Author Topic: stalling getting worse,crank sensor/immobiliser?  (Read 4451 times)

Offline flexiblefish98

• Here all the time
Re: stalling getting worse,crank sensor/immobiliser?
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2010, 19:29 »
I've been having usual problem recently, oil light flash, rev's drop dies.
I replaced fuel relay 167 and ECU/hall relay30 which made no dirfference.

Basically after driving the car for a while (maybe 10mins...don't know if maybe when engine reaches certain temp) it just stalls and does it irratically after that.

Today it stalled 6times in the last mile of my drive home, twice at traffic lights and took an age to start again each time (although started straight away first time). It's now become unbearable to drive!!!!!!

I just noticed that i have been using the spare VW key i got with the car and not the key with the button the previous owner had been using (button seems defunct but haven't check battery in it yet). Could this be having any bearing on immobiliser (I'm assuming a 95 GTi has one fitted as standard??)
I'm clutching at straws here I know, but have ordered a new crank sensor which is my next port of call to try and sort the beast  :cry:

many thanks in advance guys
Hi there,
I have exactly the same issue with my 95 8valve.
I am going to try ecu 30 relay and 167 fuel pump relay first.
Have looked a couple of times at the 'cutting out' thread (36 pages) which has loads of info.
Other possibilities I am going to look at are Crank position sensor, Hall sensor (change Dizzy) or loose wiring/poor connections on plugs and loom between sensors. Last suggestion would be that if the cutting out is pretty regular get it plugged into a VAG com and wait for it to cut out and see what codes it throws!
Please post if you find solution as really can't afford to fault chase myself!
Good luck to you :smiley:

Offline tomcat

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 06 February 2010, 19:38 »
Hi Guys
I need to order a crankcase sensor, the car won't start at all unless I fiddle with the crankcase sensor with a screwdriver.
Is this part ok? I know someone else on here has asked already but i need to order one ASAP.
my car is a 98 8v AGG code. :sad:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=370198703655&Category=100918&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

Cheers people
Tom

Offline cuzza

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 08 February 2010, 09:00 »
Can't reply to your PM for some reason Tom?
I havent fitted the sensor on my car as yet as it stalled a couple of times but hasn't done it since.
I was just checking it yesterday and the part looks the same and someone else on here confirmed it should be OK so I would go for it. It has a 12 month guaranteee anyway.
Let us know how you get on!

Offline zdebx

• I live here
My Golf mk3 1.8 SE is FOR SALE - Jetex exhaust + Jamex coilies & More...Only £550! More info here > http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=161711.0

Offline flexiblefish98

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 09 February 2010, 21:18 »
That's a Lambda sensor/probe that deals with fueling not crank position sensor!

Offline zdebx

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 09 February 2010, 22:56 »
That's a Lambda sensor/probe that deals with fueling not crank position sensor!

Ah crap, I always confuse them two  :shocked:
My Golf mk3 1.8 SE is FOR SALE - Jetex exhaust + Jamex coilies & More...Only £550! More info here > http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=161711.0

Offline flexiblefish98

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 10 February 2010, 20:16 »
Easy mistake :wink: