it's costing me a fortune in antifreeze!

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 14 November 2012, 14:05 »
Probably leaking between the waterpump and block.

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 14 November 2012, 15:49 »
Probably leaking between the waterpump and block.

I'm hoping its just the thermostat housing but I will take a closer look tomorrow!