Author Topic: First GTI, need some quick tips  (Read 4580 times)

Offline cipherx7

• Just got here
First GTI, need some quick tips
« on: 23 June 2012, 21:17 »
Hello,

I recently bought an MK3 GTI and I was looking for some advice. The car didn't come with a manual.

It's a 2.0 non-turbo and it has some 220KM on it so I'd like to extend the life of the car for as long as possible.

1. Should I use 94 octane? I know it's a non-turbo but I was thinking the cleaner fuel would keep the engine healthy longer.
2. What kind of oil should I use when I give it an oil change?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't care for a few extra bucks here and there if it means I get another few months or years with my new chum.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Offline Bandit127

• Here all the time
Re: First GTI, need some quick tips
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2012, 21:30 »
Hi and welcome to your new GTI and this very good forum.

1. This forum is based in the UK and our ordinary petrol is 95 octane. We have a more expensive petrol too. That is 98 octane and has additives that help clean the valves. I don't know about the car you have and the petrol it was designed for - look in the manual for this. In the UK the expensive petrol has the additives that keep you valves clean - this would help your engine to keep on running well. My 2.0 8V runs fine on 95 octane.

2. The best oil you can use will be a fully synthetic 5-40 or 10-40. 5-40 will be better if you drive short journeys. Change it often and change the filter too.

If you have the AGG engine with the 020 gearbox then change the oil in that too. They are not very reliable and good oil will help to make it last longer.

Good luck with it.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2012, 22:06 »
All 2.0 engines in the Golf are designed to run on 95 RON - they have a knock sensor and can run on 91 but that will reduce power and increase fuel consumption.

As for oil, 5w40 is probably best, personally I don't much like 10w40 but if you are in a moderate climate it's OK.
If you're where winter get down far below freezing (-20°C) I would even recommend 0w40 - the engine in my previous car (1994 2.0 "2E") was still running well at 380.000 km :) and only used about 1/4l / 1000km oil. Just the rest of the car was not too well in shape anymore.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline cipherx7

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2012, 22:24 »
thanks guys, Good to know that my 94 Octane spending hasn't been in vain.
I live in Vancouver BC so the weather teeters between -5 to 15 year round. It may dip to -15 for a few days but other than that it's pretty moderate.

I wish I had the original manual. The previous owner lost it  :undecided:

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2012, 00:26 »
Why didn't you say you were in Canada? You got different octane ratings than Europe buddy.

Our 95 is your ~91 - our 98 is your ~94.... your GTI can utilise only little from AKI94, it won't do it any harm but you won't have much - if any - increase in performance (might move ignition forward) or fuel economy (94 usually contains a tiny bit less energy than 91 - as it contains more octance boosters like MTBE or ETBE), hence in total you will not really see any change.

If I do get around to it I may be able to scan a few essential pages of the VW owners manual for you but that won't be this week, send me a PM thou and I can send you some stuff to your email.

Offline cipherx7

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2012, 06:01 »
that would be very kind of you, i can't seem to find PM button and I gotta run off so whenever you have the time to, send me a message and I'll give you my email for that.
No rush though, take your time.

On another note, I really don't care for increased HP or any of that, I'm not looking to race this thing, but if it means more fuel economy or a longer lasting engine then I'm all for it.
Now I have to take the time to figure out if I can confidently change the oil filter and oil on this thing by myself or if I have to take it to a shop.

Also, today when I was driving I looked down and noticed that none of my gauges were working, gas, rpm, speed, heat. I tapped the glass cover and they all woke up suddenly. Is this an omen of electrical issues to come? and how much would that cost to fix?

Thanks again guys

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2012, 10:42 »
Not sure 94 compared to 91 will do much for the engine but it doesn't hurt. Running through injector cleaner every 3 months probably has the same effect. I personally use 99.9% iso propyl alcohol as an additive every once a while (plus premium is not available where I usually drive to work).

Oil and filter are easy to change on mk3 gti's. Actually you don't even need to jack it up if you got a flat drain container (I use a 6 liter drain container that's only 10-12cm high. With a well WARM engine, just turn you steering wheel fully to the right and you can reach the drain plug (use a 19mm SOCKET to undo, does save you from ruining the head with a spanner). Just loosen with the socket, then slowly undo by hand, but keep pressing it into the thread, once you feel it is undone then take the screw out in a fast move, so the oil misses you and goes only into the container.
Just leave to bleed out. Oil filter is easy then, can be undone by hand (unless an idiot tightened it up too much and hasn't used any oil or grease on the seal, then you need a tri-clamp thing). Once the old filer is off make sure the gasket does not stick on the block and mop up leaking oil around the filter flange, apply high temp grease or otherwise engine oil to the seal and screw new filter on.

The replace the copper ring on the oil sump plug (14x20x1.5mm) and replace the plug, don't overtighten the screw. Then fill in 3.5 liters, start engine and allow for the oil warning light to go off - this should take no longer than 15 seconds, otherwise shut it down! Then wait a minute and check level on dipstick and top up to just below max. Then run engine again and check for any leaks around the oil drain plug and the filter.

Easy job and you're done in half an hour.

Your speedo not working is most likely a bad contact or soldering in the speedo, (does the mileage and clock work?). Just take it out and try if unplugging and plugging it back in again helps. It's easy - if you have an adjustable steering wheel column just put it on the very bottom position, otherwise remove the column cover (two Philipshead screws at it's bottom) then only the light switch and a plastic trim next the the speedo at left an right need to come out. Trim just unclips, light switch needs to be removed by inserting a long tool (feeler gauge could work) and move it to the left or right... there is a pin inside that unlocks it temporarily so keep it in place, then pull light switch out. It doesnt need to be unplugged but if you do its not a big thing to put connector back in.
You'll then see the philips screws, take them out and remove the dash frame. Then next to speedo are two more philips screws, take them out, lift the speedo and undo one or in CA probably two connectors. Then you can take it out....
If plugging it in again doesn't solve it let me know, then it's something else at fault (maybe cold solders on the board or a blown voltage regulator). All things that can be fixed with not too much effort.
:)

Cheers
M

Offline beckie_deeuk

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 30 July 2012, 14:06 »
iv recently bought a Mk4 GTI, guy at motoserv sold me 5w 30 oil - recommended it was the best oil blah blah... went again today and another bloke sold me 5w 40...

i wasnt happy as cant understand why the bloke gave me the wrong oil in the first place. will it mess up the car??

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2012, 21:07 »
Wrong forum but can answer anyway...

IF your car is a petrol:
How often will you change oil, if once a year or every 10k miles then any oil that has VW502.00 spec can be used. If that 5w30, 5w40, 0w40 and for even some 10w40 (although not many will have that VW 502.00 spec!) can be used.

If you are on long life (which is actually shortening you car's life) then you need VW 504.00 spec oil, this is always 5w30, but again not all 5w30 have VW 504.00 spec (the same way all thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs - to borrow a child's metaphor).

IF your car is a diesel:
505.00: most VW engines can use this - with the exclusion of TDI PD engines and new ones with particulate filters
505.01: for VW PD TDI engines, but can be used for allmost all other VW diesels as well; those are most commonly 5w40 but there are also 5w30 (like Titan GT1 pro flex XTL 5w30).
So if you have a diesel and don't know if it is a PD TDI play it safe and get VW 505.01 oil!
This is unless you have longlife then you can use VW 507.00 - this is only in 5w30 - this is also the one that you need to use if you have a particulate filter (although the above mentioned Titan GT1 pro flex 5w30 can also be used on those as it has very little ash)

If you're only topping up you can change viscosity as long as VW spec required is fulfilled, this the one needed is also in your owner's manual.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2012, 11:59 »
thanks guys, Good to know that my 94 Octane spending hasn't been in vain.
I live in Vancouver BC so the weather teeters between -5 to 15 year round. It may dip to -15 for a few days but other than that it's pretty moderate.

I wish I had the original manual. The previous owner lost it  :undecided:

I love Vancouver, such an awesome city :cool:

With regards to your speedo problem, I'd take the dials out and check the connection to make sure it's not loose. You can follow the first part of this guide to remove them, it's a pretty easy job:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=181457.0