Author Topic: Anyone know why this would be done?.  (Read 2864 times)

Offline R3p

• Not said much yet
Anyone know why this would be done?.
« on: 11 January 2010, 22:31 »
Hi all :)

Just brought this golf and being a bit off a nub when it comes to car engines, could anyone tell me why this blue pipe would have a screw in the end or what this pipe does/should be doing?. Thanks in advance of any info.

Offline Sirminty

• Not said much yet
  • '96 16v GTI, on the lonely south coast
Re: Anyone know why this would be done?.
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2010, 13:32 »
Hello,
Where does the pipe originate from??

Offline axewielder

• I live here
  • 95 dragon 8v
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2010, 13:49 »
vacuum hose off TB should be fine if its not leaking vacuum, post up ure car spec as it might be suposed to be connected to something?

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2010, 13:50 »
That is the pipe that releases the excess fumes from the carbon cannister to the throttle body. The carbon cannister should be located on the inner wing by your MAF sensor and should really be connected. Short term it would be ok but could affect your fuel comsumption and could damage long term. Check this link:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=135897.0

Hope this helps     Deano

Offline R3p

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2010, 21:17 »
Hi all

Thank you so much for your quick replys, will have a look when back from service. Only brought 3 days ago so put in for service to be safe but will try find this sensor it should be connected too. By the way any ideas on what a MAF sensor looks like? hehe sorry :)

Thanks in advance of any info.

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2010, 12:03 »
Hi Mate      The carbon cannister is not a sensor just located near the MAF sensor. If you click on the link I posted in my earlier reply there will be a picture on the first page and I have circled the carbon cannister in white (towards the left hand side of the picture). The MAF sensor is the black block screwed onto the air intake pipe but you should not need this for your problem.      Cheers     Deano

Offline R3p

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2010, 22:02 »
Thanks for all the help guys :)

Just a note that pic was off a 8v, mine is 16v. Looking thru that wonderful ABF manual posted on this forum i see there is two pipes coming off there, one is for the carbon thingy and it appears the one disconnected on mine is the vacuum pipe thats ment to run to the stock airbox that isnt there anymore. Has a cone fillter installed.

Does it matter if its left disconnected as ofc now i have nowere to connect it too?

Thanks in advance of any help

Offline R3p

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2010, 01:01 »
Out of curiosity, what do people do with the vacuum pipe when fitting a cone/induction kit on?

Thanks in advance of any info

Offline aminorthreat1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2010, 17:48 »
heres a pic of an ABF engine with the pipe connected, mine was jammed with a screw when i got it. then i bought a better induction kit with somewhere to re connect the pipe. i'll eventually replace it with a modded air box tho.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/abf%20golf/H8SV8S/1977%20Mk1%20Restoration/100_2300.jpg

Offline R3p

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2010, 18:21 »
Thank you for that :)

much help, maybe ill look in to getting an original airbox and ninjaing your idea

Thanks again