Author Topic: Ex Car Magazine Long Termer  (Read 3559 times)

Offline El_KoS

• Just got here
Ex Car Magazine Long Termer
« on: 28 September 2018, 23:01 »
Evening All,

I m coming back into the fold after 4 years with Audi, I m looking to get back into a 14 plate GTI PP. Found a great spec one for decent price. Put a holding deposit down.

Whilst doing the obligatory confirmatory perusal of reviews, I came across a familiar looking wagon in Car Magazine. It’s the one they ran for 12 months (https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/long-term-tests/volkswagen/vw-golf-gti-2015-long-term-test-review-of-mk7-gti/?gallery-index=0&_gl=1*137ui8p*_ga*YW1wLUR4ZVR0ZHExOXJRZTJiSTNjZEFhNzVYTGtqN1MwUC1Ic0ZQWnhTbTc5T1NveFVuZ2Njd2xVQzdlNi1iUUZVSGw.) . It’s none other than the one I m looking to buy. She’s got 47k on the clock and seems in good nick.

Would this bother you? Should I be wary of this car? Apart from the bump in the rear bumper, I m presuming these cars are fairly well looked after and therefore nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks

« Last Edit: 28 September 2018, 23:03 by El_KoS »

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Re: Ex Car Magazine Long Termer
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2018, 00:12 »
As long as it's been well looked after and has full service history then I wouldn't worry.

Offline DaveScoot

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2018, 21:11 »
I would 100% not buy that car. It will have been abused by many drivers.

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2018, 22:30 »

Same here. Although I don’t read the magazine, I suspect they push the cars pretty hard and track them regularly.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline Duke Dickson

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2018, 00:20 »

Same here. Although I don’t read the magazine, I suspect they push the cars pretty hard and track them regularly.

However, it would also likely have seen a higher than normal level of care and attention, at least at some point. However much the magazines like to protest otherwise sometimes, I'm fairly certain that the manufacturers have a reasonable idea of where the press fleet might crop up.

There is, of course, the debate of tough, but fair, love Vs one or two on the face of it 'careful' (but in reality dreadful) private owners. Hard life at the hands of people who have some idea or maybe a different hard life from someone who has little?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2018, 16:14 »
I once owned an ex-VW Press Fleet 2006 Polo GTI 1.8t.
It was still under factory warranty mind you so I had little concern about the mechanicals.
However the car was faultless (aside from giving me back ache).
Admittedly it was the uglier 5 door so wasn’t deemed sexy enough to feature in car magazine performance testing or road tests but I’m sure it had an interesting run in period!  :laugh:

It would be easy enough to email the journalist who ran it as a long termer to ask what sort of life it led.
Some long term cars are used for camera cars in action and track shots and some are just daily drivers for journos when they don’t have another road test car.
The versatility of a Golf GTI means it could be used for all sorts of jobs.

At least any early life faults will be documented unlike an ex lease vehicle which would have possibly had a similar start to life on the road. There are plenty of badly driven and uncared for privately owned cars around too.

Go with your gut feeling depending on the car’s general condition and how it drives after an extended run.
Compare it with a newer car and if it feels tired then walk away.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 October 2018, 16:26 »
I don't think it would be a big issue as will get everything done properly whilst in their care. But that was back in 2015 so if it's done 47k then obviously someone else has owned and driven it as well for the last 3 years and 35k miles?
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 03 October 2018, 16:33 »
I don't think it would be a big issue as will get everything done properly whilst in their care. But that was back in 2015 so if it's done 47k then obviously someone else has owned and driven it as well for the last 3 years and 35k miles?

My thinking too
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline El_KoS

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2018, 22:48 »
Thank you all for responses and thoughts. I went along with advice of “sold as seen”, and it was in good condition, aside from the wheels which had some scuffing. As it was through a BMW dealer they were keen to shift it and have refurbed the wheels as part of the deal. Arrives on Sunday...the we will see what all this MK7 GTI fuss is about...

Had an Edition 35 up until late 2014, then went Audi to experience Quattro &  V8, now back to the 4 pot and although a very different machine, I m actually very excited about its arrival.

This place is certainly a fountain of knowledge - thanks all.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2018, 14:03 »
Thank you all for responses and thoughts. I went along with advice of “sold as seen”, and it was in good condition, aside from the wheels which had some scuffing. As it was through a BMW dealer they were keen to shift it and have refurbed the wheels as part of the deal. Arrives on Sunday...the we will see what all this MK7 GTI fuss is about...

Had an Edition 35 up until late 2014, then went Audi to experience Quattro &  V8, now back to the 4 pot and although a very different machine, I m actually very excited about its arrival.

This place is certainly a fountain of knowledge - thanks all.

Don’t forget photos  :cool: oh, and well done!
What was the Audi like?

The mk7 GTI drives quite differently to an Ed35, a much more flexible engine and lighter on its feet in some ways. Yet it’ll still have a familiar feel. You won’t be disappointed.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner