Author Topic: MK2 Golf ABF conversion...keeping 4 stud wheels?  (Read 7075 times)

Offline dean24722

• Just got here
MK2 Golf ABF conversion...keeping 4 stud wheels?
« on: 05 June 2019, 14:26 »
I am about to do the classic ABF conversion. i have a mk2 golf 1989 1.6 driver and and 97 mk3 gti. my plan is to use the sub frame and bigger brakes the norm...

so basically I really want to keep the wheels 4 stud, is there a way to do this as the mk3 hubs will be 5 stud, can i press in the 4 stud carrier or not that simple?

is it easier just to pick another brake/hub set up? if so what would you recommend?

anyone been in the same situation? I think the 4 stud wheels are nicer and go with look I am going for.

i mean i got the mk3 for £300 so I have done pretty well. considering the VW tax on ABF engines these days.

thanks for any help

Offline Simeon

• I live here
Re: MK2 Golf ABF conversion...keeping 4 stud wheels?
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2019, 10:27 »
Yeah you'll need Mk2 Golf 16v (or equivalent) hubs then you can use 256mm / 280mm brakes from 16v Gti / G60 respectively. If you Google it this has been discussed to death re which cars you can get these parts from.

You will need to keep it narrow track for this too, so you can use the Mk3 subframe but you can't use the Mk3 wishbones. Re-use your Mk2 wishbones, just replace the rear bushes with Audi TT solid rubber ones, much better than Poly ones. You will also need to use your Mk2 driveshafts as the Mk3 ones will be too long. If your 1.6 has a 4+e gearbox I'd use that too, get a lightened 210mm flywheel and a Sachs clutch and it'll be spot on and decent cruising revs. Rod change mechanism with new bushes is much better than the Mk3 cable set up plus you don't need to do a hydraulic clutch conversion so makes it all easier.

Chuck on some coilovers and uprated anti-roll-bars and it'll be a proper little machine, I've had a couple and it is a great conversion.