Author Topic: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?  (Read 245522 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: 2018 Golf TCR and dealer information ?
« Reply #650 on: 21 May 2019, 20:46 »
Looks great! You are right about the rear diffuser, looks massive and gloss black it will be almost impossible not get some scratches on it. PPF is a good idea!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #651 on: 21 May 2019, 21:30 »
Looking forward to seeing some pics of the CSS and TCR together!

Comparing the two, the rear diffuser is a lot more aggressive on the TCR but the rear spoiler is quite small, looks not dissimilar to the GTI PP with a gurney flap added. I'll do some comparison shots but you can see from the picture below. Front is similar to the CSS, just the central area which appears to be different from a styling point of view.

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #652 on: 21 May 2019, 21:40 »
Looks great! You are right about the rear diffuser, looks massive and gloss black it will be almost impossible not get some scratches on it. PPF is a good idea!

I just did this snap on my iPhone so the angle is broadly similar but it shows the difference in the rear of the CSS and TCR. I suspect there won't be a cutting pattern for the PPF in Xpel yet.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #653 on: 21 May 2019, 21:45 »
Looks great AGB! Can't wait to see the post-detail pics.

You mean you don't like the tape and protective covers? I'm offended!  :grin: :cry: :grin: :grin:

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #654 on: 21 May 2019, 21:47 »
That looks rubbish. You must gutted. 😜

I know. I came on the forum for some consolation after having made such an error in judgement.  :grin:

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #655 on: 22 May 2019, 06:05 »
That looks rubbish. You must gutted. 😜

I know. I came on the forum for some consolation after having made such an error in judgement.  :grin:

Ha ha! The car looks absolutely amazing. Really pleased for you. See what you mean about the rear diffuser. Definitely needs to kind of protection. A wise investment.

Good to see a close up photo of the spoiler lip. I’m still struggling to get hold of one. Do you think it’s too subtle?
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #656 on: 22 May 2019, 07:49 »

One of reasons looked past the A35 AMG was that moving from MK 7 there would be the MK 7.5 lifts and items taken to standard and with the red accents and trimming there be a little more lustre, even if not markedly.

Previous to my R was the GTD as at that time was doing relatively substantial mileage and definitely all the car you will ever need, as ticked every box, as performance was not actually that shabby, and obviously if doing the long runs mileage was 50 MPG readily, though in my last year as mileage dropped so did the economy as it was more 38 MPG on same demographic of driving doing now (R is about 28-30 MPG)

The engine was heavier in the GTD (or so I read) and so the GTI TCR should be much lighter in feel and with the BHP being near my R, can testify it will cover the ground much quicker, with its dry starts being recorded at 5.3 seconds on video seen, quicker than a CS I think?

My GTD really suffered with the first set of tyres, as they wore the getaway became shocking, but as soon as swapped them out that experience was transformed and given these come with P Zero traction should be pretty good.

I agree with Mercedes, the A45 was a bit too current Honda Civic with that wing and I think the A35 isn't worth it relative to the TCR or R. I was behind one on the M1 yesterday and the styling is a bit meah. I don't know if you have better luck than me but I have gone into a Mercedes dealer 3 times about 3 different cars and the experience has been abysmal. I was looking at an SLS on one occasion and I was referred to the dealership in Chelsea - Cheyne Walk I think. They were very willing to do a test drive but the salesman said that we'd likely not get out of first gear. I asked if we could arrange something at Brooklands, even offering to pay and have it credited against a purchase. 'That'll be difficult, sir' was the reply.

I have some pictures that I shot the other day pre-detail and I'll upload them this evening - they show the difference between the CSS and TCR. Maybe more interesting than the standard beauty shots on the Internet.

My Mercedes experience was being completely ignored on my first visit, avoided even as suspect I was in my coaching gear (it was an impromptu drop in on way back from a game) and so I was obviously being seen as someone walking in off the street who has no right to purchase a Mercedes (that was the feeling anyway)

Second time I walked in all suited and booted having just come back from a work day in London and yes you guessed it, was fending them off!

