Author Topic: Dealer Used Stock  (Read 2219 times)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
Dealer Used Stock
« on: 15 January 2019, 16:31 »
My local dealer prides themselves in always carrying a decent volume of used performance golfs.
 So typically over the last 3 years you would usually find sitting there for sale:
4 GTIs
5Rs
8 GTDs
Sometimes considerably more but reliably in that ratio.
I dropped in today to see if they had any unregistered stock or demos.
“No, they have no new stock and used stock is 2Rs and 2GTDs. No GTIs.
They have sold 3 used GTIs very recently and are now trying to source some used stock.”
I’ve never seen this before.
Interesting times for owners.....
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Dealer Used Stock
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2019, 16:38 »
200+ GTI variants... Mk7/7.5 on Das Welt Auto...

Probably the same as usual.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2019, 16:50 »
Ah, so might be a dealer issue!
They usually at least have a demo and a showroom car so maybe they got caught out.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2019, 17:49 »
They could well have their working capital tied up in other run of the mill cars that they do well with. There are times when lots of ex rental cars come into the trade at very good prices, so dealers snap them up if they know they can shift them quickly.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2019, 08:55 »
Went for nosey round my local recently refurbed JCT600. No GTI, no R and no GTD is the showroom. An UP! GTI was about the only 'sporty' VW in there.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2019, 09:03 »
Doesn't surprise me with new stock Jim.... remember the great 2018 WLTP drought... they won't have replaced their showroom stock yet I'd guess...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2019, 09:13 »
When I first started looking for a Golf in April/May last year there were a few around to choose from, but nothing with any decent spec. Due to this I placed an order for a new one at the start of the summer thinking I would continue to look for used in-case something came up. The delays on mine started and when I cancelled my order I threw myself into the used market significantly all the way through to December.

As the time went on it became abundantly clear that all that was hitting the used market was ex-VW cars being sent to dealers from their fleet (these cars are easily identifiable by the KX (or other K* prefixed number plates)), or ex dealer demos for silly prices. In December when I had lost all hope of finding one, I had visited several dealers and they all told me the same story, they are simply very rare and in short supply because WLTP delays meant people were hanging onto their cars and nothing was going through the networks.

I count myself very lucky that my new car arrived unexpectedly when it did, else I'd still be sat here now without a car.

Having had a look at the market again this morning (before writing this), I can see stock has dried up even further, all the cars I looked at have gone, and the same uni-old cars are still for sale (mainly low spec, red or white) on the AUC locator, and some of the high spec silly price ex-demo cars have also gone. There's very little been added to the search results.

If you're fussy about what you want, and are in the used market, there really is very little too choose from. What I'm also seeing is the discount being offered off new is also creeping down from the 15%+ from last year, it's already at circa 10%.

:)
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2019, 12:41 »
So, Fred,I may be right about the drought after all.....

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2019, 13:25 »
There’s definitely a drought and dubber36 has it pretty spot on.

WLTP delays keeping turnover low at retail level will have even bigger impact for the fleet and hire companies.
Dealers snap up ex-VW UK fleet in closed auctions but also buy in from the leasing and rental companies, the latter are a big provider of very recently registered low mileage cars to the used forecourts.
There’s just so little coming through the system due to WLTP and general winter slow down in the trade.

I’ve had a few emails from dealer groups who are actively looking for used stock at a time of year when they’d really not want too much cluttering up the forecourts traditionally. The lack of new cars being delivered means there’s good demand for recent low mileage cars.

The flip-side being prices of used cars holding firm over winter when normally they’d drop off significantly.

I agree with kmpowell too in that discounts are dropping to around 10% now.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2019, 17:39 »
When looking for mine late October there must have been 3 in the whole network I was interested in, it was slim pickings.

I got lucky by sitting it out in the day before quarter end with a stupid offer and cash. ex VW UK car.

Looking now, I see far fewer and most of them the dregs of what where up when I was looking.
'18 245PP DSG