Author Topic: Engine "Cleaners"  (Read 5300 times)

Offline zdebx

• I live here
Engine "Cleaners"
« on: 14 January 2010, 18:36 »
Instead of removing the throttle body/pipework for cleaning, can't use you simply use one of those engine cleaners? Get them for like £5-10, mix with fuel and drive?

Are they any good?
My Golf mk3 1.8 SE is FOR SALE - Jetex exhaust + Jamex coilies & More...Only £550! More info here > http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=161711.0

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: Engine "Cleaners"
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2010, 19:28 »
the cleaner I use is redex but that only leans fuel tank, lines, injectors, valves, chambers and ports, the throttle body needs cleaning by hand with some carb cleaner and the same with the breather pipes.

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2010, 19:52 »
the cleaner I use is redex but that only leans fuel tank, lines, injectors, valves, chambers and ports, the throttle body needs cleaning by hand with some carb cleaner and the same with the breather pipes.

Ok, thanks :) So Redex is alright? Never heard of it, and found some Texaco cleaner, wanted to buy that instead.
My Golf mk3 1.8 SE is FOR SALE - Jetex exhaust + Jamex coilies & More...Only £550! More info here > http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=161711.0

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2010, 19:55 »
Cleaning the throttle body is not a hard job. I did mine and used WD40 as I had no carb cleaner. Easy enough to do Mate

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2010, 20:12 »
Cleaning the throttle body is not a hard job. I did mine and used WD40 as I had no carb cleaner. Easy enough to do Mate

I'm not worried about cleaning, I'm not sure about taking it out and putting it back lol  :grin:

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2010, 20:16 »
Not too sure if your engine is the same but the GTi has the main air pipe which is simple to remove, another smaller pipe on top, four allen key screws holding it on then two pipes underneath. As easy as that....I had never done it and took mine off in the dark and even got the missus to hold the torch when I replaced it. Takes two hours max from start to finish. Give it a go Mate makes the world of difference.

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2010, 20:21 »
This is same as mine:

I can easily remove the air pipe, then I can see the top right pipe, you mentioned, and 2 more underneath. Looks simple. Is that it? May give it a go on the weekend.

P.S. ignore the arrow, it came with the pic lol
« Last Edit: 14 January 2010, 20:26 by zdebx »

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2010, 20:25 »
It is well worth it Mate     will feel like a different car in the end.     Good Luck

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2010, 20:34 »
takes about 2 minutes to remove the throttle body. What I do is remove the air pipe (no need for the water pipes cos Ive removed mine anyway, bypassed the throttle body) so the butterfly is on show, then I spray carb cleaner all over it, with a toothbrush I brush it away and get all the bits I can reach. Then I turn the car on and holding carb cleaner in one hand and the throttle wheel thingy in the other I turn it so he car revs up, as it starts revving I spray a jet of carb cleaner in there, I rev it quite high, about 4000rpm and hold it there while I spray inside...As I spray the revs drop, so I stop spraying just before the car dies...This cleans the intake manifold well, I do this for 3 or 4 minutes and let the car idle for a minute or two afterwards, then I take it for a spin to clean everything up inside, runs smooth and so great!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2010, 21:34 »
your throttle body is under the round part with vw on it.