As discussion started it soon became obvious that I knew far more about the A35 AMG than him and even embarrassingly so really as even some of the basics the gentleman was struggling on - He sort of had the attitude of look at it, it sales itself so why would you want to know about all this other stuff.

Fortunately I made the decision that this A35 AMG is not for me this time around and to let others be the early adopters and maybe next time around have a look at A35 again as think its a decent entrance by Mercedes to this sector - Says a lot about the MK 7 series that even at 6 years its still beating out a brand new model which is another reason stayed with the MK 7 as its the evolved and complete version and with the TCR at its best on the run out model.

In terms of dealer experience, had a similar experience at another local Audi, but the other Audi in my proximity have some really decent folk in there and its a good place to walk into - My local VW dealer is also decent, always found them very polite and helpful and the young lad talked to made extra effort to take me into the rear pound to see the black TCR took photos of recently and knew a reasonable amount about it given its quite new - Think he learnt a little more from me given you have to go into the details before make the purchase.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #657 on: 22 May 2019, 08:03 »
I thought this thread needed a few more pictures. I took these before the car went off to the detailer but it really needs a proper clean. Also having our drive graded and resurfaced properly after the developer's incompetent attempts so feel a sense of achievement in having missed the earth moving equipment from the shots! The paint had the surface texture of sandpaper after shipping and production, I think the matt mirrors were smoother than the paint.

Dealer did as I asked and left the car entirely sealed including the roof and bonnet covers. I checked the car with a Scangrip inspection lamp and it's in pretty good condition. Orange peel all over it as I have come to expect from VW (particularly on C pillar) and there are a couple of sanding marks and a few light swirls which could be from the protective covers rubbing on corners. Minor work with an orbital polisher and actually a good colour to work on - hides the dirt well but enough contrast to work on unlike white which washes out with hot spots and makes it hard to inspect with directional inspection lights.

Given how pronounced the rear diffuser is, I'm thinking of putting some PPF on to it as it's going to suck up muck and be a nightmare to keep scratch free without a level of polishing and care that life is too short for.

Only initial impressions of the car (while keeping the revs down) is that the steering is very light. The exhaust doesn't have the crackle and pops of the CSS and sounds quite muted. Whether it'll bed in and become a bit more throaty remains to be seen but I've run it through all modes including sport. I'll post some pictures of the CSS and TCR together this weekend.

Vinyl TCR on the door is subtle and understated. I didn't go for the shouty hexagon decals. Looks really good.

Arrived on Pirellis so will swap out for Michelin CS2s. I guess the Pretoria only get the CS2s ex factory.

Shot with the GT4 which is a paint to sample colour - 7A1 Grey Black for comparison. Pure Grey has a bit more blue in it (colder) and in direct sunlight, is a bit darker than Audi's Nardo Grey but tone is very similar. Grey Black is much warmer in sunlight.

If anyone is considering one, you won't go wrong with Pure Grey. If anyone wants any pictures or images of spec choices, happy to take them for you, just comment and I'll do them this weekend.

It looks great there, not out of place with the GT4, a nice compliment to that awesome piece of kit

It has come across as a grey/blue and having a different personality depending on the sunlight, but having seen the white and the black the grey is definitely coming across as the best colour for the trim to blend with.

Most of the promo work was with the pure grey and the red and think thats no coincidence as its likely the red is the next best colour.

Know this is a gimmick but be good to see the TCR puddle light logo when lights go down

My Golf R definitely gained an increase exhaust note as the miles went on it, so think you cannot judge this until run in and with a few thousand miles on it

there are many videos where you presume the cars are well run in, definitely demonstrating a decent exhaust note and apparently the stainless exhaust is made with a decent note in mind - is it true there is no Aktuator? that be good to know?

Like others be great to see the CS next to the TCR, going to be a great shot

Seeing yours has made mine seem such a long wait now haha, so be feeding off your experience for a while it seems, and particularly the ride and drive, and how compares with the CS?

Mine would obviously be compared to the R - expectation is it will be very similar in ride (comfort may feel like the R normal) performance, lighter in handling and with some wet road scramble of the wheels at time

But to see some photos that are not on the forecourt and from a friendly has been great, and we look forward to seeing some more AGB
« Last Edit: 22 May 2019, 11:17 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #658 on: 22 May 2019, 08:10 »
I thought this thread needed a few more pictures. I took these before the car went off to the detailer but it really needs a proper clean. Also having our drive graded and resurfaced properly after the developer's incompetent attempts so feel a sense of achievement in having missed the earth moving equipment from the shots! The paint had the surface texture of sandpaper after shipping and production, I think the matt mirrors were smoother than the paint.

Dealer did as I asked and left the car entirely sealed including the roof and bonnet covers. I checked the car with a Scangrip inspection lamp and it's in pretty good condition. Orange peel all over it as I have come to expect from VW (particularly on C pillar) and there are a couple of sanding marks and a few light swirls which could be from the protective covers rubbing on corners. Minor work with an orbital polisher and actually a good colour to work on - hides the dirt well but enough contrast to work on unlike white which washes out with hot spots and makes it hard to inspect with directional inspection lights.

Given how pronounced the rear diffuser is, I'm thinking of putting some PPF on to it as it's going to suck up muck and be a nightmare to keep scratch free without a level of polishing and care that life is too short for.

Only initial impressions of the car (while keeping the revs down) is that the steering is very light. The exhaust doesn't have the crackle and pops of the CSS and sounds quite muted. Whether it'll bed in and become a bit more throaty remains to be seen but I've run it through all modes including sport. I'll post some pictures of the CSS and TCR together this weekend.

Vinyl TCR on the door is subtle and understated. I didn't go for the shouty hexagon decals. Looks really good.

Arrived on Pirellis so will swap out for Michelin CS2s. I guess the Pretoria only get the CS2s ex factory.

Shot with the GT4 which is a paint to sample colour - 7A1 Grey Black for comparison. Pure Grey has a bit more blue in it (colder) and in direct sunlight, is a bit darker than Audi's Nardo Grey but tone is very similar. Grey Black is much warmer in sunlight.

If anyone is considering one, you won't go wrong with Pure Grey. If anyone wants any pictures or images of spec choices, happy to take them for you, just comment and I'll do them this weekend.

It looks great there, not out of place with the GT4, a nice compliment to that awesome piece of kit

It has come across as a grey/blue and having a different personality depending on the sunlight, but having seen the white and the black the grey is definitely coming across as the best colour for the trim to blend with.

Most of the promo work was with the pure grey and the red and think thats no coincidence as its likely the red is the next best colour.

My Golf R definitely gained an increase exhaust note as the miles went on it, so think you cannot judge this until run in and with a few thousand miles on it

there are many videos where you presume the cars are well run in, definitely demonstrating a decent exhaust note and apparently the stainless exhaust is made with a decent note in mind

Like others be great to see the CS next to the TCR, going to be a great shot

Seeing yours has made mine seem such a long wait now haha, so be feeding off your experience for a while it seems, and particularly the ride and drive, and how compares with the CS?

In terms of steering, and you stating its light, it says in a few places that the 2 x performance packs give progressive steering? and have also read the steering software has been reconfigured and so it should behave differently from the R, GTI PP and CS?

Its been stated in a few videos that there is good feel from the steering, (Carfection I think) where you sometimes hear that steering is not that engaging on previous models

Does anyone have any better understanding of the steering changes that comes with the TCR?

Mine would obviously be compared to the R - expectation is it will be very similar in ride (comfort may feel like the R normal) performance, lighter in handling and with some wet road scramble of the wheels at time

But to see some photos that are not on the forecourt and from a friendly has been great, and we look forward to seeing some more AGB

Offline Clubsport S

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #659 on: 22 May 2019, 21:44 »

I just did this snap on my iPhone so the angle is broadly similar but it shows the difference in the rear of the CSS and TCR. I suspect there won't be a cutting pattern for the PPF in Xpel yet.

Great comparison shot. TCR diffuser does look huge. Interested to hear how it drives in comparison too (when you get clearance to have a go  :wink:).