Author Topic: Strange problem with Mk3 Gti  (Read 7039 times)

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
Re: Strange problem with Mk3 Gti
« Reply #30 on: 23 August 2011, 20:58 »
ah good result still check on vag com and see if theres any codes stored which could be underlying problems sometimes all it takes is disconnecting the battery for 12hrs or something that resets the ecu  :smiley: as to your question about sorting bodywork interior etc depends on what you want out of the car if its a keeper then spend some time renewing and keeping it look smart i always tend to go for outside apperence first then work on the interior and engine bay after although this car has worked out different  :laugh:

Offline kekster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 23 August 2011, 21:30 »
Yeah I thought I would start on the outside, I don't like the white lenses on the indicators on the front for starters. It has a couple of small patches of rust but overall the paintwork is very good for 15 yrs old, sunroof rubbers could do with sorting as they are cocvered in what looks like moss  :undecided:

Do you know of a good way to get the black back to black if you know what I mean. Is it worth getting alloys refurbed or is it cheaper to get a new set as mine have been badly kerbed ?

When I took it out for a run the clutch seemed to be sticking just when it bites, does this seem like it could be serious or maybe just needs a bit of lube?

Do you have a paypal account if I decide I want the kenwood ?

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #32 on: 23 August 2011, 21:47 »

rust on wings etc can be changed for others from someone else i had to do the ones on my current daily not a big issue  :smiley:

There are various ways of getting the black gti trim back to black either use back to black from somewhere like halfords or motorworld or even tesco but this generally only lasts about 3-4 weeks and is sticky however for a quick job its fine  :smiley: other products are autoglym bumper care which is pretty good also by a bottle of boiled linseed oil and rub it on then rub it down with a clean cloth after a while this is used by lots of people and lasts anywhere from 3-6 months but it does smell in the heat  :laugh:

Clutch is hard to say, It could be the clutch itself or the cable as there self adjusting on most best thing to do is to replace the cable about 15-20 quid and like you say wd40 everything on the box side of things.

To get alloys refurbed is around £35-£50 a wheel for sandblasting and painting so inless you like them enough to justify spending circa 170 on them i'd try find a better set online with decent tyres or without and swap your tyres over. Are yours the 15" longbeaches ? i refurbed mine myself and put them back on this weekend so im now running them black standard for the winter as i had a blow out on the white wheels on sat night  :angry:

Yes i have a paypal account mate no worries i will chuck in the plastics either side if you choose to have it i'l pm you some pics tomo/thurs  :smiley:

Offline kekster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #33 on: 23 August 2011, 21:59 »
Yeah they are but I fancy something bigger, did it take much doing the refurbing yourself ?

Glad to hear the blowout wasn't too serious, was it front or back ?

I have tried some vinyl stuff on the black but it is very patchy.

I did get one code up...front left abs but no light on dash, maybe bulb is shot or not even there !!!

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #34 on: 24 August 2011, 11:55 »
Dosn't take to long really give yourself a day to prep and paint starting with to wheels get some scotch brite pad and rub the alloys down till it loses its colour and smooth you can also use some wet and dry sandpaper for a super fine finish  :smiley: Then using primer white if your going white or grey for darker colours i did 2 coats and then 3 coats of paint followed by 2 coats of laquer job done  :smiley: If the edges of the wheels are kerbed gently file them down flat which once painted is hardly noticeable.

Blow out was on the front but luckily near my girlfriends house so i just coasted it back to hers and changed the spare over  :cry:

Most likely the bulb isn't there there often taken out of these cars  :laugh:

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 24 August 2011, 19:22 »
To add to the above, if you take the alloy back to bare metal, use etch primer before normal primer or it wont stick properly. It will still cost you probably £60 or more to do all 4 wheels properly. Various wet n dry, 400, 800, 1200 grade, 2 tins of etch primer, 3 (large) tins normal primer, 5/6tins base coat, 2/3 tins of lacquer. Also if your gonna do it properly if you have bad curbing, liquid metal.
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |