Author Topic: Newbie Q...  (Read 2631 times)

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
Newbie Q...
« on: 24 November 2018, 15:34 »
A short while ago I washed my Gti for the first time myself following some of the (excellent) guides and product recommendations on here.

I've just got back from a 2 months trip so the car is looking pretty grubby after being sat on the driveway for all that time.

I don't have the time (and it isn't really the weather) for doing another complete detail  - am I right in thinking that if I give it a rinse down to get rid of dirt, bird crap etc etc then I won't be stripping any of the wax that I applied? Can I shampoo it without stripping the wax? How about using spot-detailler?

Any advice very welcome,

Thanks,

Greig
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Newbie Q...
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2018, 18:35 »
It'll be fine, just wash it! Use your shampoo at the ratio to water stated. If you've got a jet washer then get as much of the crud off before touching the paint yourself. Use a snowfoam to loosen things off. I usually find after that there's usually not much left to wash off. Your wax may or not need a top up to last the winter, depends on what you've used. No harm in an extra layer or use a quick detailer to give the paint an extra shine but qd will be spent by the next wash. So in summary, get as much off touchless, wax should be fine and don't forget to post a couple of pictures especially since yours is in the best colour :wink:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2018, 11:23 »
Thanks Watts, appreciate you taking the time to answer my daft questions!

Must agree - I really do love the colour!
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2018, 13:00 »
Thanks Watts, appreciate you taking the time to answer my daft questions!

Must agree - I really do love the colour!

No problem :smiley: TR is such a warm glowing colour, cheers me up everytime I see it!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.